Welcome to the Forum!

Postby Ronski46 on Sun Dec 02, 2001 2:17 am

I kind of live or die with each new strip, something I need to get over. If nobody seems to like one, I get a little down and start with, "Who am I kidding? I'm not a cartoonist!" Maybe you're familiar with that feeling, too. But then I just do another one.<P>Yeah, I was surprised at the response on the Tony's Pizza thing. Many of my posts over there go begging. You're right. You have to make your own call and go with it. And no matter what you do, someone will come up with a "better" way you could've done it. You have to sift through it all and pick out the good info. If you listened to everybody, you'd end up with a strip "created by committee," and it would be poo-poo.<P>The older PE strips were penciled, inked, and scanned. In grayscale. <P>With #24, I started drawing them directly in Flash 5.0. Using a mouse instead of a graphics tablet because I can't afford one right now. I use Flash much like some would use Animator--as an illustration program, not for animation. I work at 1200x372 in Flash, save the file as a static GIF file. Resize it down 50% in PaintShop Pro. Add a two-pixel white border all around. And that's that.<P>Because Flash allows you to save images in libraries and reuse them, I don't have to draw each new strip from scratch. (Blasphemy, I know!) I do, however, modify almost everything. I have to change head positions, expressions, posture, gestures, and the likes in each new strip. <P>The long and short of it: it takes me about 4-5 hours to do a Flash strip. The old pen-and-ink way took only about 2 hours. But I think the color and the fonts look better to the <I>average</I> reader and are worth the extra time. To cartoonists and others "in the know," I'm sure the whole PE thing looks a little tacky and thin, but I have no plans to go back to the old ways.<P>Sorry, another War-and-Peace post!
<P>------------------
Ronski
<A HREF="http://public-eyes.com" TARGET=_blank>http://public-eyes.com</A>
Ronski46

Postby Scatman on Sun Dec 02, 2001 11:36 am

More mysteries of cartooning: I've had strips I felt were only so-so that people have told me they really liked. I've also had strips that I thought were incredibly clever that I had to explain to everyone because I was the only one who saw the humor.<P>I also feel like a pretender when I can't find the time to get 3 strips a week out when the pros have to average one a day.<P>Believe me, I know what it's like feeling down about my work. But I remind myself every so often that I have to do this because I enjoy it first. Anything that happens after that is icing on the cake.
Scatman
Regular Poster

Postby GregCartoonist on Mon Dec 03, 2001 9:24 am

As for 'more mysteries of cartooning'- I work with writers more often than not. Jay Schiller and I have worked on three or four features together (depending on how you want to count) over the years. Not only is it odd to find cartoons on which you and your readers' opinions differ, but I've told Jay that certain cartoons scripts of his are totally useless dookey, only to discover other people (whose opinions I trust) tell me they're hilarious. I've also found specially funny (In my opinion) cartoons he's written, only to be told that no one gets them at all. <P>It's all so confusing.<P>J.R.R. Tolkein, in the foreword to The Lord Of The Rings, said something like this: 'It's impossible to please everyone at all points and displease everyone at the same points.'<P>All you can do is please yourself and hope that you're part of a crowd.
GregCartoonist
Regular Poster

Postby GregCartoonist on Mon Dec 03, 2001 9:26 am

As for 'more mysteries of cartooning'- I work with writers more often than not. Jay Schiller and I have worked on three or four features together (depending on how you want to count) over the years. Not only is it odd to find cartoons on which you and your readers' opinions differ, but I've told Jay that certain cartoons scripts of his are totally useless dookey, only to discover other people (whose opinions I trust) tell me they're hilarious. I've also found specially funny (In my opinion) cartoons he's written, only to be told that no one gets them at all. <P>It's all so confusing.<P>J.R.R. Tolkein, in the foreword to The Lord Of The Rings, said something like this: 'It's impossible to please everyone at all points and displease everyone at the same points.'<P>All you can do is please yourself and hope that you're part of a crowd.
GregCartoonist
Regular Poster

Postby Ronski46 on Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:56 am

Yeah...the ones I think are borderline so-so generally get better responses than the ones I feel best about. What I dread are the DGI's (don't get it's).<P>I had one about a used parachute with a money-back guarantee, and I had to explain to one person that if the parachute failed to open, the guy wasn't going to be <I>around</I> to get his money back. The explanation led to, "Oh, now I get it!" Well, maybe it wasn't a great gag, but the reasoning behind it seemed obvious...to me, anyway.<P>------------------
Ronski
<A HREF="http://public-eyes.com" TARGET=_blank>http://public-eyes.com</A>
Ronski46

Previous

Return to Home Fries