What Do You Think Is Funny?

Postby Ronski46 on Tue Jan 15, 2002 10:46 am

George Carlin is funny.<P>Yeah, I liked Stevo, too.<P>Richard Pryor was funny back in the old Long Beach Concert days.<P>These guys were great stand-up comedians. And Steve was great in The Jerk. But sometimes stand-up comedians don't fly in other formats.<P>I liked the first couple of years of Seinfeld. Then it went downhill, IMO.<P>I liked the old Saturday Night Live. Belushi and company.<P>I like Steven Wright. Don't see him much anymore.<P>Hey, Gary Larson, of course.<P>Airplane was a hoot.<P>Forgetting tons of stuff, I know.<P>------------------
Ronski
<A HREF="http://public-eyes.com" TARGET=_blank>Public Eyes</A>
Mon/Wed/Fri!
Ronski46

Postby Scatman on Tue Jan 15, 2002 12:54 pm

I know that there's all differnt types of humor out there, and all kinds of people with different tastes. But I was just wondering what some of you find funny either personally or in the media.<P>I usually enjoy the humor of people who don't take themselves too seriously. When my friends and I get together, we usually laugh at our own personal quirks and habits. I think that's why I enjoy being with them so much. It's nearly impossible to embarass yourself, because anything one of us does or says that's stupid is just fuel for the laughter. Conversely, when I'm with people who take themselves too seriosly, I feel like the wolf in a trap that wants to gnaw his foot off to get away.<P>But looking at humor in the media, there are a few things I find funny, and a few I just don't get. Just a few musings:<P>Steve Martin: Used to be very funny when he appeared to not take himself seriously. "The Jerk" and many of his early movies were great. Then he tried to create movies with meaning, and things started to bog down.<P>Chris Elliot: An underappreciated and brilliant buffon. "Get a Life" made me laugh consistently.<P>The Simpsons: Used to be great, now just pretty good. Lost a lot of good writers. Now relies too much on outlandish plots and celebrity cameos.<P>King of the Hill: Took a while for me to get it, but now it's one of my favorites. Taken with a grain of salt, the characters and plots are believable and funny.<P>Other Cartoons: Thumbs up to Johnny Bravo, Home Movies, Baby Blues, probably others I'm forgetting. I'm told that Sponge Bob Squarepants is good, but I haven't seen it much.<P>Robin Williams: Brilliant but insecure? Used to take machinegun approach to humor. Shot fast and hoped something would hit. Now it seems that he wants to be seen as a dramatic actor with something meaningful to say. Same neediness, different goal.<P>Bob Saget: Please, someone explain the appeal of this boring android.<P>David Letterman: Is aging well. Still the best late night show, but I usually try to get to sleep before he's on.<P>I could go on, and I may add some things, but you get what I'm looking for. What's funny to you? What's been successful in the media that you just don't get?<p>[This message has been edited by Scatman (edited 01-15-2002).]
Scatman
Regular Poster

Postby Scatman on Wed Jan 16, 2002 6:03 am

Steve Wright is funny. I hope he's still out there.<P>I can't resist peeking ahead in my Far Side calendar. Larson is a lot like Wright. Both can look at things in a completely twisted way and make you think.<P>Airplane was good, but I look at the newest stuff the great Leslie Nielsen has done, and I feel bad for him. But I guess he's being well paid.<P>Also, just about anything Mel Brooks has done is great.<p>[This message has been edited by Scatman (edited 01-16-2002).]
Scatman
Regular Poster

Postby GregCartoonist on Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:41 am

Douglas Adams was a funny writer.
Bill Engvall is a funny comedian.
Bob Staake is a funny illustrator.
Jim Carrey is a funny actor.<P>Lots of times, when a person reaches a successful high point in his or her career, they try to achieve similar successes in similar careers. Steve Martin wants to be as admired a writer as a comedian, for instance. He's a man of depth and education. I'm certain it was galling to him as he matured and uncovered new depth in his humor and his life to still be considered 'The Jerk'. Witness also Michael Jordan, Bill Sienkewicz, and Mr. T. All fine, successful people in one field, then they felt the need to expand and achieve 'legitimacy'. It's understandable, but....<P>BUT...<P>If Tony Hawk tries to expand his empire beyond skateboarding, watch out for some funny results. I'mo start writin' gags now, just in case.
GregCartoonist
Regular Poster

Postby Scatman on Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:33 pm

Steve Martin, Robin Williams, and now Jim Carrey all seem to have developed a sense that they need to do something more meaningful. It just seems so much more desperate with Carrey, and especially Williams. Some of their dramatic work has been okay, but Williams especially seems like he's talking down to his audience in his dramatic roles. Bicentennial Man?
Scatman
Regular Poster

Postby Yupyop on Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:47 am

I enjoy the strange humor of INVADER ZIM, Jack Cole and Steven Wright. I enjoy the word play of SHEEP IN THE BIG CITY, Jay Ward and George Carlin. I enjoy the humor of Mark Tonra (JAMES, TOP OF THE WORLD). I enjoy subtle satire of KING AROO.
A good example of my personal style of humor is the writer Gregory McDonald (FLETCH, FLYNN).
Yupyop
Regular Poster

Return to Home Fries