Rebirth of Webcomic Above Discussion
- RemusShepherd
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2011
- Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
- Contact:
Thanks, Rkolter!
Yes, I've realized the problem with Foil. His power level fluctuates wildly throughout the comic...but as the point of view character, that causes confusion in the reader. They see things through Foil's reactions, and they don't understand that what he's seeing changes due to changes in him, not necessarily in what's around him. Lesson learned -- main characters need to be more constant, or explained more fully, than everything else in the story.
Let's just say that Foil *is* a very capable shaman...*and* completely out of his league.
The 'anti-moral' slant is interesting...something I hadn't really considered. The end of the story may add wrinkles to that viewpoint, but it's neat...especially since it's not what I intended. I love it when things pop out of a story by themselves.
Yes, I've realized the problem with Foil. His power level fluctuates wildly throughout the comic...but as the point of view character, that causes confusion in the reader. They see things through Foil's reactions, and they don't understand that what he's seeing changes due to changes in him, not necessarily in what's around him. Lesson learned -- main characters need to be more constant, or explained more fully, than everything else in the story.
Let's just say that Foil *is* a very capable shaman...*and* completely out of his league.
The 'anti-moral' slant is interesting...something I hadn't really considered. The end of the story may add wrinkles to that viewpoint, but it's neat...especially since it's not what I intended. I love it when things pop out of a story by themselves.
- Rkolter
- Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

- Posts: 16399
- Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
- Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
- Contact:
Hey Thanks JackHass!
I uh... wasn't next in line for a review though.
But thanks!
I would have someone else do the artwork. But that would require me writing the story, then drawing the art, then showing the story and art to someone else, getting THEM to understand the story, and then drawing scientifically accurate, but much better, art.
Besides, who'd want to draw science art? Legostar's no better than I am. Tellurider's impossible to get ahold of. YarpsDat likewise. Remus might do it, but he has hard enough time keeping on his own schedule.
No, it'd have to be me. I -am- getting better. Just toooooo slowly.
I uh... wasn't next in line for a review though.
But thanks!
I would have someone else do the artwork. But that would require me writing the story, then drawing the art, then showing the story and art to someone else, getting THEM to understand the story, and then drawing scientifically accurate, but much better, art.
Besides, who'd want to draw science art? Legostar's no better than I am. Tellurider's impossible to get ahold of. YarpsDat likewise. Remus might do it, but he has hard enough time keeping on his own schedule.
No, it'd have to be me. I -am- getting better. Just toooooo slowly.
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
- The Neko
- A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
- Posts: 3878
- Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
- Location: New York City
Yeah, that was constructive. But no. You're a bit late for the criticism train, it departed several pages ago.Killbert-Robby wrote:A.K.A. find more original insults?The Neko wrote:Yeah, my review for 8:1 is taking me a while. It's going to take some extra time to flesh out my thoughts on it.
jag saknar självförtroende
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Awww I found your critiques entertaining...The Neko wrote:Yeah, that was constructive. But no. You're a bit late for the criticism train, it departed several pages ago.Killbert-Robby wrote:A.K.A. find more original insults?The Neko wrote:Yeah, my review for 8:1 is taking me a while. It's going to take some extra time to flesh out my thoughts on it.

-
Perk_daddy
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:58 pm
- Location: Utah
- Contact:
- RemusShepherd
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2011
- Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
- Contact:
Neko also has the advantage of being a capable artist and writer. I can make guesses about what's wrong with someone's art, but I may not be able to point to specifically what is wrong because I have no art training. I can say 'the anatomy's wrong, somehow', where someone who actually knows anatomy would be able to pinpoint the problem and give examples.
It would be interesting to split this up into 'Webcomic Art Above' and 'Webcomic Writing Above', so people could aim for what they want reviewed and what they're best at critiquing. I'm not sure it would be a good idea, but it would be interesting...
It would be interesting to split this up into 'Webcomic Art Above' and 'Webcomic Writing Above', so people could aim for what they want reviewed and what they're best at critiquing. I'm not sure it would be a good idea, but it would be interesting...
- The Neko
- A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
- Posts: 3878
- Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
- Location: New York City
I don't think being capable at writing or art (which I'd argue I'm really not at either by my standards) is what really determines a good critic, but rather the ability to compare and deconstruct. A lot of my critical thought process was demonstrated in the side-by-side image comparisons in the Lightbringer review. I compare the piece to something in a similar vein that works, whereas the original is lacking. And then I try to deconstruct both to see the moving parts that cause one to function and the other to falter. Really, it's looking at the mechanics of what makes something good and what makes something bad.
Unfortunately, I can't always do the same with my own work.
The hardest part about critiquing to define, I think, is "a sense of good taste" when it comes to media. Some treat taste empirically and others say it's subjective. I look at it like someone who has good taste in design, which people don't seem to argue against as often in comparison to when someone has a good taste in film or literature.
Unfortunately, I can't always do the same with my own work.
The hardest part about critiquing to define, I think, is "a sense of good taste" when it comes to media. Some treat taste empirically and others say it's subjective. I look at it like someone who has good taste in design, which people don't seem to argue against as often in comparison to when someone has a good taste in film or literature.
Last edited by The Neko on Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jag saknar självförtroende
- RemusShepherd
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2011
- Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
- Contact:
Yeah, but you have the tools to be that kind of mechanic, where others may not. (And I've told you before that I think you're way too hard on yourself and your abilities.)
I just looked at the next comic in the queue because I'd never heard of it before. And although the art is lush and talented, I don't like it...and I can't say why. It just seems wrong somehow. I can't review it if I can't offer specific, constructive suggestions.
I just looked at the next comic in the queue because I'd never heard of it before. And although the art is lush and talented, I don't like it...and I can't say why. It just seems wrong somehow. I can't review it if I can't offer specific, constructive suggestions.
A lot of people have trouble "reviewing" their own work, or checking it for problems, etc. Just ask net, and his writing/scripts. 
I hope we're not going back to the <3 neko/bash neko's critiques bit again. Man, these webcomic above things cause a lot of trouble these days. When did these forums get so gosh darn emo about everything? :S
I hope we're not going back to the <3 neko/bash neko's critiques bit again. Man, these webcomic above things cause a lot of trouble these days. When did these forums get so gosh darn emo about everything? :S
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
We're not emo! You just don't understand us!TdotOdot2k wrote:A lot of people have trouble "reviewing" their own work, or checking it for problems, etc. Just ask net, and his writing/scripts.
I hope we're not going back to the <3 neko/bash neko's critiques bit again. Man, these webcomic above things cause a lot of trouble these days. When did these forums get so gosh darn emo about everything? :S

I'm leaving the internet forever! For the 20847th time! 
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die










