To Cameo or not to Cameo...

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2011
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
Contact:

To Cameo or not to Cameo...

Post by RemusShepherd »

I'm trying to decide if I want to do a page full of cameos or not, at the end of my current chapter.

For those of you who don't care, my comic is currently depicting the spirit world, the realm where fictional creatures live. (Those of you who do care are reading it, and know that I've gone gonzo on the art and, unfortunately, on the exposition also.) In the storyline of my comic, the spirit world *should* be populated with all kinds of well-known and copyrighted characters, all fighting among each other for dominance. That was my original concept, but I decided not to commit mass copyright violations. (I'm not worried about being sued as much as I'm paranoid that the ComicGenesis folks will use any excuse to be rid of me. And 'paranoid' is the right word there, as I have no real reason to be worried about that. :) )

However, in the process of planning for this chapter, I got permission to use one copyrighted character -- God, the dyslexic doG, the title character of an amazing book drawn by one of my artistic idols Alex Nino. It was very, very cool of Brian Phillipson, one of the authors of God, to give me this permission, and I'd hate to waste it. And let's face it, a lot of the look of this current chapter comes from Nino's drawings.

But I'm at the end of the chapter and I haven't had characters running through it yet. So if I'm going to have cameos, they're all going to be crowded on one page. And I've been remiss (and just a little scared) in asking all of you people if I can cameo your creations, especially in that fashion. Especially now when my stock with y'all is at low ebb, and offering to cameo you might appear to be me fawning to appease people that I've offended.

(Of course, if fawning would work, I'd totally do that. Don't get me wrong. :) )

Anyhow, I'm not sure whether to give up on a cameo page or not.

If I went through with it, I'd need your permission to use your characters -- the less human and the more colorful the better. My initial thoughts were to use Six from Fainting Spells, Woot from EOI, Visage from Parallel Dementia...maybe the Doppies, or their pet. Maybe fighting each other, maybe just watching the main battle. I don't know.

Enough rambling. Anyone want to give me permission to cameo their characters? Anyone want to talk me in or out of doing it? :)
Image

User avatar
Linkara
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2211
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:29 pm
Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman
Contact:

Post by Linkara »

Well, despite my lack of non-human characters so far in my comic, Remus, I give you permission to cameo any that you should feel the need to. ^^
Image

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~

User avatar
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)
Posts: 5085
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:55 am
Location: On the shoulder of a giant
Contact:

Re: To Cameo or not to Cameo...

Post by Mo »

RemusShepherd wrote:maybe the Doppies, or their pet
I give you my 50.1%* permission to use the Doppies (or the Thing) if you wanna, now you just need Robin's... sure she'd be cool with it though. :D

*What? I have a bigger ego...

User avatar
Tim
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3285
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:42 pm
Location: State of WA, formerly MA
Contact:

Post by Tim »

Since you were kind enough to lend one of your characters to cameo in my comic, I'd be more than happy to let you borrow one of mine.
though even then that's pushing the copyright envelope
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

You can use my characters, but I want my own trailer and a wine glass filled with red Skittles. And your deity or deities protect you if I find a single non-red Skittle!

*shakes fist*
Last edited by Jim North on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
JessicaRaven
CTRL+C CTRL+V Master
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:43 pm
Contact:

Post by JessicaRaven »

could throw some of my non human charas in if you want, best bet would probably be Vyolette


View Here
" 'this is something I will not allow to go unpunished'? what is that, anime cliche quote #273?" -Soricha Rain

http://triquetracats.comicgenesis.com

User avatar
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Pacific NW
Contact:

Post by [geoduck] »

You can use any of my non-human species if you'd like. I posted a fairly comprehensive list of them starting here.
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
Image

User avatar
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: I are serious member. This are serious post.

Post by Legendary »

You can use any of my characters you think would be appropriate.
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!

User avatar
Dotty
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2434
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:29 pm
Location: Drunk!
Contact:

Post by Dotty »

My comic Elvenbaath(.com) came back, and the Character ClockworkZen is the king of the spirit world, and ex-lord of time. He might be fun to use. He also kinda looks like Visage. Mine came first though. Someday we should make them fight. <3

My thoughts on cameos? More the merrier. They CAN be overdone, yes, but it really helps to make your world a lot more fun when you can recognize a person or two in it...and someone who doesn't know our community wouldn't really be able to tell the difference. It'd be swell.
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Knock yourself, out, yo.
Image

User avatar
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4667
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: bat country
Contact:

Post by LibertyCabbage »

If any of my characters are weird enough for ya, then knock yerself out.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

People are always free to cameo my characters. I wouldn't be terribly upset if someone did it without permission.

User avatar
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Fraggle Rock
Contact:

Post by Garneta »

Well, you're free to use any of my characters...but all the ones in my strip at this point are human, so they probably wouldn't fit...
Image
Image Image Image

User avatar
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster
Posts: 820
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: The Pantry
Contact:

Post by EmergencyExit »

Your free to use any of mine from EE or UF, there's some ghosts and zombies in UF and EE has a few demons and a robot.

User avatar
The Mortician
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1705
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:59 pm
Contact:

No one ever Cameo'd someone from a comic of mine, yet.

Post by The Mortician »

I'm around if you need cameo filler. I don't mind it and I believe in eye for an eye. I think chapter 3's gonna have a few cameos I owe...
Last edited by The Mortician on Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Shishio
Regular Poster
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:31 pm
Location: Toronto-ish
Contact:

Post by Shishio »

You can cameo myself if you want, but not any other characters from One-liners.
Image
One-liners: Come for the laughs, stay for the abuse.

User avatar
EvilChihuahua
Regular Poster
Posts: 720
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:59 pm
Location: Canadaland
Contact:

Post by EvilChihuahua »

Feel free. In fact Chang's a chibi shoulder-bieng, so he would look right at home in a spirit world.
note: any l337 used in the previous post was used ony to avoid the poster's Cybersitter. Image

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

I'm likely in the minority here, but I'm against cameos on the basis that most people can't execute them decently. They often are so full of winks and nudges that it becomes a desperate cry for attention and acceptance than being an allusion or an homage. It gets really bad when they make the gag hinge entirely upon knowledge of the person or their work.

If you can pull it off, all power to you.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
Posts: 3748
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: not-France

Post by Keffria »

I think that's more what you get with crossovers. Crowd-scene-style cameos are fun and mostly harmless; it's when you take someone else's character and just dump them into a storyline that it often messes things up and seems more like a cheap gimmick.

Ah, anyway, everyone likes the hippo in court uniform for some reason. You can have him if you want. ;>_>

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

Well, crowd-scenes can be innocent, but it really can jeopardize the comic universe if you're not careful. If you have a comic that takes place in a realistic world, including cartoon animals is a bad idea and changes the rules of that universe.
jag saknar självförtroende

Post Reply