Let's discuss the Top 25.

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by Yeahduff »

So does anyone actually read this crap?
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
KWill
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:37 am
Location: Disappointed
Contact:

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by KWill »

Considering that I have no idea what you mean, probably not, no.

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by Yeahduff »

Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

No.
Image

User avatar
KWill
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:37 am
Location: Disappointed
Contact:

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by KWill »

Read some of them or read the list to see if there's any good webcomics? I do read Legostar Galactica and Reckless Youth, if you mean the former.

User avatar
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork
Posts: 2269
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:23 am
Location: Anywhere else but here....
Contact:

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by Prettysenshi »

I read Pandect, RY, and Vampirates, but that's about it.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by McDuffies »

Anyways, Keenspot and indepedent sites grab a lot of content from top 25 I think, so the only mainstays seem to be the ones that for this or that reason won't fit into other business model. Like, I can see Venus Envy not being suitable because of it's topic, even though it's been in top 25 since forever, or Legostar Galactica because of copyright issues...
In any case it seems to be consisting majorly of comics that have been running for a long time and gathering fanbase slowly. There's a few one-hit-wonders with sex or connection to popular franchise to boost their ratings somewhat.
I've read a few. No point keeping up with them, they change all the time anyway.

User avatar
Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: State of Flux

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by Paul Escobar »

Yeahduff wrote:So does anyone actually read this crap?
Crap = the list, or the comics on it?

And what do those Y, D, TM and LM figures mean?

Kramerthebird
Regular Poster
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:46 am

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by Kramerthebird »

I read Head Trip occasionally, but only through the artist's deviantart page. I actually didn't even know it was a comicgenesis strip.
Image

User avatar
Guildmaster Van
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:17 pm
Location: El Quebeco
Contact:

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by Guildmaster Van »

In the order I see them...
  • Two Kinds: Animu furries. Who take off their shirts. And hide their nippleless tits while trying to look cute and virginal in atypical wapanese imitation.
  • Pokemon X: Pokemon sprite comic. 'nuff said.
  • Emergency Exit: SUPPORT FORUMITES GAWD DAMMIT
  • Exterminatus Now: Warhammer 40,000. Sonic the Hedgehog. Can I say anything more ED hasn't?
  • The Lounge: Animu fanservice, which looks the same today as it did three years ago.
  • Vampirates: Anime pirate vampires. Art seems well enough, but the gist of it makes my brains hurt.
  • Venus Envy: The only transgender comic that doesn't arouse the ire of the webcomic community. Never read it, but it must be fairly decent for it to remain as popular as it has over the years.
  • Legostar Galactica: Fuck yeah Legos! Actually, the only GOOD toy comic I've seen other than Alien Loves Predator. Go Dr. Dusan!
  • Yahtzee Takes On The World: The art isn't doing it for me. I guess the story could be pretty good, but the art sort of discourages me from reading on
  • Black Tapestries: Half-furry generic fantasy were comic. If you like those genres, it might actually be a pretty good read.
  • Elle, and All the Others: Sorry, the almost-anime unsexy buttshots and off-model drawings don't save a plot about nothing which I don't understand.
  • Pandect: If I was a teenaged Bishie fangirl I'd probably squeal and cream over this webcomic despite not knowing what the plot is supposed to be. Very nice Manga-style art, although I'm disappointed in the fact that the artist doesn't bother fixing eraser marks and scribbled over text.
  • Cat Legend: Actually looks pretty decent.
  • And Shine Heaven Now: MS Paint looking Hellsing fan-comic with a bad site layout. WHYYYYYYYYYYRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • Lang Lang: A "funny animal" style furry comic that looks pretty decent.
  • Suicide For Hire: Heard of it vicariously through ED. I thought the comic would be pretty funny since the premise (Furries killin furries) was pretty funny, but it stopped being funny after I began reading through the archive.
  • Sharing a Universe: Spelling and grammar errors aside, it's okay for a comic with no real story-driven plot.
  • Lowroad75: Cute art, but the story isn't too compelling or original for my tastes.
  • 21st Century Fox: I don't know where to start on this one...
  • Head Trip: Good art, and it made me laugh on the first page I read. Definitely merits being in the Top 25.
  • Reckless Youth: You had me at "midget doppelganger".
  • Corner Alley 13: The story isn't the most memorable, but the newer art seems fairly decent - just a bit disappointed the artist doesn't put as much effort into the art as some of their other pieces.
  • The Office Bitch: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? ARGH! KEENSPACE!! ARGHH!!!
  • Edge the Devilhunter: How could a comic that is so well polished be beneath a turd like The Office Bitch? Oh right, furries love porn.
  • Kit n Kay Boodle: A furry almost-but-not-really porn comic. Acceptable, since the sex I saw is more like Robert Crumb's use of sex and not some hollow crap to fap to.
The Top 25 list is a horrible misrepresentation of what's on Comic Genesis - it's sad that quite a few bad comics are on it while other gems of webcomicdom don't even make page 2. Actually, maybe it really is an accurate depiction of Comic Genesis... a lot of shit with a few diamonds you have to work to find.

