Conspiracies everywhere

Conspiracies everywhere

Postby Orion on Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:33 am

I'm playing a game of Call of Cthulhu where I play a ufo-ologist/conspiracy theorist, and in order to build up the character a bit more I'm been thinking up conspiracy theories to motivate my characters and weird out other players.

It occured to me that given the subject of Strange Daze and the people who roam this forum it would be interesting to see what sort of conspiracy theories (preferabbly with some kind of semi-coherency) with a bit of effort. or feel free to ignore and mock me if you feel it's stupid, whatever works.

here's one of mine, which centers around the great seal on the dollar bill:

"Most people believe the all-seeing-eye on the top of the pyramid is meant to symbolize the illuminati influence or control over the US government. However the illuminati do not truly exist, symbols like this are scattered about by world governments, creating a sort of psychological virus. Those who attempt to investigate the illuminati find only enough to keep them going further, pulling them into a web of paranoia as they begin to suspect everyone and everything.
The real secret revealed by the Seal is the Pyramid itself. The tip of the pyramid is removed indicating that the US has unlocked the secret of the un-capped pyramids, and serving as a warning to other occult societies. The pyramids of the Egyptians are merely a flawed version of the pyramids of Atlantis who in turn learned the secret from the ruins of even more ancient civilizations. A pyramid, when properly constructed, serves to gather energy from the planet and provide this power to those who constructed it. However a pyramid which is "capped" will vent the energy from the point, much like electricity will project from a pointed conductor. When uncapped the pyramid gathers the energy and stores much, much more power. However without the proper preparation an alterations an uncapped pyramid will destroy itself in a small nuclear explosion within a matter of days. So far the US is the only country known to have reproduced uncapped pyramids in modern times."

Bonus points if you can identify where I am stealing some of this from.
NJ is also Orion's fiance of sexy passion with the love of a thousand sea monkeys

Orion
Cartoon Hero

Postby Guildenstern on Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:45 am

http://www.brunching.com/lastconspiracy.html

I'm sure you can find something in there to use...
Ziox: Now with lapitithamine.
Guildenstern
Regular Poster

Postby Acolyte on Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:38 pm

I think at least some of it comes from Terry Pratchett's "Pyramids".

So! The conspiracy is that There Is No Conspiracy. Not that conspiracy, anyway.

To complete the theory, it seems to me one or more of these uncapped pyramids must be thought to actually exist somewhere. Underground, maybe? Could this be the reason for top-secret constructions like the Cheyenne Mountain NORAD base and the proposed Yucca Mountain nuclear waste disposal site?
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Orion on Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:54 am

yep, you got the pyramids reference, I always thought that was a nice image, not to mention the rest of the book
NJ is also Orion's fiance of sexy passion with the love of a thousand sea monkeys

Orion
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mirober on Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:37 pm

Heh. The one Discworld book I've never gotten around to reading (well, that and the current newest). On a sidenote, the Kidby artbook for Discworld is tremendously cool, for those interested in the series.

I'll think a bit on conspiracies, see if I can't come up with some ideas to toss at you. Of course, you could always go for the best and pick up a copy of Suppressed Transmissions.

Hope the game goes well!
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:11 pm

Yep, it was pretty sweet. Now I have to try and track down the Pratchett Portfolio that was mentioned in the Kidby book.
I've been mixing up Demon and Devil, sorry about that :oops:
'Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-intrest gives you more leverage.' -Lazarus Long
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:14 am

Seafog the 3rd wrote:Yep, it was pretty sweet. Now I have to try and track down the Pratchett Portfolio that was mentioned in the Kidby book.
I've been mixing up Demon and Devil, sorry about that :oops:

I found a copy of it when I was in London; most of it is reprinted in the new collection.
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Acolyte on Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:54 pm

Seafog the 3rd wrote:I've been mixing up Demon and Devil, sorry about that :oops:

Outside an RPG I'm not sure there's a meaningful difference.
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:31 pm

The term 'most' is the problem here :x Kind of like the reprint of The Last Hero in paperback. It had additional artwork in it, so it sucks I missed that, but it also removed one or two of the better pieces as well, so I don't want to replace my hardcover. Mind if I come over to take a look at it? :oops:

Actually Acolyte, in Strange Daze there is a difference. Demon refers to the original, individualistic, spawn of the Quipp (I can't spell it). Devil refers to the invaders of Hell, who are more organized and communal oriented due to the influence of Angelic blood. At least I think thats the case. Regardless, that is the difference, the originals are Demons, the new guys are Devils.
'Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-intrest gives you more leverage.' -Lazarus Long
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:51 pm

Seafog the 3rd wrote:The term 'most' is the problem here :x Kind of like the reprint of The Last Hero in paperback. It had additional artwork in it, so it sucks I missed that, but it also removed one or two of the better pieces as well, so I don't want to replace my hardcover. Mind if I come over to take a look at it? :oops:

Heh. Understood completely: I'm in the same boat, as regards to Last Hero.

Actually Acolyte, in Strange Daze there is a difference.

I'm fairly certain Acolyte meant in real life. When I first read your comment, I didn't immediatley realize that you where referring to your usage in the other thread; I imagine the same thing happened with Acolyte.
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:23 pm

What, you didn't get access to The Last Hero? :-? Or have I missed something here?
So, how much different material is there is The Pratchett Portfolio?
Hmm, I didn't get that from Acolytes post, I still can't see that in it. But, whatever, it's all good.
So Matt, you liked the R.O.D TV series? I liked the OVA, and the description of the TV series had me worried and turned me off from trying it. I also just bought the complete Tenchi Muyo GXP on ebay, I can't wait to watch it!
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:23 pm

Seafog the 3rd wrote:What, you didn't get access to The Last Hero? :-? Or have I missed something here?

Nah; meant that I bought the original, and can't decide if I want to go ahead and pick up the paperback.

So, how much different material is there is The Pratchett Portfolio?

Okay, took me a while to find it (it was in with my rpg's, for some reason), and yes there is a fair bit of different material. However, I have good news: if all you care about is the artwork, simply go out and find a copy of GURPS: Discworld. From my examination, the GURPS book has all of the images from Pratchett Portfolio save one (a group shot of the Fresh Start Club from Reaper Man). So, there you go.

So Matt, you liked the R.O.D TV series? I liked the OVA, and the description of the TV series had me worried and turned me off from trying it. I also just bought the complete Tenchi Muyo GXP on ebay, I can't wait to watch it!

I would highly recommend ROD TV: it has a different set-up from what was in the OAV, but is very much set in the same world. I read something about it supposedly being inspired by Charlies Angels, but aside from there being three female lead characters who go on missions, I'd be hard pressed to draw any other parallels between the two. GXP was fun, though a bit goofier than I was hoping for. Still, I really enjoyed it (and am anxiously awaiting the new Tenchi series to be brought over, so that I can understand some of the episodes better).
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Orion on Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:37 pm

The game has been going pretty well. We've only just reached the stage where the really weird stuff is starting to go down (burrowing clockwork zombies specifically). As it turns out my character isn't the most paranoid of the group, there are some nuts among the other PCs :)

Orion
Cartoon Hero

Return to Regina Felina