Pixar: 20 Years of Animation

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Post Reply
Jen_Babcock
Regular Poster
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Los Angeles/ New York City

Pixar: 20 Years of Animation

Post by Jen_Babcock »

The Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in New York is currently having an exhibition on Pixar. Has anyone else seen it?

I saw it today and it was amazing. It was so inspiring and it made me want to drop out of grad school and jump back into my dream of becoming an animator.

They had all kinds of maquettes and development art for their old shorts and for their feature lenght films (including Cars, btw). I especially enjoyed seeing concept art for The Incredibles.

This is the first time that Pixar's artwork have left the studios- if you're going to be visiting New York before Feb 6th, or if you live near the city, you should definitely make the trip.

http://www.moma.org
Image

User avatar
Princess
Regular Poster
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:04 pm
Location: Eastern Vulgaria
Contact:

Post by Princess »

I love it when you see an exhibition of that caliber! One that inspires you.
Image

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

PIXXORZ ROXXORZ MY BOXXORZ SOXXORZ

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

I'd really like to see that...Pixar is definitely the tops in the animation biz right now. Sadly it won't ever come within' 1000 miles of my cruddy little town.

Oh, you dropped outta' gradschool? I dunno'...animation can be a tough field to get into...watch out.
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

I really want to go to that exhibit when I get back to school, especially since I want to be an animator...
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

The concept art for The Incredible is amazing.
Image

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:The concept art for The Incredible is amazing.
Brad Bird's the man...I genuinely believe that movie got stiffed not getting at least nominated for best picture at the 2004 Oscars. It was better than 99.5% of the live-action stuff released that year.
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend
Posts: 6163
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Walking on sunshine
Contact:

Post by Vorticus »

You know, this is why I dislike the geography of the US. Not much ever makes it off the coasts.

Jen_Babcock
Regular Poster
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Los Angeles/ New York City

Post by Jen_Babcock »

Jackhass wrote:I'd really like to see that...Pixar is definitely the tops in the animation biz right now. Sadly it won't ever come within' 1000 miles of my cruddy little town.

Oh, you dropped outta' gradschool? I dunno'...animation can be a tough field to get into...watch out.
No I didn't drop out- I'm only a year away from getting my MA and I have a good shot at getting into the PhD program here. It's just that it's very tempting to just drop out and pursue that old dream I had.
Image

User avatar
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork
Posts: 2269
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:23 am
Location: Anywhere else but here....
Contact:

Post by Prettysenshi »

I hope Disney doesn't buy Pixar, which is actually close to happening. If they do, I think the quality of Pixar movies will go down.

Jen_Babcock
Regular Poster
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Los Angeles/ New York City

Post by Jen_Babcock »

prettysenshi2k6 wrote:I hope Disney doesn't buy Pixar, which is actually close to happening. If they do, I think the quality of Pixar movies will go down.
So wait- Disney is trying to get Pixar back or they're actually going to try to buy out the company?
Image

User avatar
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend
Posts: 6163
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Walking on sunshine
Contact:

Post by Vorticus »

Jen_Babcock wrote:
prettysenshi2k6 wrote:I hope Disney doesn't buy Pixar, which is actually close to happening. If they do, I think the quality of Pixar movies will go down.
So wait- Disney is trying to get Pixar back or they're actually going to try to buy out the company?
I'm guessing whichever one they can make work. Disney has been taking it in the shorts as far as movies have been going.

User avatar
Steverules
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1710
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:26 pm
Contact:

Post by Steverules »

The distinction between Pixar and the other companies trying to compete is Pixar understands the story is number one priority. They go through great lenghts to get a top knotch story. The follow that up with great animation. I can't believe they've been around 20 years, though.
Image

User avatar
Christwriter
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1915
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:56 am

Post by Christwriter »

Vorticus wrote:
Jen_Babcock wrote:
prettysenshi2k6 wrote:I hope Disney doesn't buy Pixar, which is actually close to happening. If they do, I think the quality of Pixar movies will go down.
So wait- Disney is trying to get Pixar back or they're actually going to try to buy out the company?
I'm guessing whichever one they can make work. Disney has been taking it in the shorts as far as movies have been going.
Maybe if Disney would ACTUALLY MAKE A GOOD MOVIE instead of blenderizing all of thier old movies, they might be doing better. The other day I saw a bilboard advertising Bambi 2.

