Best artists in webcomics?
- Alschroeder
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 881
- Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:21 pm
- Location: Nashville
- Contact:
Best artists in webcomics?
Who do you consider the best ARTISTS in webcomics, and why? (This after spending an afternoon browsing the excellent DATACHASERS at http://datachasers.comicgenesis.com/ and having just sent a fan letter/request to them. In this, I DO include positioning software, etc. Excellent visual presentation, no matter how it's done. Other candidates I can think of are APPLEGEEKS at http://www.applegeeks.com/ and several others. Who do you admire, in their artistic style/visual presentation-- who does webcomics? ---Al
http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com--MINDMISTRESS
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroe ... series.php--Flickerflame</a>

---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroe ... series.php--Flickerflame</a>

- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Bah, I dont buy into this whole "best artist / worst artist" thing. I mean yes, there are good artists, and crap ones, but it comes to a point where artists end up being equally good, but one style appeals to you more than another's, but that doesn't really make one better than the other.
(This does not apply to Bill Watterson, because he is god, and I am biased)
(This does not apply to Bill Watterson, because he is god, and I am biased)

- Datachasers
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 230
- Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:54 am
- Location: in hell ( pheonix AZ )
- Contact:
Re: Best artists in webcomics?
WOOT! *dances*alschroeder wrote:Who do you consider the best ARTISTS in webcomics, and why? (This after spending an afternoon browsing the excellent DATACHASERS at http://datachasers.comicgenesis.com/ and having just sent a fan letter/request to them. In this, I DO include positioning software, etc. Excellent visual presentation, no matter how it's done. Other candidates I can think of are APPLEGEEKS at http://www.applegeeks.com/ and several others. Who do you admire, in their artistic style/visual presentation-- who does webcomics? ---Al
Well I like Applegeeks , Geek blather - hmm artists? hard to say as I more know the work rather than the artist, I everyone has a style that may be liked by others , I for one am not a big fan of stick figure strips , but there are good ones out there , and also are we talking about small strips like "plush and blood" ( good one ) or medium class ones ( as in fan base ) like geekblather or high end ones like Cool Kat Studio ( penny and aggy ) or sinfest ,
Also many strips tend to start out poor in some areas and then if they stick with it begin to improve with dramatic steps -
also ones like Dominic Deegan ( great strip , decent art ) or Alpha Shade ( fantastic art ( decent story ) there are lots of things to consider in that question , all of the ones i cited have good camera angels and panel arrangment
- Paul Escobar
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1024
- Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:11 pm
- Location: State of Flux
Best art I've yet seen in a webcomic is in A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible. (It's been on hiatus since forever, but check the archives.) There are several people whose webcomic work I admire, but A Lesson... stands out: It's exceptionally well executed on all visual levels - the imaginative page layouts, the expert composition of each frame, the absolutely magnificent colours.
It also happens to be well written.
It also happens to be well written.
- Geekblather
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 335
- Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:44 pm
- Location: Oregon
- Contact:
Yaay Geekblather!
Purely art-wise?
I really like Thinking Ape Blues, Emma, and Penny and Aggie. The styles are really clean and consistent, but also consistently improving and getting better and better.
Purely art-wise?
I really like Thinking Ape Blues, Emma, and Penny and Aggie. The styles are really clean and consistent, but also consistently improving and getting better and better.
- Joel Fagin
- nothos adrisor (GTC)
- Posts: 6014
- Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
- Location: City of Lights
- Contact:
Off the top of my head, Humbug and Elfkin. There're undoubtably more but I'm at work just now and without my bookmarks.
- Joel Fagin
- Joel Fagin
- Datachasers
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 230
- Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:54 am
- Location: in hell ( pheonix AZ )
- Contact:
i really like the clean razor sharp lines ofgeekblather wrote:Yaay Geekblather!
Purely art-wise?
I really like Thinking Ape Blues, Emma, and Penny and Aggie. The styles are really clean and consistent, but also consistently improving and getting better and better.
GU http://www.gucomics.com/comic/?cdate=20070510
marry me http://www.marrymemovie.com/main/2007/0 ... oyfriends/
unspeakable vault http://www.macguff.fr/goomi/unspeakable/vvlast.html
VG cats http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=124
all of these use color , art and other tricks to put togather a very nice package
- Bustertheclown
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2390
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
- Location: ATOMIC!
- Contact:
Me.
Oh, wait, I don't have a webcomic. Damn.
Oh, wait, I don't have a webcomic. Damn.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
- Warofwinds
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1088
- Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:46 pm
- Location: Beneath stormy skies
- Contact:
Hmm, Barb Jacobs of Talismen and Xylia, Humbug of Tales of Pylea, the artist of Lackadaisy, Madsniper of White Noise and Kraust ofWorld-Break, in no particular order.
- Orinocou
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 178
- Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:26 pm
- Location: Beautiful, flat Illinois
- Contact:
Hmm, well, calling someone the "best" is always a subjective statement, but for me, I think Sarah Ellerton's Inverloch boasts some damn good art (with an okay story). Sarah's work is what inspired me to finally start my own webcomic project, and is one of the reasons I chose to make the thing in color. If you're looking for a good artist, just check out the backgrounds in that comic.
It seems to me that different art styles can be appropriate for or 'carry' different comics well.
The art in <a href="http://toydivision.transplantcomics.com/">Toy Division</a> and <a href="http://electric-manga.com/">Kagerou</a> are very different, but for the comics they're telling, they're both excellent.
My husband, by contrast, likes a much more simplified style to his comic art, like <a href="http://www.mousewax.com/">Mousewax</a> or <a href="http://wallyandosborne.com/">On the Rocks.</a>
Other comics with excellent art include <a href="http://www.graphicsmash.com/comics/digg ... >Digger</a> and <a href="http://www.drunkduck.com/Charby_the_Vampirate/">Charby the Vampirate</a>
The art in <a href="http://toydivision.transplantcomics.com/">Toy Division</a> and <a href="http://electric-manga.com/">Kagerou</a> are very different, but for the comics they're telling, they're both excellent.
My husband, by contrast, likes a much more simplified style to his comic art, like <a href="http://www.mousewax.com/">Mousewax</a> or <a href="http://wallyandosborne.com/">On the Rocks.</a>
Other comics with excellent art include <a href="http://www.graphicsmash.com/comics/digg ... >Digger</a> and <a href="http://www.drunkduck.com/Charby_the_Vampirate/">Charby the Vampirate</a>
- Corgan_dane
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1899
- Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:12 pm
- Contact:
I think Daniel B. Willingham is excellent. His work is always detailed and cluttered, but not in a bad way.
- Stinkywigfiddle
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3479
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Under your skin
- Contact:
Thankscorgan_dane wrote:I think Daniel B. Willingham is excellent. His work is always detailed and cluttered, but not in a bad way.
I don't know who I would consider the best, but I really like Evan Dahm's Rice Boy. It at first looks like a very simple style, but there's lovely detail in the fantasy world the characters live in. The character themselves are very creative, too.
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
I'm a big Bob Oosterwijk fan. He displays great draftsmanship, even in his goofy little jam comics. Too bad he stopped updating.
- JTigerclaw
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1844
- Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:33 am
- Location: Continuing the hearty tradition of pwnage.
- Contact:
- Dr Neo Lao
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2397
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:21 am
- Location: Australia
Matt and Gabe White who do Gun Baby do some truly gorgeous work.
But it takes them so damn long that there is only sixteen pages up, for a comic that was started almost a year ago. That's about one page every two and a half weeks...
But it takes them so damn long that there is only sixteen pages up, for a comic that was started almost a year ago. That's about one page every two and a half weeks...
- Jae87
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 62
- Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:23 pm
- Location: Probably Lurking on some poor innocent website...
- Contact:
The Prime of Ambition is amazing when they get an entire page colored and shaded. It's definatly one of, if not the best I've seen.

