Anyone else have ADD? How do you deal with it?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Post Reply
User avatar
Rosenborg
Regular Poster
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:53 am
Location: Europe
Contact:

Anyone else have ADD? How do you deal with it?

Post by Rosenborg »

I couldn't find any other thread to this topic anywhere else in this forum, so I though I'd open one.

I have Attention Deficiency Disorder (at least I'm pretty sure), so I sometimes have a hard time creating time-consuming pictures. Any other comic artists have the same problem? How do you cope with it? Any tricks that can be used?
Br

User avatar
Chibiartstudios
Regular Poster
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:33 pm
Location: Right behind you!
Contact:

Post by Chibiartstudios »

I have it. The kind with hyperactivity to. Though I'm nowhere near as bad as I used to be. I find that just sitting down and doing something, anything related to your project is the best way to get in the mood. It's all about telling yourself no and foregoing things you may enjoy. Which is not easy for us crazy types.

But the most important think is to avoid all distractions if you ca-

Oh! look a shiney!
Help me live my childhood dream of becoming the head of an evil corrupt corporate conglomorate:
Image

User avatar
Locster
Regular Poster
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:56 am
Location: Somewhere dutch

Post by Locster »

i got that to, strange thing is i never get distracted when i am drawing.

and yes hyperactive to! whooohooo!
Last edited by Locster on Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
My sketchbook is such a scary place...

<K-Dawg> heh 69
<Mercury_Hat> I wonder who was the first guy to come up with that

Mr. Bob wrote: <b>Locster's axe not really bloodied, Its just tomato sauce</b>

User avatar
MrEff
Regular Poster
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:19 am
Location: Cruisin Mos Espa in my Delorean
Contact:

Post by MrEff »

I definetly have a touch of ADD and my girl punches me in the face everytime it kicks in....

But seriously.... I find drawing is the best for it.... I know that sounds weird but it works for me....

-MrEff-

that and some bong hits

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

I've had ADD all my life. I usually deal with it by
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
RadPal
Regular Poster
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:08 pm

Post by RadPal »

Try tying yourself to your seat, it might work.

As for me, its really at its worst when I have a lot of free time (which probably makes sense). But now that the semester has started and I have negative 3 seconds of free time per day, I have no choice but to sit down and finish my work.

So I guess that's good in a weird, bad way.

User avatar
Godoftarot
Regular Poster
Posts: 911
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...
Contact:

Post by Godoftarot »

Find some speed and take it. If you get all wired, you don't have ADD. If you calm down and start to focus, you do. I will not be held responsible if you actually try this.

Medication. Don't let the talk of folks who are in denial keep you from getting what you need. If you really have ADD, it means your attention span is slower getting started than other people. Medication simply puts it on a normal level.
http://godoftarot.keenspace.com
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."

User avatar
Birdie
Keeps telling everyone stuff
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:50 am
Location: With your mom
Contact:

Post by Birdie »

I have ADD. It can be a gift and a curse. While I was studying in school it was a curse, I would doodle, write notes for class, and write jokes for my comic, or when I did my radio show I'd create my playlists in class and I was always distracted and sometimes I suffered in class.

Of course when I'm at home, I can multitask like a motherfucker. I can surf four websites, have 6 different conversations and sometimes be in two different chatrooms at once and get by and understand everything that's going on.

of course the question is, how to make it work for you, as a cartoonist. I say carry a pad with you everywhere you go, sometimes you'll want to draw, sometimes you won't but you'll always be ready when you do. You don't have to carry a huge sketchbook for me, I have scratchpads I bought at K-Mart for about fifty cents. Also, find out what works best for your focusing. Do you have to work late at night? Early in the morning, sometimes having a schedule is really useful. I'll think of more advice later. I still have a comic to draw!
"I find the first strip on this site incredibly offensive and awful" - Scott Kurtz
SuperFightFight More Filling than Douche Juice!

User avatar
Dotty
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2434
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:29 pm
Location: Drunk!
Contact:

Post by Dotty »

godoftarot wrote:Find some speed and take it. If you get all wired, you don't have ADD. If you calm down and start to focus, you do. I will not be held responsible if you actually try this.

Medication. Don't let the talk of folks who are in denial keep you from getting what you need. If you really have ADD, it means your attention span is slower getting started than other people. Medication simply puts it on a normal level.
The medicine makes me tired and a person who I am not. Medicine is definitely something you should try, but if you don't like it, don't hesitate to get off it.