Bambi. Two.

Then there's the approximately nine billion Lion King sequils, The Cinderella sequil, the Mulan sequil, the Aladden sequils, and the mind-numbing stupidity of what they're making on TV.

Once in a while they come out with something good--the last one I can remember was Lilo and Stitch--but vacuum factor of most of the stuff they produce is nearly audible.

Meanwhile the unique stories are coming out of Pixar.

Finding Nemo or Bambi 2. Lemme think about that.

*wanders off to go watch fish*

CW
"Remember that the definition of an adventure is someone else having a hell of a hard time a thousand miles away."
--Abbykat, NaNoWriMo participant '04

Coloring tutorial It's a little like coloring boot camp. Without the boots.

<a href="http://blueskunk.spiderforest.com"> Image</a>
<a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org"> NaNoWriMo </a> --for anyone who has ever aspired to write a novel. Insanity is also a requirement.

User avatar
ManyWorlds
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1980
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:32 am

Post by ManyWorlds »

Vorticus wrote:You know, this is why I dislike the geography of the US. Not much ever makes it off the coasts.
Yar.
I can attest to this.


And the stuff that does make it off the coasts never seems to make it to where I am...

Jen_Babcock
Regular Poster
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Los Angeles/ New York City

Post by Jen_Babcock »

christwriter wrote:
Vorticus wrote:
Jen_Babcock wrote: So wait- Disney is trying to get Pixar back or they're actually going to try to buy out the company?
I'm guessing whichever one they can make work. Disney has been taking it in the shorts as far as movies have been going.
Maybe if Disney would ACTUALLY MAKE A GOOD MOVIE instead of blenderizing all of thier old movies, they might be doing better. The other day I saw a bilboard advertising Bambi 2.

Bambi. Two.

Then there's the approximately nine billion Lion King sequils, The Cinderella sequil, the Mulan sequil, the Aladden sequils, and the mind-numbing stupidity of what they're making on TV.

Once in a while they come out with something good--the last one I can remember was Lilo and Stitch--but vacuum factor of most of the stuff they produce is nearly audible.

Meanwhile the unique stories are coming out of Pixar.

Finding Nemo or Bambi 2. Lemme think about that.

*wanders off to go watch fish*

CW
Yeah, Lilo and Stitch was probably the last good movie that Disney's Burbank studio made. I'm very upset with Eisner and the company in general. Somewhere down the line they forgot how to make a good story (even if it was an adaption) and more importantly, they forgot that it's the story that should come first.
Image

User avatar
ManyWorlds
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1980
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:32 am

Post by ManyWorlds »

Bambi.... 2...


.....
The words make sense on their own, but when I try putting them together.....



You know the worst part? It'll probably do well, if only because of kids too little to know a bad movie when they see one.

There is no freaking justice, I swear...

User avatar
Steverules
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1710
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:26 pm
Contact:

Post by Steverules »

It's all that direct to video crap that they half assed throw together. Figuring most people will buy blindly for their children and won't realize how bad it sucked until it's too late to return. It's a shame, too, because I'm sure the animators who work for Disney would really like the opportunity to put together something great.
Image

User avatar
Princess
Regular Poster
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:04 pm
Location: Eastern Vulgaria
Contact:

Post by Princess »

They need to make Black Cauldron II
Image

Jen_Babcock
Regular Poster
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Los Angeles/ New York City

Post by Jen_Babcock »

Back in the day I used to really want to work for Disney as a character animator (it probably shows in my artwork now), but ever since they went bat shit crazy I stopped pursuing it. It was just really discouraging because I really really loved Disney at one point in my life.
Image

Post Reply