User avatar
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster
Posts: 820
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: The Pantry
Contact:

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by EmergencyExit »

Guildmaster Van wrote:[*]Emergency Exit: SUPPORT FORUMITES GAWD DAMMIT
Um, is this a demand of me or...?

I read Cat Legend, Reckless Youth and Sharing a Universe out of the current top 25. I'm happy to see RY climb up there to the top, and CL is one of my favourite webcomics. SU is good but lack of updates is a bit annoying. I think most of the rest of them are about sex. And Two Kinds isn't even hosted on CG anymore their link just redirects.

User avatar
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2397
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:21 am
Location: Australia

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

There does seem to be a lrage proportion of furries and such on there.

Has anyone ever bothered doing a large-scale study of just what the percentages of different comics are on CG?

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Guildmaster Van wrote:The Top 25 list is a horrible misrepresentation of what's on Comic Genesis - it's sad that quite a few bad comics are on it while other gems of webcomicdom don't even make page 2. Actually, maybe it really is an accurate depiction of Comic Genesis... a lot of shit with a few diamonds you have to work to find.
It's pretty true of most things. You have to sort though a lot of stuff to really find anything worthy of attention. Popularity isn't a strong indication of quality.
Image

User avatar
Guildmaster Van
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:17 pm
Location: El Quebeco
Contact:

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by Guildmaster Van »

EmergencyExit wrote:Um, is this a demand of me or...?
No, it's a compliment of sorts. You put a lot of the community into your comic (And not because you're trying to be a sycophant), and rightly so I think the community should support you in return. Your comic isn't popular just because it's good, but also because you're a nice person :)

User avatar
Warofwinds
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:46 pm
Location: Beneath stormy skies
Contact:

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by Warofwinds »

I read Cat Legend (awesome!), Exterminatus Now, Reckless Youth and Black Tapestries. Exterminatus Now is great for a laugh, Reckless Youth keeps getting better and better, and Black Tapestries has some really great characters. Jakkal's art is also flippin' awesome, if you've seen her paintings.
-Kez
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Kasaii
Regular Poster
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by Kasaii »

Wait, wait wait wait wait.

Yahtzee Takes On The World is in the Top 25?

Really?

I mean, don't get me wrong. Despite the crummy art, I was a big fan of that comic.

When it was running.

In 2000-2002.

I mean, it literally ended six years ago. How is it getting that many hits? Entirely on clickthrough from Yahtzee's other stuff?
"Consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds."
Patchwork Champions. Note to self: You cannot read by laserlight.

User avatar
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster
Posts: 820
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: The Pantry
Contact:

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by EmergencyExit »

Really, really dedicated fans? I dunno when I glanced through the the list and that I was really confused. Though I can get confused a lot by the top list.

Also thank you for the kind words Van.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by McDuffies »

Guildmaster Van wrote: [*]Cat Legend: Actually looks pretty decent.
[*]Sharing a Universe: Spelling and grammar errors aside, it's okay for a comic with no real story-driven plot.
[*]Lowroad75: Cute art, but the story isn't too compelling or original for my tastes.
They're on-and-off forumites too. Cat Legend indeed is good, while Lowroads is not my cup of tea - to be honest it's completely oposite of everything that's my cup of tea. SAU, I had a long-winded review in one of "comic above" threads, haven't read it since then,
[*]Lang Lang: A "funny animal" style furry comic that looks pretty decent.
It's a kid's comic, basically. With storylines like a circus going down financially and a bunch of kids bringing it back to life and such.
Kit n Kay Boodle
Strange comic, all about graphic sex, but it's not the arousing kind - less you're so deep into furry porn waters, you don't actually care that their anatomy is drawn in an assexual, cartoonish style. I thought it was cool until they started moralizing and making every episode be about how people are sexually repressed and how we should all be frank about our sexuality and live happily ever after in a world without wars and injustice. Soapboxy.
Lounge
I wonder if there's still my fan-art in archive.
I'm not a fan, I don't even get half of those pseudo-manga baka jokes, I was just making random fanarts back when I had more enthusiasm for experimenting with styles and characters and stuff. And guy was ok back when he was posting here.

User avatar
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1975
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:23 pm
Location: Canada, eh?
Contact:

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by Terotrous »

I like Twokinds. It's fairly well done.

Possibly overrated, but it's far better than that sprite comic being #1.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Image
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.

User avatar
CaptainClaude
Witty British President
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:50 am
Location: SITTING ON A BOMB IN A GREENHOUSE.
Contact:

Re: Let's discuss the Top 25.

Post by CaptainClaude »

RY usually resides somewhere on page two, it's only on page one cos it's early in the month and a link form PD boosted my average really early.

I read Edge the Devilhunter and I catchup on Emergency Exit time to time.

Post Reply