National Talk like a Pirate Day?

L33t Skillz
Regular Poster

National Talk like a Pirate Day?

Post by L33t Skillz »

Is this a real holiday or just one made up for the strip? And, if it is real, what day is it exactly? The comic was posted on October 13, but they said it was on the 20th. 20th of October? There was another refrence to it way back in the comics, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now.
(Sorry if this is a topic that's been asked before. If you're gonna flame me for bringing up a overused topic do it quickly. Also while you're flaming if you could answer the question that would be cool.)

Nick Pavlovski
Regular Poster

Re: National Talk like a Pirate Day?

Post by Nick Pavlovski »

l33t Skillz wrote:Is this a real holiday or just one made up for the strip?
It's a real day, alright...I think this year there are too many other things going on (elections in both USA and Australia, plus killings everywhere) that it has already lost momentum.

I can't remember the exact date of it, though.

L33t Skillz
Regular Poster

Post by L33t Skillz »

Alright, I did a little bit of research (Google is our friend, for now. See rant later.) and I found
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html
the original Talk Like a Pirate Day website. Apparently TLAPD was on September 19th, 2003; and repeats itself on Sept 19 every year.
In retrospect, I probably could have found that out easily without having to post the question. However, now people like me who were too lazy to do their own research have the answer too! Frabjous day!

Nick Pavlovski
Regular Poster

Post by Nick Pavlovski »

It's a fair question.

...and I'm a librarian, so I'm used to answering questions.

Darth Paradox
Regular Poster

Re: National Talk like a Pirate Day?

Post by Darth Paradox »

l33t Skillz wrote:Is this a real holiday or just one made up for the strip? And, if it is real, what day is it exactly? The comic was posted on October 13, but they said it was on the 20th. 20th of October? There was another refrence to it way back in the comics, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now.
(Sorry if this is a topic that's been asked before. If you're gonna flame me for bringing up a overused topic do it quickly. Also while you're flaming if you could answer the question that would be cool.)
Sorry, I haven't been around the forum much (or around the comic)... classes have been keeping me very, very busy.

September 19th is Talk Like A Pirate Day. This comic was originally planned to "air" the day after that, but then life happened. Oh, well.

Welcome to the forums! We'll have more comics soon...
-Darth Paradox

Scatterplot - a thrice-weekly webcomic

Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man far better than through mortal friends.
-S. Weir Mitchell