Plea for Fanart/Guest Strips

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Post Reply
User avatar
Hobolenno
Regular Poster
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:27 pm
Location: Place
Contact:

Plea for Fanart/Guest Strips

Post by Hobolenno »

I feel kind of bad asking for it, since I'm not really known and popular and all that, and I'm not sure what I'd get, but it would be greatly appreciated if maybe even just a few people made some fanart or a guest strip for us. We're trying to play catchup right now, and we're a month behind. Any little bit would help so much.

Thank you for putting up with all that.
http://mehcomics.keenspace.com

Click it. Unless you don't want to. But remember, we're the only site out there with a monkey as a cartoonist.

User avatar
ShineDog
Regular Poster
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:56 am
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact:

Post by ShineDog »

id be more inclined to do some guest art for a comic... and i really dont mean to be cruel here, but for a comic that.... erm...... damnit

**sigh**

ITS ANOTHER REAL LIFE COPY.

at least in terms of art.

basically, i cant actually get past the damn looky likey artwork to see if you have jokes worth telling, since the instant i look at a page, i have an insane urge to shout NEARRRGGHGHHHH. NO! and close the window.

go read HNTRAC. seriously.
Jaw droppingly large strawberry desserts.

User avatar
Cat42
Emo
Posts: 2010
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:21 am
Location: "Working" on Transitions. (and Confabulation)
Contact:

Post by Cat42 »

Behold the webcomic equivilent of a Hanzo sword...

Image
Someday, someday I'll finish Confabulation. That day is not today, however.
Read my textual nonsense! » My weekly updated animation thread! « Watch my visual nonsense!

User avatar
Chibiartstudios
Regular Poster
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:33 pm
Location: Right behind you!
Contact:

Post by Chibiartstudios »

Replyer #1: Chill, take a ritalin. *Offers one of his own. Theyre like tic tacs to me anyways*

Replyer #2: Stop that! Don't make me smite you!

That asside a good point has been made. Your comic does come dangerously close to RL. The Pepsi can specifically comes to mind. And this is a shame because you clearly have some tallent. I'd realy like to see you use your skills on a more original work.

Also, use a little more variation in character design. It looks like you took a blank character body and changed hair, eyes, etc. Real people have different heights and body types.

Sorry, I hate to sound mean. But I'd rather have you know this now than figgure it out 500 comics from now. Your art looks decent. Better than most who have requested critiques here. But if your art looks like someone elses' that will overshadow everything no matter how good the art or writing may be.
Help me live my childhood dream of becoming the head of an evil corrupt corporate conglomorate:
Image

User avatar
Paul.Power
Regular Poster
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:24 pm
Location: Churchill College, Cambridge
Contact:

Post by Paul.Power »

Maybe I'm oversensitive to this sort of thing, but frequent spelling and punctuation errors really, really turn me off a comic, because for me when I see one (confusion of "your" and "you're" really incenses me, and you seem to do it all the time) it's like someone's pulled the emergency cord on my train of thought.

The flow of dialogue is very important to me when I read a comic, and when I come up against something like that, the characters all suddenly feel very wooden and unreal. It's compounded by a lack of body language from your characters. They don't move their arms or legs, they don't slump in despair or straighten in shock. For me, communication and expression are the key in turning a difficult-to-read comic into an easy-to-read one, and I personally feel that that's the key thing to comic creation.
Boot Camp - There don't appear to be many Worms webcomics out there...

Image

User avatar
RPin
Gentleman Pornographer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
Contact:

Post by RPin »

Didn't we go through this already?

User avatar
Cat42
Emo
Posts: 2010
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:21 am
Location: "Working" on Transitions. (and Confabulation)
Contact:

Post by Cat42 »

I'm sad. He's desperate for guest comics, and he doesn't put mine up?

I did extensive research into the psychological backgrounds of the caraches of your comic, read your archive 5 times, and then painstakingly drew that comic for you. It took 35 hours man! of constant drawing, until I came up with something I could be proud of, and here, you snub me man.

You cut me deep, very very deep.
Someday, someday I'll finish Confabulation. That day is not today, however.
Read my textual nonsense! » My weekly updated animation thread! « Watch my visual nonsense!

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Now common, kids, MEH isn't the best comic but he didn't really ask for critique... First few comments ok, but there's no point in bashing him to the ground. After all, it's one very polite call for fanart, nothing that the grate attitude would be called for.

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

Yeah - stop bashing him!
I'm the Officially Sanctioned Asshole around here!


Now, if you'll excuse me...
RABLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHATKINSDIET
Image

User avatar
Carlin
...or Crossfire
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:13 pm
Location: Paragon City

Post by Carlin »

Van Douchebag wrote:Yeah - stop bashing him!
I'm the Officially Sanctioned Asshole around here!


Now, if you'll excuse me...
RABLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHATKINSDIET
AHHHHH!! My ears! They burn!!!! *flees*



*returns later*

Yeah, I'm gonna have to side with McDuffies and Van. A comment here or there is fine. I encourage it actually. But bashing him when he calls for help might be a little harsh. Instead, why not make a parady guest comic that not so subtly hints that it's an RL ripoff. Bash him in a funny way! :P

I'd do this myslef, but I'm a little busy myself..
>.>
<.<

*walks away*
I am The Poster Formerly Known as Crossfire. Or PFKAC. ...has a certain ring to it, no?

User avatar
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Pacific NW
Contact:

Post by [geoduck] »

Paul.Power wrote:Maybe I'm oversensitive to this sort of thing, but frequent spelling and punctuation errors really, really turn me off a comic, because for me when I see one (confusion of "your" and "you're" really incenses me, and you seem to do it all the time) it's like someone's pulled the emergency cord on my train of thought.
That one annoys me as well, and I'm afraid that it seems to become more and more prevalent every year. I suppose in another fifty the spelling will change officially..
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
Image

User avatar
Chibiartstudios
Regular Poster
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:33 pm
Location: Right behind you!
Contact:

Post by Chibiartstudios »

Fair enough. Comments retracted with full apologies.

^_^
Help me live my childhood dream of becoming the head of an evil corrupt corporate conglomorate:
Image

Post Reply