How do you write?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

How do you write?

Postby Ideal Comics on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:26 pm

How do you write? Full Script, Marvel Method, some weird fusion your created?
Ideal Comics
Regular Poster

Re: How do you write?

Postby Ti-Phil on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:49 am

Usually I have a basic idea or plot for the story. Some checkpoints I know I want the characters to reach.
I usually try to write/draw a few pages in advance in pale blue so that, when I clean one of the page, I can make sure that the link between this page and the incoming ones are correct.
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

Postby JSConner800 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:15 pm

Whenever I write anything, be it comics, short stories, novels, or film/stage scripts, I always spend at least a couple months mapping everything out in my head before I even start writing. I still make a ton of revisions as I actually begin to physically put the story together, but I like to at least try and get it right the first time.

I went to an interesting seminar once where the speaker defined two main types of creative writers: diamond polishers, and swamp drivers. Diamond polishers work slowly, trying to perfect their writing as they go. Swamp drivers, on the other hand, go as quickly as possible and lay down the foundation of the story with typos, plot holes, and all - then they go back and fix it up later. According to her, the only way to drive through a swamp is to gun it and just let momentum and sheer force of will carry you over the mud. Maybe it's because I've never lived in or near a swamp, but I've always been a diamond polisher, for better or worse. It takes forever to get anything done, but it's the only way I can feel good about my work.

I'm curious, though - what's the Marvel Method? I tried looking it up, but I couldn't really find a definitive answer. I write out full descriptions for each panel (which have gotten longer and more descriptive as I've gained more experience in comics writing), plus a separate column for dialogue. When I first started, that was the recommended format that I found, but I'm curious to know if there are alternatives I should be exploring.
My eternal schlong unravels - VeryCuddlyCornpone
JSConner800
Regular Poster

Postby Bustertheclown on Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:15 pm

I start with storyboards. I don't see much reason to script for a visual medium, since I work on my own.

JSConner800 wrote:
I'm curious, though - what's the Marvel Method? I tried looking it up, but I couldn't really find a definitive answer.

It's a complex system where you do the lion's share of the work, and Stan Lee screws you over, and takes all the credit. Excelsior, True Believer!
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Yeahduff on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Plot an outline, maybe take note of specific lines or images that will eventually go in there. Then do a kinda Shakespearean script with lines and vague action notes. Probably not a great way of doing it.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby Ideal Comics on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:45 pm

My process used to be to map beginning middle and end, and then write a full script. For the last while, though, we have been using a modified Marvel style: Plot-->Story outline-->art--dialog

Been a wild trip, but we are getting fun results
Ideal Comics
Regular Poster

Return to General Discussion