I just love drawing, so A.D.H.D doesn't stop me. I just work and work and work, with a whole crapload of procrastination in the middle. Usually chat or something.
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die

User avatar
Stolle
Regular Poster
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:37 pm
Contact:

Post by Stolle »

How do you cope with it? Any tricks that can be used?
I drink huge amounts of coffee then some whisky - somehow it seems to my head keep spinning, but at the same time relaxed in my body. Ever tried that? Without the coffee/whisky mix I get unmanageably restless after 4 minutes. With it, I'm able to sit for hours with only my pencil moving.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Dunno if I ever had ADD, but it is tough for me to concentrate on one thing.
And I usually can't make myself to spend more time on one panel, but then again I like them that way.

User avatar
BeefotronX
Regular Poster
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:40 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by BeefotronX »

I'm still trying to figure that bit out. Right now I'm operating under the theory that if I can convince myself that I'm a genius, I will be more committed to my work.
Image
A webcomic so scrumptrelescent you can barely move.

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

supernerdcore wrote:I have ADD. It can be a gift and a curse. While I was studying in school it was a curse, I would doodle, write notes for class, and write jokes for my comic, or when I did my radio show I'd create my playlists in class and I was always distracted and sometimes I suffered in class.

Of course when I'm at home, I can multitask like a motherfucker. I can surf four websites, have 6 different conversations and sometimes be in two different chatrooms at once and get by and understand everything that's going on.

of course the question is, how to make it work for you, as a cartoonist. I say carry a pad with you everywhere you go, sometimes you'll want to draw, sometimes you won't but you'll always be ready when you do. You don't have to carry a huge sketchbook for me, I have scratchpads I bought at K-Mart for about fifty cents. Also, find out what works best for your focusing. Do you have to work late at night? Early in the morning, sometimes having a schedule is really useful. I'll think of more advice later. I still have a comic to draw!
What I do when I sit down to draw, is I also have my guitar, a sketchbook and a regular notebook all circulated around me. I tend to move from one thing to the other, so if my concentraton waves I can take a break do something else then come back to it.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
DEVO-Bot
Regular Poster
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: College, CA
Contact:

Post by DEVO-Bot »

Sad to say, I deal with my ADHD through heavy medication, or if I (god forbid) run out of it, caffeine or a little alcohol can tide me over for a bit. It took a while to find a medicine I liked though... anyway, if you think you might actually have ADD, totally go and see somebody about it.

To those who are just distractable-listening to music on headphones always blocks out the rest of the world pretty well for me. And don't draw near the computer?
<KensouX> DEVO-Bot spouts out the mad phrases, tweekin' your brain harder than 35 cocaine cases.
Image

Now Alive Again

User avatar
Smight
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 am
Location: A Dark Place
Contact:

Post by Smight »

I could lay in bed all day and not do or think of anything. Or I can focus in the most distracting situations to a point where everything else doesn't exist. No ADD here, maybe a mild case of massive accute depression, but none of that ADD stuff.
I remember caring... It was nice.

User avatar
Nyke
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
Contact:

Post by Nyke »

I've got ADD. I've also got SUBTRACT, MULTIPLY, DIVIDE, SQUARE ROOT...
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.

User avatar
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1975
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:23 pm
Location: Canada, eh?
Contact:

Post by Terotrous »

http://creatorz.keenspace.com/d/20050120.html

Comic Creatorz understands you.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Image
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.

User avatar
Tarotreader3
Regular Poster
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Location: Peterborough OR Markham ontario, canada
Contact:

Post by Tarotreader3 »

heh, look at us, we all have ADD, or ADHD (I have the latter). I deal with it by pretty much just stopping when I feel like I need to, otherwise I'll tweak out. I find drawing when doing the alternative is more boring (I draw in lectures and seminars all the time to take my mind off them, but I have the ability to pretty much just absorb what I hear, so that might not work for people who need to take notes). Spinning my pen around my thumb (you know what i'm talking about? where you flick it around? like a batton?) I find that helps me to not tweak out too.

ahh the joys of ADHD. I often wonder what it's like to not have it, and not have to create these coping mechanisims. perhaps it would make things more boring. perhaps it would make me more productive.
Image
<Exit: The Professionals> <Enter: The College Pros>
Vote for me here

User avatar
Driving Without Pants
Regular Poster
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 am
Location: French Indochina
Contact:

Post by Driving Without Pants »

I think the reason why we "all have ADD" is because it's one of the most over-diagnosed disorders out there. Some experts speculate that it doesn't even really exist on a physiological level, but rather that it's entirely personality/psychological (i.e. drugs really don't solve the problem and in fact make it worse.)
~ Mike Ramsey

The State News

User avatar
Chrismills
Regular Poster
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 1:27 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Contact:

Post by Chrismills »

I had a very mild case of it when I was young, back before if became trendy (Driving, I couldn't agree with you more). I'm not sure if it still affects me, but I do find that I can have real trouble concentrating sometimes. It might be that TV has turned us all into zombies with 30 second attention spans.

It's sad how overmedicated in general our society is. Wait, did I say sad? I meant scary.
Image

Post Reply