The Seraph Inn is done really well too.

The Seraph Inn is done really well too.
- Rkolter
- Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

- Posts: 16399
- Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
- Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
- Contact:
I'd have to say Fallen Angel's Used Books (FAUB) is one of the best. Yeah, there are cleaner works done, but I've seen him do his stuff - and his finished and inked products are as good in reality as his comics are good on the display. He's really amazing.
Nicholas Gurewitch
Kimmo Lemetti
Les McClaine
Matt Munn
Tracy J. Butler
Tom Siddell (This guy is good at everything. Even his lettering looks great).
Faith Erin Hicks
Ursula Vernon
Ryan Armand
Janine Harper
Klio (Thought I feel she needs to work on distinguishing her characters from each other more, but other than that, her work is fantastic).
Mimo
Spike
Ramon Perez
Zack Giallongo
That's all I'm listing for now, because I'm fucking tired of copying and pasting multitudes of links.
Kimmo Lemetti
Les McClaine
Matt Munn
Tracy J. Butler
Tom Siddell (This guy is good at everything. Even his lettering looks great).
Faith Erin Hicks
Ursula Vernon
Ryan Armand
Janine Harper
Klio (Thought I feel she needs to work on distinguishing her characters from each other more, but other than that, her work is fantastic).
Mimo
Spike
Ramon Perez
Zack Giallongo
That's all I'm listing for now, because I'm fucking tired of copying and pasting multitudes of links.
- Dr Legostar
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 15660
- Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
- Location: right outside your window.
- Contact:
there really are a lot of artists around here who do some fantastic work. Christwriter, Humbug, dragonmajik, Keffria, Mr. Bob, War, Stinkywigfiddle. I also happen to very much like the art of 834n, Pimpette, and BlackSparrow.
I could link all of these people's work, but I'm lazy.
and I KNOW there's people i'm forgetting, but i won't get into that.
I could link all of these people's work, but I'm lazy.
and I KNOW there's people i'm forgetting, but i won't get into that.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff




















