Letter to the future

RHJunior
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1689
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: WV
Contact:

Post by RHJunior »

Boy, I can't let you people off the leash for a MINUTE, can I? :D

As to 100 years not being all that long.... not all that long ago they were walloped with an epidemic--- a fever that killed off a lot of the very old, and very young. (This will come up in the comic itself, eventually.) Most of the Elders are, in fact, more "Late-Middle-Agers." You will note that Gilder's fur hasn't even started to whiten yet. The current elders were little more than children when the Village was founded. (the Ennias Longscript notes, btw, should be regarded as having been written rather shortly after the founding of Freeman Downs.)

Besides which, 100 years is a long time to remember anything. Heck, 10 years is a long time to remember anything.
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert

User avatar
Jaydub
Regular Poster
Posts: 699
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:18 pm
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Post by Jaydub »

SolidusRaccoon wrote:
Madmoonie wrote:
SolidusRaccoon wrote: It is a conspiracy, the real reason it has been covered up is........... Please send me anchovies if you wish to know, info this good is worth selling.
Do you really know or just trying to get free fish?
I plead the fifth.
Are you sure you did not drink it? :lol: :lol:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams

User avatar
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Ohio

Post by Tom Mazanec »

RHJunior wrote:Boy, I can't let you people off the leash for a MINUTE, can I? :D

As to 100 years not being all that long.... not all that long ago they were walloped with an epidemic--- a fever that killed off a lot of the very old, and very young. (This will come up in the comic itself, eventually.) Most of the Elders are, in fact, more "Late-Middle-Agers." You will note that Gilder's fur hasn't even started to whiten yet. The current elders were little more than children when the Village was founded. (the Ennias Longscript notes, btw, should be regarded as having been written rather shortly after the founding of Freeman Downs.)

Besides which, 100 years is a long time to remember anything. Heck, 10 years is a long time to remember anything.
Then a kingdom on the border of Racconia knows about the Rac Conan Daimh, and has done so for eight or nine decades. What kind of reaction have they had?
Forum Mongoose

User avatar
Narnian
Regular Poster
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:25 pm
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

Post by Narnian »

RHJunior wrote:Boy, I can't let you people off the leash for a MINUTE, can I? :D
I think electric collars would work better with this crowd.
RHJunior wrote:Besides which, 100 years is a long time to remember anything. Heck, 10 years is a long time to remember anything.
Remember what?
Pax,
Richard
-------------
"We are all fallen creatures and all very hard to live with", C. S. Lewis

Labrusca
Regular Poster
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: Directly over the center of the earth.

Post by Labrusca »

RHJunior wrote: The current elders were little more than children when the Village was founded.
Ah-HAH! Then the book Quentyn just got hold of actually COULD tell about the current "elders" and how to deal with them. Hmm. Could this earlier questor have recorded some dirt on them?
There's no insanity in my family. *I* have it all!!

User avatar
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:44 am
Location: Slightly south of Tampa, Florida

Post by Squeaky Bunny »

SolidusRaccoon wrote:
Madmoonie wrote:
SolidusRaccoon wrote: It is a conspiracy, the real reason it has been covered up is........... Please send me anchovies if you wish to know, info this good is worth selling.
Do you really know or just trying to get free fish?
I plead the fifth.
I thought only Agave worms came in a fifth.
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:

User avatar
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:44 am
Location: Slightly south of Tampa, Florida

Post by Squeaky Bunny »

labrusca wrote:
RHJunior wrote: The current elders were little more than children when the Village was founded.
Ah-HAH! Then the book Quentyn just got hold of actually COULD tell about the current "elders" and how to deal with them. Hmm. Could this earlier questor have recorded some dirt on them?
If it did, then the only 'dirt' that would have been around at that time would be playground battles or problems that someone has with toilet training.

I think I'll wait and see what happens on this one.

*sits back and idly plays a bit with a birthday balloon.*
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:

Squirrelly61104
Regular Poster
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:11 am
Location: Sitting up and facing forward. Why?

