Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Risky
69
Posts: 3834
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 8:41 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by Risky »

Adorabledesolation wrote:SOOO...
Anybody around here use a posing program? Is Daz3d any good or should I try something else?
Daz3d is as good as any other posing program. However it's tricky to create custom poses that don't look stiff, and if you use it as too direct a reference you can make your characters look completely off-model: different build, different (blank) expression, etc. If you use professional poses and expressions you can do a little better with the stiffness / blankness, but then you are limited to the poses and expressions you bought. As soon as you change them you run the risk of reverting to stiff, robotic, or even just bizarre positions. And just because you can get a model into a given position doesn't mean a person can get into that position, or the shapes the model's "muscles" make will mimic those of a human... twisting and deformity are a real problem.

Not saying any other program is better, just that you shouldn't expect too much.

User avatar
Adorabledesolation
Regular Poster
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:53 am
Location: I not only drive the short bus, I'm also a passenger!
Contact:

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by Adorabledesolation »

Risky wrote:
Daz3d is as good as any other posing program. However it's tricky to create custom poses that don't look stiff, and if you use it as too direct a reference you can make your characters look completely off-model: different build, different (blank) expression, etc. If you use professional poses and expressions you can do a little better with the stiffness / blankness, but then you are limited to the poses and expressions you bought. As soon as you change them you run the risk of reverting to stiff, robotic, or even just bizarre positions. And just because you can get a model into a given position doesn't mean a person can get into that position, or the shapes the model's "muscles" make will mimic those of a human... twisting and deformity are a real problem.

Not saying any other program is better, just that you shouldn't expect too much.
I played with a previous version of Daz and yeah some of the model poses are stiff, twisted and goofy looking, I was hoping to use the general poses mostly for the proportions (I have a character that's 7 ft tall and he always looks weird to me) and for practice. I'm gonna need to watch myself so I don't depend on it too much.

SHORT CUTS!!! I WANT SHORT CUTS DAMMIT!!!!!
Oh hey lookit. My banner's been approved! Adorable Desolation
Image

User avatar
Risky
69
Posts: 3834
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 8:41 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by Risky »

Adorabledesolation wrote:
Risky wrote:
Daz3d is as good as any other posing program. However it's tricky to create custom poses that don't look stiff, and if you use it as too direct a reference you can make your characters look completely off-model: different build, different (blank) expression, etc. If you use professional poses and expressions you can do a little better with the stiffness / blankness, but then you are limited to the poses and expressions you bought. As soon as you change them you run the risk of reverting to stiff, robotic, or even just bizarre positions. And just because you can get a model into a given position doesn't mean a person can get into that position, or the shapes the model's "muscles" make will mimic those of a human... twisting and deformity are a real problem.

Not saying any other program is better, just that you shouldn't expect too much.
I played with a previous version of Daz and yeah some of the model poses are stiff, twisted and goofy looking, I was hoping to use the general poses mostly for the proportions (I have a character that's 7 ft tall and he always looks weird to me) and for practice. I'm gonna need to watch myself so I don't depend on it too much.

SHORT CUTS!!! I WANT SHORT CUTS DAMMIT!!!!!
The real answer still is and always will be people. Not saying I don't use Daz when I need a pose I can't find a good reference for, or particularly for figuring out framing multi-character shots, but mostly I use reference photo sites and google images.... sometimes comic books if it's a particularly comicky pose or expression.

User avatar
Mastermind
Regular Poster
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:29 am

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by Mastermind »

The closest thing I've used was TES4: Oblivion with pose mods XD Of course it probably isn't enough for specific poses but it's handy for proportions at all angles. I need to get back to making screenshot comics for that game...

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by McDuffies »

hagain55 wrote:Alright.
Sh!t Happens R was reviewed by the always frank and square SergeXIII who coincidentally is the prototypic organism to scrutiny the creation Sh!t Happens and suitably rupture it separate - and he didn't scotch this abstraction either.

User avatar
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
Contact:

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

Serge, are you gonna let that guy say shit like that about you and get away with it???
Image
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by Dutch! »

Does he have to respond? I can barely make sense of it myself. Is it a jab at someone, or... I don't know, I can't make head or tail of the sentence structure. I may have missed something though.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Brisvegas
Contact:

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by RobboAKAscooby »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by McDuffies »

Dutch! wrote:Does he have to respond? I can barely make sense of it myself. Is it a jab at someone, or... I don't know, I can't make head or tail of the sentence structure. I may have missed something though.
(psst, it's a spam created by a bot that jumbles together pieces of previous posts)

User avatar
Adorabledesolation
Regular Poster
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:53 am
Location: I not only drive the short bus, I'm also a passenger!
Contact:

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by Adorabledesolation »

Oh dear gosh. (At the risk of sounding stupid gullible) Can they do that now? :o
Oh hey lookit. My banner's been approved! Adorable Desolation
Image

User avatar
robotthepirate
Regular Poster
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:02 am
Location: Staffordshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by robotthepirate »

McDuffies wrote:
hagain55 wrote:Alright.
Sh!t Happens R was reviewed by the always frank and square SergeXIII who coincidentally is the prototypic organism to scrutiny the creation Sh!t Happens and suitably rupture it separate - and he didn't scotch this abstraction either.
Then
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Serge, are you gonna let that guy say shit like that about you and get away with it???
Then
Dutch! wrote:Does he have to respond? I can barely make sense of it myself. Is it a jab at someone, or... I don't know, I can't make head or tail of the sentence structure. I may have missed something though.
Dutch! Don't be so harsh on Cuddly.
Image Image Image Image

User avatar
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
Contact:

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

McDuffies started this all. Look at his post count. That's not his post count, it's the number of souls he's eaten.
Image
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by Dutch! »

Okies, if its' a clever spambot (God Help Us All!), then yup, I was flummoxed by it and I'll own that! :)

Not sure how I was being harsh to Cuddly... unless I've missed the joke on that one as well.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by McDuffies »

Adorabledesolation wrote:Oh dear gosh. (At the risk of sounding stupid gullible) Can they do that now? :o
Yes. What they still can't is make sentences that Dutch can make head from tail of.
McDuffies started this all. Look at his post count. That's not his post count, it's the number of souls he's eaten.
Some weren't all that good.
Not sure how I was being harsh to Cuddly... unless I've missed the joke on that one as well.
Don't worry, robotthepirate is also a bot.

User avatar
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
Contact:

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

More like robotthebotbot, amirite?
Image
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

User avatar
robotthepirate
Regular Poster
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:02 am
Location: Staffordshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Webcomic Above You VI - DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by robotthepirate »

Image
I'm thinking now I should have put: "Do not feed the Domesticated Spam-bot.". Ah well.

I thought it looked amusingly like you we saying: "Does he have to respond? I can barely make sense of it myself. Is it a jab at someone, or... I don't know, I can't make head or tail of the sentence structure. I may have missed something though." about Cuddly, as she was the post above you. But I fuddled it.
Image Image Image Image

Post Reply