An awkward conversation

Postby Acolyte on Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:26 pm

Mirober wrote:Wuh-oh. Damn, sorry, mistake on my part. In 1999 she would have been about eight years old; in 2001 (which is as far as the Strange Daze timeline has advanced), she would be 10.

Also, I should probably note that the character involved in the current story does, in fact, have secondary sexual characteristics (specifically, breasts).

Strange. I thought that was a backpack. http://strangedaze.keenspace.com/d/20050105.html What an... unusual build... :P

Oh, wait, I know who it is! It's Kane, before he had that operation!

Perfervid wrote:As a side note, the first time I ran into the word miscegenation, was when reading "The transition of titus crow" by Brian Lumley, where it was used in regards to the great old ones ability to breed with other races.
So the usage is quite similar.

Um, yes. And so if I ever run into someone who's obviously the product of a mating between a human and an orc, demon, Great Old One, or (possibly) a cow, I'll be sure to haul the word out. I was explaining to someone who'd just encountered it for the first why it's not used in the real world. Here, where we almost never encounter any of the half-breeds I mentioned above, it's most recent usage history was almost invariably racist. "The Corinthian's" use of it here connotes, to me, a strong element of self-hatred.

It would be very embarrassing to use it in a place where others might take offense to it.
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Perfervid on Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:46 pm

Hmm i remembered wrong too, it was dr landers that said Morrigan was 8.

here's the page btw.
http://strangedaze.keenspace.com/d/20030728.html
Perfervid

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:29 pm

Why are you guys calling him the Corinthian?
I sort of saw the usage as containing more of an attitude of: 'Halfbreeds! We prefer the term miscegenation.' But I can certainly see the selfloathing angle in his statement.
@Acolyte
I'm not sure of your tone in that last post, but if you were miffed, I think Perfervid was just relating a personal anctedote.
On a completely unrelated note, the new revision of MechWarrior minis is out and I'm psyched at the possibilites for play.
'Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-intrest gives you more leverage.' -Lazarus Long
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Postby Acolyte on Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:20 pm

Seafog the 3rd wrote:Why are you guys calling him the Corinthian?

It's more me, I think. He strongly resembles a character of that name from Neil Gaiman's "Sandman". I can't find an online image of him anywhere, but Sandman graphic novels are easy to find. See "The Doll's House". He's got toothy mouths where his eyes should be, occasionally speaks through them, and has a taste for human eyeballs.

I'm not sure of your tone in that last post, but if you were miffed, I think Perfervid was just relating a personal anctedote.

Only to the extent that I was trying to bring out a real-world issue but he dragged it back to a fantasy setting. One gets the impression that one is not being understood.

You guys must be too young. Trust me: no one prefers "miscegenation". It has very ugly associations.
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:05 pm

I had a whole big thing about the word, validity of connotations, wether or not it could transcend its origins, applicability in the real world and in fantasy worlds, if it should be used, etc., etc.. I even had some examples of repurposing words such as pimp (I hate this one myself), otaku, ambivelant (sp) and bad. But I couldn't get it to sound any good. :( Basically I feel it fits as an alternate word to halfbreed in this situation, as 'magic' or high level genetics seems necessary for the mating to work in the first place (Reminds me of the madeup term sophont to describe/address a sentient being.). And as we are a speculative species, it is useful to deal with the future and with fiction worlds we sometimes take too seriously. I use it strictly as a descriptive with no positive or negative implications. And I'm Canadian so I've blessedly missed some of these controversies. I still remember finding out about 'ABC' in my very late teens from a scifi book where the character used it to describe himself to some Canadians and they looked at him blankly. :lol:
Hey Matt, what connotations were you/Corinthian attempting to imply with this choice of word? Empowerment, descriptive or derogatory?
'Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-intrest gives you more leverage.' -Lazarus Long
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:23 pm

Seafog the 3rd wrote:Hey Matt, what connotations were you/Corinthian attempting to imply with this choice of word? Empowerment, descriptive or derogatory?

In this case, derogatory. Acolyte pegged it pretty well; it was meant to imply more than a bit of self-loathing. You should see why in the next two strips (which are, unfortunately, of the long bits of expository text variety; I tried to come up with a better means of conveying the information, then decided to just settle for this and move on)
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Acolyte on Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:03 pm

Seafog the 3rd wrote:And I'm Canadian so I've blessedly missed some of these controversies.

Good for you. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscegenation

I still remember finding out about 'ABC' in my very late teens from a scifi book where the character used it to describe himself to some Canadians and they looked at him blankly. :lol:

Hmm... No appropriate smiley.... Maybe this one? :-?

That is to say, now *I'm* looking at you blankly. This sounds like something the writer made up. It's nothing I've ever heard of before.
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:29 pm

Hey, I LOVE the long bits of expository text variety. Gives us some info-meat to chew on. I'm assuming these guys do have 'free will' and choose their own moral compass, so we'll see what they're up to. Hey, do they have names?
Yeah Acolyte, thats one of the spots I read after not specifically recognizing the word. I figured out the gist from context.
ABC is an acronym standing for: American Born Chinese. The fact that it references a major television station probably helps it survive as a term. Only minor derogatory implications, but they are there. Sort of like 'banana' and 'egg' (which I learned when I was in my mid twenties from our exchange student). The author did not make it up, after reading it I confirmed it with some other people. No idea how common it is though. The book was China Mountain Zhang (that's probably not spelled right), and was set in the not very distant future. I mostly remember it for the idea of an Organic Architect. Direct mind link to basically a building expert system and it helps you do all the background details and consequences of changes. You need to be a trained architect to be able to really use the system, but you also need to not think like an architect because the system is doing alot of what you'd have to normally think about, and if you try, it messes everything up. So it is very hard to learn. I'm probably not explaining it well, but I thought it was cool, probably because it involved drastically changing your mindset and way of thinking to do what you already know how to do, so you could do it better.
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Regina Felina