Forgetting something important

Post by Squirrelly61104 »

I think everyone here is missing something important.
I can't remember exactly where it is mentioned (and it hasn't even been one hundred years yet!) but as for the last questor to actually live in Questor Downs,
Quentyn of Ridgedale disapeared mysteriously a century ago!
(cue ominous thunder)
Perhaps this book will give our Quentyn a clue as to what took out his illustrious predecessor.
You can fool some of the people all of the time
And all of the people some of the time
But you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

User avatar
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: Right here for now.

Re: Forgetting something important

Post by Sharuuk »

squirrelly61104 wrote:Quentyn of Ridgedale disapeared mysteriously a century ago!
(cue ominous thunder)
Perhaps this book will give our Quentyn a clue as to what took out his illustrious predecessor.
Which brings us back to the question of (a) How old is Master Rillcreek and (b) could he possibly BE "Quentyn of Ridgedale"?

S'aaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!

User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

Squeaky Bunny wrote:
labrusca wrote:
RHJunior wrote: The current elders were little more than children when the Village was founded.
Ah-HAH! Then the book Quentyn just got hold of actually COULD tell about the current "elders" and how to deal with them. Hmm. Could this earlier questor have recorded some dirt on them?
If it did, then the only 'dirt' that would have been around at that time would be playground battles or problems that someone has with toilet training.

I think I'll wait and see what happens on this one.

*sits back and idly plays a bit with a birthday balloon.*
Happy bleeping Birthday!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Re: Forgetting something important

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

squirrelly61104 wrote: Perhaps this book will give our Quentyn a clue as to what took out his illustrious predecessor.
Drowned in a sea of red tape.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

Tip #1: Politicians and bureaucrats are a pain in the tail; you just have to learn to deal with them.

Tip #2: Politicians and bureaucrats are a pain in the tail; you just have to learn to deal with them.

Tip #3 I really mean it, they will drive you nuts.

Tip #4: Seriously, these guys are a pain; I would rather fight a horde of dragons than deal with a petty little red tape monger.

Tip #5: You would be better off cleaning out septic pools.

Tip #6: Well have fun, just make sure not to let the bureaucrats drive ya nuts.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

User avatar
UncleMonty
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1789
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm

Post by UncleMonty »

SolidusRaccoon wrote:Tip #1: Politicians and bureaucrats are a pain in the tail; you just have to learn to deal with them.

Tip #2: Politicians and bureaucrats are a pain in the tail; you just have to learn to deal with them.

Tip #3 I really mean it, they will drive you nuts.

Tip #4: Seriously, these guys are a pain; I would rather fight a horde of dragons than deal with a petty little red tape monger.

Tip #5: You would be better off cleaning out septic pools.

Tip #6: Well have fun, just make sure not to let the bureaucrats drive ya nuts.
Footnote to page 1: The danger lies in long exposure to bureaucratic and political corruption. If what at first glance looked like a political cesspool, now begins to resemble a hot tub... Then it is time to get out and become a farmer.
Avoid those who speak badly of the people, for such wish to rule over you.

User avatar
MalamiteLtd
Regular Poster
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:31 pm
Contact:

Post by MalamiteLtd »

...Steyer?

X3

Mwalimu
Regular Poster
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: Bloomington, IL
Contact:

Post by Mwalimu »

Mike Fang wrote:We know Quentyn was named after Quentyn of Ridgedale, but that's the only past Questor we've heard of, that I can remember anyway.
Two other historical questors have been mentioned, Fleet and Abram. I couldn't locate the exact strips, but I believe both mentions were around the time Quentyn was working for the Millfolk.

