New Years Comics Resolutions

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Dotty
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2434
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:29 pm
Location: Drunk!
Contact:

Post by Dotty »

Dammit Dawg, stop wooing away my drugs and women! :x

Personally...to get my shit together. KoV needs 2 updates a week, Elvenbaath 1, and I'd like to get project 3 off the ground, earlier the better.
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die

User avatar
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Fraggle Rock
Contact:

Post by Garneta »

To get a buffer back up, fix the buttons on the character pages (they take you to the fillers page instead of back to the main page), take all the fillers out of the archive and update the fillers page, and update my links page.
Image
Image Image Image

User avatar
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
Posts: 3748
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: not-France

Post by Keffria »

To finish this stupid arc. I just want it to end already. D:

User avatar
OfNaturalOccurrence
Regular Poster
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:59 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Post by OfNaturalOccurrence »

To actually start it.
- Adam

Gildedtongue
Regular Poster
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:26 pm
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Contact:

Post by Gildedtongue »

To not draw so suckily.
To get better lettering.
Failing that, learn GIMP better.
Figure out how to make word balloons in GIMP.
Make the site look more like a site rather than black text on white background.
Actually make an arc go the way I want it. *listens to the uproarious laughter of the other cartoonists*
Make the comic funny.
Build an Archives page.
Cameo everyone I owe in it.
Keep it up three days a week.
Don't do as much filler.
Stop doing 5 frames of face close ups to avoid drawing other things.

A number of various things.

User avatar
Laundromatcomics
Regular Poster
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:30 am
Location: Sure, I've done some time...what of it?
Contact:

Post by Laundromatcomics »

Build readership
improve coloring
experiment with styles
finish building site
Image

User avatar
Legion
Regular Poster
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:22 am
Location: Manchester

Post by Legion »

To get a good script buffer going so I know what I'm doing
To get a good comic buffer going so I can occasioanlly slack off :P
To maybe return to two updates a week, or threee if I can manage it
To actually explain what the heck is going on to people who aren't me

User avatar
Hallonpress
Regular Poster
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:22 am
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Contact:

Post by Hallonpress »

Hmmm... Keep updating. Try to get into Malmö comic school again. Try contact a publisher (wether they answer or not).

Oh, and post more on this forum! :D
Image

User avatar
Redtech
Regular Poster
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:15 am
Location: 'Terror central' London
Contact:

Post by Redtech »

Gildedtongue wrote:To not draw so suckily.
To get better lettering.
Failing that, learn GIMP better.
Figure out how to make word balloons in GIMP.
Make the site look more like a site rather than black text on white background.
Actually make an arc go the way I want it. *listens to the uproarious laughter of the other cartoonists*
Make the comic funny.
Build an Archives page.
Cameo everyone I owe in it.
Keep it up three days a week.
Don't do as much filler.
Stop doing 5 frames of face close ups to avoid drawing other things.

A number of various things.
And I thought I put myself down! Just had a look at your stuff, isn't the worst I've ever seen. I should know, I should show you some of my old stuff! You just need a bit of faith in your abilities and a logical line of thought. Your site design works, just needs buttons rather than links there we go...

EDIT: Just browsed your archive. Not, bad at all! There's improvement, characterisation and minor comedy.

Young people nowadays! I'm 24 and know I suck (metaphorically and physically), but have faith!

Anyway, what was I going to say?!
Oh yeah.
1) Resist the temptation for my male and female leads to have sex. It's not in character for a start.
2) Lay off the gradients. And the glow effects. "Zophia, that means you!"
3) Decrease the .jpg compression IT RAPES MY EYES!
4) Use better colours. 16.5 million and I still end up with pastel!
5) Better dialogues, stronger characterisation, more 'Soviet Power, Post Colonial African Elitism and Chinese self preservation.'
6) Better proportions, more practice=more profit.
7) Get people not to laugh when I saw I can draw.
Last edited by Redtech on Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes the failed experiments are the ones that don't try to kill you
Image

Gildedtongue
Regular Poster
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:26 pm
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Contact:

Post by Gildedtongue »

Bah, I'm 23 and draw at the level of a 4th grader! But, I know things improve over time. Chuck Jones said in his biography "Every artist has a million bad pictures in them. The key is getting them all out and done with early."

I've yet to read your comic Redtech (considering there's a billion of them hosted on here) but, I'm going to presume that the pastel colouring isn't a detractment. Good pastels look interesting, stylized, but that's just me.

Ah well, now to go through your archives and prove me right!

[EDIT] And now having gone through your archive, I can safety say your comic isn't that bad either. You remember your backgrounds which are usually sorely missing in computer drawn comics. You include some action in between periods of exposition, which helps pacing, and the characters do seem interesting. Keep it up!

User avatar
Redtech
Regular Poster
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:15 am
Location: 'Terror central' London
Contact:

Post by Redtech »

Yayes!

Thanks. I guess you started late when it came to art? I suppose I should toss in http://public.fotki.com/redvsed/ there's hope for all of us..out there!

On your side, if you need help with html or stuff like that, you can always ask around. It's really easy to do buttons. Heck just draw "previous, next" etc buttons, give correct file names, add them to workspace/images and autokeen does the rest... it's all about patience more then anything. I just don't feel that healthy people should put themselves down.

You should see my friend, he's 25 and he's convinced his life his over. I love being the 'old b-stard who drinks and goes on about the good old days'.
Sometimes the failed experiments are the ones that don't try to kill you
Image

Perk_daddy
Regular Poster
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:58 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Post by Perk_daddy »

-Update on schedule
-learn how to tell a story
ImageImage

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

-to complete Legostar Galactica's Giant one year story arc
-to accomplish what i have planned for the 5 year aniversary
-to start new comic project
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Gildedtongue wrote:Bah, I'm 23 and draw at the level of a 4th grader!
I know quite a few ten year olds who can draw really, <i>really</i> well...
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork
Posts: 2269
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:23 am
Location: Anywhere else but here....
Contact:

Post by Prettysenshi »

Keffria wrote:To finish this stupid arc. I just want it to end already. D:
OMG. I know the feeling. Before you know it, it's taken a year to get through a chapter. D:

But my comic resolution would be to update daily....and not suck.

CSchaefer
Regular Poster
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:01 pm
Location: Joliet, IL
Contact:

Post by CSchaefer »

I resolve to whip out the fanservice.
Image

User avatar
The Mortician
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1705
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:59 pm
Contact:

Post by The Mortician »

Finish Team Ort (solo forum comic)
Not start another project because I think Project A.D.A.M. sucks.
Finish drawing Chapter 1.
Write chapters ahead of time.

User avatar
P-Frank
Regular Poster
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 8:56 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Post by P-Frank »

I vow to write a new script every damn week, had trouble with that last year.

User avatar
Alschroeder
Regular Poster
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:21 pm
Location: Nashville
Contact:

Post by Alschroeder »

To draw a separate comic strip, called FLICKERFLAME, when it doesn't conflict with MM.---Al
http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com--MINDMISTRESS
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroe ... series.php--Flickerflame</a>
Image

User avatar
PF27
Regular Poster
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:14 pm
Contact:

Post by PF27 »

To finish drawing, scanning, and toning the rest of this chapter by the end of january. To not have any more delays in my bi-weekly updates for the rest of the year. (Once I finish this chapter, I'll be set for the next three months, if I manage a chapter every month or two I'll never miss an update! :D)

Post Reply