Oh!

Oh!

Postby Bushipunk on Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:13 am

Now I know who she is... Man, she looks different without her crazy hairdo.

Bushi
Life can be seen like chess, or pinball. In chess you try to win, thus ending the game, as quickly as possible. In pinball, the goal is to keep playing.

I like chess, but I'd rather play pinball.
Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Postby Guildenstern on Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:34 pm

Missing the extensive tattooing is also kind of a throw off.

This does add some interesting backstory about her. Claws, wings, ghost personalities... a bit more complex than the simple psycho with the trigger to a cortex bomb we first met.

... god, I love this comic.
Ziox: Now with lapitithamine.
Guildenstern
Regular Poster

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:38 pm

:-?
OK, I can't figure out what you guys are talking about. Care to share?
'Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-intrest gives you more leverage.' -Lazarus Long
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Postby Guildenstern on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:01 am

Guildenstern
Regular Poster

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:37 am

She certainly looks different, doesn't she. Not to mention shes gone psyco and pair bonded at an early age.
The wings were also a suprise. What critters, other then angels and devils, have feather hide-a-wings?
This also made me think about Hel (why? i don't know), shes the Incarnate of Death and all that that implies and she is also half angel, allowing her to draw on angelic powers. So she is theoretically stronger now then she has ever been.
'Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-intrest gives you more leverage.' -Lazarus Long
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Postby Acolyte on Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:19 pm

Seafog the 3rd wrote:What critters, other then angels and devils, have feather hide-a-wings?
This also made me think about Hel (why? i don't know)

Well, Hel probably doesn't have them. http://strangedaze.keenspace.com/d/20001113.html Not that she appears to suffer for their lack or anything. We've seen they can be a distinct disadvantage if even a top-ranking angel is off his guard. http://strangedaze.keenspace.com/d/20020626.html
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Half-angel?

Postby Bushipunk on Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:05 am

Seafog the 3rd wrote:The wings were also a suprise. What critters, other then angels and devils, have feather hide-a-wings?

Elephants. Never seen a winged elephant, you say? Well, that just proves they're good at hiding them.

This also made me think about Hel (why? i don't know), shes the Incarnate of Death and all that that implies and she is also half angel, allowing her to draw on angelic powers. So she is theoretically stronger now then she has ever been.

Is she actually "half angel"? In previous discussions I think the general agreement was that "parentage" among angels means something different, particularly I would imagine in the case of a "daughter" who predates angels by a significant length of time. We've never actually seen Hel use any angelic powers, and while she's made reference to blasting people with Light, etc, Strange Daze has an established tradition of people not understanding the source of their abilities. She hasn't made any such references since remembering her identity/nature anyway.

Edit: Witness the following exchanges about interrogation methods, from before and after Hel's revelation.

Before: http://strangedaze.keenspace.com/d/20010104.html
After: http://strangedaze.keenspace.com/d/20040913.html

Bushi
Life can be seen like chess, or pinball. In chess you try to win, thus ending the game, as quickly as possible. In pinball, the goal is to keep playing.

Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Re: Half-angel?

Postby Acolyte on Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:48 am

Bushipunk wrote:Is she actually "half angel"?

Yes. See the last post from Matt.

Perhaps the relevant difference between the two interrogation methods wasn't so much Thera's condition of self-knowledge, but the fact that in the latter case they had already been killed. Dead people tend to be fairly unresponsive when questioned.
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Guildenstern on Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:55 pm

I think it might have also been because she'd lost control and already ate them. The whole needing to replenish lost body mass thing?
Guildenstern
Regular Poster

Postby Acolyte on Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:19 am

Surely, with brains tasting so much like ass, there were tastier parts she could have devoured if that was the issue. Even with ghouls.

Hmm. How does she know raw brains taste like ass? Did she do a comparison taste-test one day?

Edit: And what's with the new forum titles anyway? I liked the old ones better.
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Bushipunk on Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:51 pm

Acolyte wrote:Hmm. How does she know raw brains taste like ass? Did she do a comparison taste-test one day?

I'd assume it's recovered memory, as it were. She was Hel long before she was Thera, after all. I'm still pretty confident that "eat their brains, gain their knowledge" isn't a normal angelic ability.

Bushi

Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Postby Acolyte on Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:42 pm

Bushipunk wrote:I'm still pretty confident that "eat their brains, gain their knowledge" isn't a normal angelic ability.

Maybe it's not one they normally use, but remember they're really "ideovores". "Idea" in ancient usage suggests "image" "symbol" or "form", which may mean nothing else than that they have no forms of their own and must take them from another source, but here it might also mean "idea" in the modern sense. They might therefore be "idea eaters" in a fairly literal way. Remember that demons are of the same origin, and this is definitely a demonic ability.
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Orion on Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:45 pm

Acolyte wrote:Edit: And what's with the new forum titles anyway? I liked the old ones better.

there was a change after a big rehaul in the main forum area http://forums.keenspace.com/viewtopic.php?p=814588#814588

fear my denizen...ess.
NJ is also Orion's fiance of sexy passion with the love of a thousand sea monkeys

Orion
Cartoon Hero

I suppose...

Postby Bushipunk on Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:05 pm

Acolyte wrote:
Bushipunk wrote:I'm still pretty confident that "eat their brains, gain their knowledge" isn't a normal angelic ability.

Maybe it's not one they normally use, but remember they're really "ideovores".
[SNIP]
They might therefore be "idea eaters" in a fairly literal way. Remember that demons are of the same origin, and this is definitely a demonic ability.

Hm... I guess it's a question of what one means by angelic. Given that angels, demons, and in fact pretty much everything in Strange Daze started as something else (and in most cases doesn't know it), they may all possess all kinds of abilities they don't actually use or aren't aware of.

If we define angelic to mean an ability possessed, utilized or not, by angels, then I'm sold on the courting of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease as being Thera's as much as Hel's, the ideovore thing is a good point.

In general, do we define angelic based on what angels actually are, or what they're "supposed" to be?

Bushi

Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Return to Regina Felina