Page 1 of 8

How long does it take you to draw a comic?

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:45 pm
by Jin-roh
For me, its anywhere between a half hour to two hours. I don't spend much time on background though.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:48 pm
by Plague
I'd say about a half hour. But then again, my art isn't exactly "complex" or hard to do. :shifty:

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:09 pm
by Black Sparrow
I don't do a total page in one sitting, but here are the stages:

Sketching= 1-2 hours
Penning= 1 hour
Scanning and touchups in Photoshop= 30 minutes
Coloring=2-6 hours (depends on complexity of backgrounds and number of characters)
Text bubbles and final touches= 30 minutes

So, my comic takes 5-10 hours per page.

You're all a bunch of wusses. Image

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:48 pm
by Rkolter
Research on the question: 10 hours overall, generally.

Number of pages in the average question: 12.

Time to draw each page, average: 45 minutes.

Total time per average question: 19 hours.

Total time per average page: 1 hour, 35 minutes.

Procrastination FTL.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:51 pm
by Cope
I take way longer than I should.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:06 pm
by Cortland
It takes me around four or five hours to do a comic from start to finish for me.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:08 pm
by JTigerclaw
12-24 hours per comic.

I am not even kidding. :cry:


And then there was that one comic that took a whole month... I really need to stop trying to make everything so perfect.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:34 pm
by Keffria
Anywhere from 8 to 12 hours, here, usually depending on whether backgrounds are involved. I could probably crank out a page every 4~ish days, if I didn't find it hard to get into the right frame of mind to draw. Most of the time, I'm simply incapable of producing anything that looks "right".

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:41 pm
by Mvmarcz
junkRIOT never took long...maybe 2 hours tops per page depending

this new one though is going to kick my art butt

you people better read this one :evil:

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:46 pm
by Prettysenshi
If I'm rushing, 3 hours. If I'm taking my time, 7-10 hours.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:04 pm
by Sorcery101
Pencils (first roughly with nonphoto blue then the more detailed pencils)=1 hour
ink = 1 hour
color and text =3 to 5 hours

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:30 pm
by Dracomax
pencils- 10-45 minutes, although there have been times when one part takes a couple days.
Ink- used to be about 20 minutes, now that I've started using fountain pens, 1 hour or so.
scanning and coloring- 2-5 hours, try to keep it closer to 2.
Text and speech bubbles-10-20 minutes.
total time- 3:10-7:05, not counting time in between(I don't do anything other than computer stuff at the same time.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:30 pm
by Ataraxia
Usually it takes me about two hours per page. That's all the time I can afford to spend and still update three times a week.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:54 pm
by Bustertheclown
Years.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:00 pm
by EvilChihuahua
Around five hours I think... I can never seem to do more than a half an hour at a time without taking a break, though.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:00 pm
by McDuffies
I never finish a page in one sitting, I'm thinking 1/2 to 1 hour for pencils, and at much for inking. I try to keep the time longer for quality reasons, but when I start rushing off, I can make a page much faster. It depends on a page, of course. Pages at nighttime by rule take longer.

I do finish one Grumpy in about two minutes, and with no copy-pasting.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:08 pm
by Keffria
mcDuffies wrote:I never finish a page in one sitting...
Oh, neither do I. Usually, I don't even finish a single step of comic-production (sketching/inking/shading) in one sitting. And if I do, I often have to go back later on and fix the errors I made because I was rushing. (This especially applies if I try to sit down and shade an entire comic page in one go.)

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:27 pm
by Jim North
Three to four hours usually. Sometimes months.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:09 pm
by Vorticus
Mine vary. Anywhere from half and hour to an hour for scripting. Then 15 to 30 minutes per panel for pencils, half again of that for the inking, and finally an hour per panel for the coloring.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:20 pm
by Dutch!
One to two hours, depending on how much background detail or characters appear in the particular strip. Three characters in a strip adds extra time with the fiddlier colouring. The spirits add a little more time as well if they are present, as I have to colour them separately and make them transparent and include the glow around them.

Lately I've generally just had the idea of the plot in my head and the strips have writtent themselves, so there hasn't been a lot of scripting time used.