Page 1 of 4

Newspaper and web comics... COMBINED!

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:38 pm
by Jigglyman
I still can't believe what I'm typing.

On The Playground's going to be in a newspaper.

And its not just any wimpy ol' "I serve an entire street!" newspaper either. The Lowell Sun has a subscription-ship of 50,000 (way more than, like, my 50). The head editor wants my comic in the paper. It's a long story. But I should be in the Sunday paper (like hell I'm doing dailies) by the end of the month. Stupid two-week backlog...

It's pretty exciting. Of course, I bet some factors in this are that I'm local, and I'm twelve... but hey, who cares? So I'll keep y'all posted.

(I'm getting paid, too!)

But enough about me.

I've noticed webcomics and newspaper comics are starting to merge. *points to Kansas City Star* Do you think this is a good thing? Bad thing? Do you think webcomics and newspaper comics should stay in their respective mediums, or would you like to see more published webcomics?

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:56 pm
by Christwriter
Now that is awesomely cool, Jigglyman. BIG congrats.

C

Re: Newspaper and web comics... COMBINED!

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:01 pm
by Chibiartstudios
Jigglyman wrote:
It's pretty exciting. Of course, I bet some factors in this are that I'm local, and I'm twelve... but hey, who cares? So I'll keep y'all posted.

(I'm getting paid, too!)
Wait! Your 12!? Like, as in years old? When I was 12 I was never smart enough to make something like that!

*feels dumb*

In any case congradulations! You just hit upon the wet dream of many a web artist. Feel proud!

As for the issue of how I feel about webcomics in print I am all for it. In fact I think that it's going to be what really makes webcomics proffitable and brings new life into the dying newspaper comic industry.

So, I am dying to know details! What are the terms of agreement? How will this work? Where is the paper located? Will they use old strips or new ones? Do you have creative controll?

So many questions to ask!

:D

And once again, Congradulations.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:03 pm
by Vorticus
Many congratulations to you. As to webcomics beng published, I don't see how it can hurt us. It will really help us if you put your url on your comic by your name. I think some of those who have focused on being published in the papers and don't see webcomics as any sort of serious endeavor will continue to be pissed, but I don't know if they will make a difference or not.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:06 pm
by Spriteville, USA
TWELVE?! WHAAAT! Dude that's awesome. You definitly need to tell us more about this. Answer CAS's questions or be doomed!

Also I live near central mass I'll try to pick up a copy just for the coolness factor of it being in print.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:06 pm
by Axonite
Congratulations! :)

There's nothing wrong with a webcomic being printed in a newspaper, especially if it's one that works as a newspaper comic - that is, it doesn't rely too much on web-only features like little interactive and/or animated bits or an odd shape/size. Many webcomics are basically newspaper-type comics that don't happen to be in newspapers. And it isn't as if newspaper comics (and newspapers) are staying offline! (Though I suppose there are exceptions, like "Opus")

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:07 pm
by The Neko
Well, I guess I can't make jokes about syndicated comics and 12 year olds anymore. Damn. I miss those days.... yesterday.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:17 pm
by Ian Moulding
Twelve? TWELVE?!

I feel old. So very old.

Seriously though, congratulations. It's good when you're work pays off like that.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:07 pm
by BOMC
...12.....12.... :o

I don't think i even knew what the internet or comics were when i was 12.


Seriously though, congrats :D

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:45 pm
by Paul.Power
*reads strip*

Twelve, eh? That's really impressive. I certainly couldn't draw anywhere near as well as that at twelve (can't draw as well as that now), and, though I was a good writer, I didn't have a cynical bone in my body, so I couldn't have written like that either.

(So this is what it feels like to no longer be part of the youngest generation :))

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:59 pm
by Mercury Hat
The time is now, ladies and gentlemen. The new generation has arrived. We must either adapt or perish.

Oh and congrats, Jigglyman

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:04 pm
by Ian Moulding
Mercury Hat wrote:The time is now, ladies and gentlemen. The new generation has arrived. We must either adapt or perish.

Oh and congrats, Jigglyman
Or get them before they get us.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:13 pm
by Leko
Whoa, that's awesome! Way cooler than my school paper... *feels outclassed* I really like your comic, too. How exciting!

But yeah, totally put your url in your comics. And then put a link to Thespiphobia on your front page. :)

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:19 pm
by Toxic
christwriter wrote:Now that is awesomely cool, Jigglyman. BIG congrats.

C
:o She forgot the W!!!

Oh, and I give my sincere and heartfelt congratulations for whatever this thread is about.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:02 pm
by Cpc
awsome man, congrats, i wish i can get my comic that good (just starting webcomic).

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:46 pm
by Cortland
Yay, Jigglyman! :D Remember me when King Features come knockin' on your door, all right?

As for the merging of digital and print media, I don't actually think it's happening as quickly as some might. Print's been around for hundreds of years. It gave birth to the comic strip and it's still the only way to go if you want a daily strip to make serious money. Think of it this way: the Lowell Sun, a modest-sized newspaper, has 50,000 daily readers. How many web comics out there grab 50k uniques per day? And these aren't just visitors wandering by and having a peek for free--these are people who pay for content.

This may change in the future, of course, but the print media still seem to rule the roost when it comes to comics. Admit it, would you rather be "spotted," or get a big fat syndication deal from King features?

So congrats, dude!

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:49 pm
by Vorticus
cortland wrote:Admit it, would you rather be "spotted," or get a big fat syndication deal from King features?
Honestly? The answer would depend on who gets creative control.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:59 pm
by Van Douchebag
Mercury Hat wrote:The time is now, ladies and gentlemen. The new generation has arrived. We must either adapt or perish.
I vote 'anthrax'.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:02 pm
by Forevergrey
Now there is hope that I can be published! 8)

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:17 pm
by LibertyCabbage
I think webcomics will replace newspaper comics, because webcomcs >>> newspaper comics so much that everyone will get their comics online so the papers will buy strips from the webcomic ppl.

to be honest (i'm an honest person) i think OTP is mediocre, although it's very good for a 12-year-old. By the time you're an adult you should've learned a lot more about comics and will have a kickass strip.

-LC