3-day-a-week syndication possible?

Postby Ronski46 on Wed Dec 26, 2001 3:50 am

Well, I know it's <I>possible</I> because Ted Rall did it, but it ain't too likely, is it?<P>------------------
Ronski
<A HREF="http://public-eyes.com" TARGET=_blank>Public Eyes</A>
Mon/Wed/Fri!
Ronski46

Postby Scatman on Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:55 am

That's probably pretty rare, but maybe some of the more astute out there can shed some light. I know I've gone on vacation, and I think it was The Baltimore Sun that alternated back and forth between two panels in one space. Maybe they were two three-per-week toons?<P>Anyhow, I'm sure it would be an awfully hard sell to the syndicates.
Scatman
Regular Poster

Postby Ronski46 on Thu Dec 27, 2001 1:32 am

Yeah, Yup. I read in some book that if you're lucky enough to get your daily syndicated by a major player, and if they start you off in 100 papers or so, you'll only make about $200 a week. So three-a-week would cut that down to about $85, and that's assuming they can get 100 papers to take you 3-a-week. And also assuming the syndie would want to bother with you for their part of the slim pickings.<P>Daily, I guess, is the only viable route for character-based strips.<P>------------------
Ronski
<A HREF="http://public-eyes.com" TARGET=_blank>Public Eyes</A>
Mon/Wed/Fri!
Ronski46

Postby Yupyop on Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:08 am

The LA Times used to alternate all their panels as well as WIZARD OF ID and BC. Since most papers own the rights to more comics than they print it is possible to do this. Since so many panels are similar and feature random gags few readers notice that CLOSE TO HOME is in Thursday paper instead LOOSE PARTS.
Becoming a weekly comic such as PRINCE VALIANT or LIFE IN HELL makes more sense than three days a week. This opens the alternative paper market and the Sunday papers to your work. The three day a week schedule is not a good idea for the cartoonist with a cast of characters. Comics are addictive. People are loyal to such over the hill comics as CATHY and HAGAR THE HORRIBLE because the characters have become part of the readers daily routine. PRINCE VALIANT works since many people such as myself buy only the Sunday paper. LIFE IN HELL works since reading the Weekly paper is also part of people's routine. Know anybody who reads the paper 3 times a week?
Finally, and most importantly, we all know how little the newspapers pay for a week's worth of comics. Can the cartoonist survive splitting that in half with another cartoonist?
Yupyop
Regular Poster

Return to Home Fries