RHJunior
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1689
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: WV
Contact:

Post by RHJunior »

Tom Mazanec wrote:
Then a kingdom on the border of Racconia knows about the Rac Conan Daimh, and has done so for eight or nine decades. What kind of reaction have they had?
You're assuming that Ennias' kingdom was right on the border.
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert

User avatar
Maxgoof
Regular Poster
Posts: 961
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:40 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Forgetting something important

Post by Maxgoof »

Sharuuk wrote:
squirrelly61104 wrote:Quentyn of Ridgedale disapeared mysteriously a century ago!
(cue ominous thunder)
Perhaps this book will give our Quentyn a clue as to what took out his illustrious predecessor.
Which brings us back to the question of (a) How old is Master Rillcreek and (b) could he possibly BE "Quentyn of Ridgedale"?

S'aaruuk
Okay, the writer of the background information, who actually *met* Quentyn of Ridgedale described Questors as not very adept in magic, or fighting, or anything else but tenacity. In other words, Questors are very much like Jacob, who, even if totally beaten and broken, simply will not give up.

I doubt that the writer would say that if Quentyn of Ridgedale had as much ability in magic as Rillcreek (unless his hat lies).
Max Goof
"You gotta be loose...relaxed...with your feet apart, and...Ten o'clock. Two o'clock. Quarter to three! Tour jete! Twist! Over! Pas de deux! I'm a little teapot! And the windup...and let 'er fly! The Perfect Cast!" --Goofy

User avatar
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: Right here for now.

Re: Forgetting something important

Post by Sharuuk »

maxgoof wrote:I doubt that the writer would say that if Quentyn of Ridgedale had as much ability in magic as Rillcreek (unless his hat lies).
Check the 2nd strip at the very beginning of the Questor series. Quentyn of Ridgedale is thusly discribed:

"and although no wizard, was a skilled master of magic." (emphasis mine)

If indeed Rillcreek is Q of R, if he "vanished without a trace over 100yrs ago", couldn't a 'skilled master of magic' aquire enough practice and enhanced skills over a century to become a wizard? And it's a great disguise and method to monitor his village and maybe even covertly train the next Questor.

Just something to think about...

S'aaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!

User avatar
NydaLynn
Regular Poster
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:50 am
Location: Amish Country, PA
Contact:

Re: Forgetting something important

Post by NydaLynn »

Sharuuk wrote:
maxgoof wrote:I doubt that the writer would say that if Quentyn of Ridgedale had as much ability in magic as Rillcreek (unless his hat lies).
Check the 2nd strip at the very beginning of the Questor series. Quentyn of Ridgedale is thusly discribed:

"and although no wizard, was a skilled master of magic." (emphasis mine)

If indeed Rillcreek is Q of R, if he "vanished without a trace over 100yrs ago", couldn't a 'skilled master of magic' aquire enough practice and enhanced skills over a century to become a wizard? And it's a great disguise and method to monitor his village and maybe even covertly train the next Questor.

Just something to think about...

S'aaruuk
Maybe yes and maybe no. I would think that it would take alot of preactice to overcome getting low lux abilities.
"Que Sera Sera..."
<a href="http://nydalynn.deviantart.com"> Deviant Art stuff</a>

User avatar
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: Right here for now.

Re: Forgetting something important

Post by Sharuuk »

NydaLynn wrote:
Sharuuk wrote:
maxgoof wrote:I doubt that the writer would say that if Quentyn of Ridgedale had as much ability in magic as Rillcreek (unless his hat lies).
Check the 2nd strip at the very beginning of the Questor series. Quentyn of Ridgedale is thusly discribed:

"and although no wizard, was a skilled master of magic." (emphasis mine)

If indeed Rillcreek is Q of R, if he "vanished without a trace over 100yrs ago", couldn't a 'skilled master of magic' aquire enough practice and enhanced skills over a century to become a wizard? And it's a great disguise and method to monitor his village and maybe even covertly train the next Questor.

Just something to think about...

S'aaruuk
Maybe yes and maybe no. I would think that it would take alot of preactice to overcome getting low lux abilities.
But the discription of Q of R doesn't describe low lux abilities. And besides, what have we actually seen Mstr Rillcreek DO with his abilities? Checking out WC didn't seem to require all that much ability.....it simply showed him that he needed a specialist..Mstr Irons.

S'aaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!

Post Reply