Reading a comic on the internet.

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
JeremyW
Regular Poster
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:45 pm
Location: magic town

Reading a comic on the internet.

Post by JeremyW »

Do you mind having to scroll down while reading a comic?

User avatar
Chrismills
Regular Poster
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 1:27 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Contact:

Post by Chrismills »

I'd usually prefer not to scroll to find the comic (especially if I'm reading through archives), but so long as the comic fits on the screen I don't mind. Comics that are so large I have to scroll while I read bug me a little (though I've been guilty of this a few times).
Image

User avatar
Chibiartstudios
Regular Poster
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:33 pm
Location: Right behind you!
Contact:

Post by Chibiartstudios »

Depends. If it's a full pager or taller then I don't mind at all.

Sideways, never! You should never have to scroll sideways.
Last edited by Chibiartstudios on Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Help me live my childhood dream of becoming the head of an evil corrupt corporate conglomorate:
Image

User avatar
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Pacific NW
Contact:

Re: Reading a comic on the internet.

Post by [geoduck] »

JeremyW wrote:Do you mind having to scroll down while reading a comic?
It's better than having to scroll sideways, or worse, both.
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
Image

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Scrolling down to read isn't a problem, especially when some people still have small monitors. Scrolling down is pretty natural feeling too, as far as the internet goes.

I don't like it when comics are improperly sized so that you have to go back and forth between scrolling to the side and then down. You should never have to read a newspaper style comic this way.

I don't mind scrolling sideways when they're "infinite canvas" comics like alex and ilia. Those tend to have you scroll in only one direction at a time. As long as you are reading the story, it's obvious where to scroll next.
Image

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

only time I have a problem is when a full panel is larger than the total of my screen.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
Godoftarot
Regular Poster
Posts: 911
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...
Contact:

Post by Godoftarot »

I don't mind having to scroll sideways for comics like, say, Dominic Deegan, because you only have to scroll a tiny bit. I purposely make sure the width of my comic pages fit in the screen so you don't have to do it.
And I don't mind scrolling down at all. Mouse clicky scrolly wheel thingy ^^
...well, unless I'm scrolling down for a long time.
http://godoftarot.keenspace.com
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

Vertical scrolling is fine, thanks to the convenience of mouse wheels, but it helps to have comic navigation buttons both at the top of the comic and at the bottom so you don't have to scroll down if you want to skip past the comic or, alternatively, scroll up once you've finished reading it. However, panels should fit on the screen and for preference should fit on the screen in 800x600 mode. That means a panel can be a maximum of about 430 pixels tall (taking into account browser toolbars, menus and so on).

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
Warofwinds
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:46 pm
Location: Beneath stormy skies
Contact:

Post by Warofwinds »

The majority (80%+) of hits on my page use a 1024x768 screen (or larger), so if a comic is bigger than that, it had better be worth that teensy bit of effort to scroll. As some have said before, scrolling down is not a problem, but I find scrolling sideways to be very annoying. But, just me.

On another note, I believe the 800x600 screen is now almost obsolete. So, it's ok to make pages for larger monitors.

-Kez
-Kez
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Caduceus
Regular Poster
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:16 pm

Post by Caduceus »

As long as no panel is larger than the viewable area of the browser I don't mind any scrolling at all.
Caduceus
Marianne

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

warofwinds wrote:On another note, I believe the 800x600 screen is now almost obsolete.
Nope. Still 40% of internet users when I checked a couple of months ago. It's just that webcomics advertise on webcomic sites and end up recycling the same group of teenager-to-twenty-something computer savvy gamers with 1024x768 screens around and around.

There are a lot more people out there than that. It's just that no one's trying to get them reading. Advertising in the webcomic audience has higher returns, I guess. You already know they like webcomics.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
Sam_Charette
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:58 pm
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by Sam_Charette »

I have zero problems with scrolling up and down. It's natural, as others said, as most web pages of substantive length require it anyway.

BUT...

I want the comic to appear without having to scroll down to see it. It doesn't have to, but I really prefer it.

AND

I hate scrolling sideways.
Image

User avatar
Nyke
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
Contact:

Post by Nyke »

If I have to scroll, I want to be able to scroll only one way. Make it too tall, fine. Make it too wide, fine. Make it too tall AND too wide, fuck you.
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.

User avatar
Cortland
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1202
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Bellevue, Neb.
Contact:

Post by Cortland »

Question: how big should a comic be (pixel-wise) to avoid scrolling issues? I find I have to scroll down somewhat to read all of my own comic online, and I'd rather not have to do that, especially if it annoys some people.
Image Image

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

It's based on screen resolution. It's about 615 pixels at normal 1024 by 768 resolution.
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
Cope
Incompetent Monster
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Masked man of mystery
Contact:

Post by Cope »

I'll cast my vote by saying I don't mind scrolling vertically or horizontally so long as I don't have to do both simultaneously. Also I agree with Joel in that comics exceeding the length or width of the screen need buttons at both ends. Personally, I like this because it allows me to start downloading the next comic in a new window before I start reading the currnet one.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

User avatar
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend
Posts: 6163
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Walking on sunshine
Contact:

Post by Vorticus »

Vertically, no problem. Horizontally, I only put up with if I think the comic is quality and my efforts will be rewarded.

User avatar
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2390
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: ATOMIC!
Contact:

Post by Bustertheclown »

I don't mind so much, but I do try to make it so that my own comics don't need so much scrolling. However, I do tall comics, so it's hard to get the detail in and still maintain a scroll-less page, so there's a bit of it to be had.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com

User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4062
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Post by Grabmygoblin »

don't mind scrolling down.
the only person I've seen really effectively use sideways scroll is williamg, author of it's about girls.

hate it when people make comics way too big for the window and you have to both sideways scroll and downwards scroll. it is one or the other.

however, if you are making an infinite canvas comic, I will follow everything you do. those are fun, if done well.
Image

User avatar
MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls
Posts: 3568
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:42 pm
Location: Together
Contact:

Post by MariaAndMichelle »

Don't really like scrolling down, but we don't mind it. Our comic's guilty of it, anyway.

Scrolling sideways sucks chode, though. ...But Goblin's right that it's okay in It's About Girls.
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image

Post Reply