Art or writing?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Is the art or the writing more important for a webcomic?

Art
22
26%
Writing
62
74%
 
Total votes: 84

User avatar
Nervous Spy
For your Eyes Only
Posts: 734
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by Nervous Spy »

Cookie wrote:Art and writing, art and writing
Go together like teeth and biting
This I tell you brother
You cant have one without the other
:lol:

Although, strictly speaking, you *can* have teeth without actually biting. And you can have a horse without a carriage - so I guess those lyrics were a bit asymmetrical to begin with. :)

Czar
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:37 am
Location: Wandering.

Post by Czar »

Nervous Spy wrote:
Cookie wrote:Art and writing, art and writing
Go together like teeth and biting
This I tell you brother
You cant have one without the other
:lol:

Although, strictly speaking, you *can* have teeth without actually biting. And you can have a horse without a carriage - so I guess those lyrics were a bit asymmetrical to begin with. :)
It's a bit pointless to have a carriage without a horse or biting without teeth, though.
Så länge skutan kan gå, så länge hjärtat kan slå, så länge solen den glittrar på böljorna blå...

User avatar
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: I are serious member. This are serious post.

Post by Legendary »

Biting with a beak is possible, no?
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!

Czar
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:37 am
Location: Wandering.

Post by Czar »

Legendary wrote:Biting with a beak is possible, no?
It's more of a nibble, I think.
Så länge skutan kan gå, så länge hjärtat kan slå, så länge solen den glittrar på böljorna blå...

User avatar
Dotty
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2434
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:29 pm
Location: Drunk!
Contact:

Post by Dotty »

I'd lean heavier to the art side, as I've read plenty of webcomics that were pretty damn retarded but also ones that I enjoyed greatly, because they were presented wonderfully in the visual department. Eye candy. I love it.

When I thought about this question, I knew inevitably that "both" would be my only true answer, and that's just how it is. There is no cut and dry yes and no here. To make a comic really GOOD, it requires both. I've seen the names I expected to see in here, thrown out there to prove whatever point they were used for. There's a few that readily jump to my mind, since they're universally labelled "good" webcomics. More often than not, "great" webcomics.

I'll split em and say why these particular comics brought me to my conclusion.

1. qwantz.com (Dinosaur Comics)

A lot of people like this comic, and I read it every now and again for a laugh. This comic does not prove a good comic does not require good art. The reason I came to this conclusion; I could type the words into a .txt file and present that on the web, and it would still be just as funny. The clip art doesn't really do anything to enhance the comic except occasionally give the dinosaurs (Character 1 and Character 2, occasionally Character 3) something to yell about and step on. This could be done through words just as easily, since it's always the same thing they're stepping on.

2. Diesel Sweeties

I CAN'T READ THIS.

3. Applegeeks

Wow what a wonderful artist. I agree, no question. Amazing talent here. The only question I've ever had for this comic is...how the hell did you get stuck with such a bad writer? It's not the writing is -bad- persay, but it's definitely not interesting, creative, and when reading I'll lose my attention span really rea

4. Megatokyo

Nice art, and theres some kind of story going on here, but it's been stretched out for so many years that I don't know, or even care, what's going on here anymore.


I -could- keep listing comics like this, but every time I list one suggesting art isn't necessary, one comes up that says "yes, it is, but for gods sakes don't skimp on the writing like this guy did".

I'm sorry Joel. If you want an honest answer so as not to taint your poll for your tutorial....I can't answer this. If you just want a statistic, I'll check a box later.
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

TdotOdot2k wrote:This could be done through words just as easily, since it's always the same thing they're stepping on.
Not at all, because it's the concept of using the same art over and over again rather than the art itself that's important. You lose that concept if you switch to just the text.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
Nervous Spy
For your Eyes Only
Posts: 734
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by Nervous Spy »

Jim North wrote:
TdotOdot2k wrote:This could be done through words just as easily, since it's always the same thing they're stepping on.
Not at all, because it's the concept of using the same art over and over again rather than the art itself that's important. You lose that concept if you switch to just the text.
Exactly - without the art, you'd then have to repeat just the same text over and over again, and that would quickly lose it's novelty character.

User avatar
JTigerclaw
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1844
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:33 am
Location: Continuing the hearty tradition of pwnage.
Contact:

Post by JTigerclaw »

I'll chip in, but I don't have much of anything original to say.

I love looking at comics with great art, but, just like looking at a masterpiece like the Mona Lisa, I get bored after a while and move on. A comic, no matter how well it is drawn and how creative the artist is, is going to get old after a while without good writing. Same style of art that I'm used to = a few seconds of entertainment, exponentially less entertainment each time though. However, if that comic has a good story, or even if a comic with subpar art has a great story, I am drawn in and I look forward to updates because it offers something new... a new progression of plot, or a new joke. Therefore, at least for me, good writing gives me something to look forward to more so than good art.

But yes, to make a good webcomic, you really need both. That much is obvious.
Image
Awesome avatar done by Nervous Spy

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Post by Yeahduff »

JTigerclaw wrote:Same style of art that I'm used to = a few seconds of entertainment, exponentially less entertainment each time though. However, if that comic has a good story, or even if a comic with subpar art has a great story, I am drawn in and I look forward to updates because it offers something new... a new progression of plot, or a new joke.
Mmm.... Why does the repetition of an art style get boring but the repetition of a writing style doesn't? The comic with great art offers something new with each update too... a new angle, a new pose, different framing, a new presentation of familiar images, etc. If you're getting bored with the art, it's not great.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

User avatar
JTigerclaw
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1844
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:33 am
Location: Continuing the hearty tradition of pwnage.
Contact:

Post by JTigerclaw »

yeahduff wrote:
JTigerclaw wrote:Same style of art that I'm used to = a few seconds of entertainment, exponentially less entertainment each time though. However, if that comic has a good story, or even if a comic with subpar art has a great story, I am drawn in and I look forward to updates because it offers something new... a new progression of plot, or a new joke.
Mmm.... Why does the repetition of an art style get boring but the repetition of a writing style doesn't? The comic with great art offers something new with each update too... a new angle, a new pose, different framing, a new presentation of familiar images, etc. If you're getting bored with the art, it's not great.
Yes, this is true, but I mean more along the lines of ... great writing in a comic takes a while to unfold, so it keeps my interest much longer, and my interest is not based so much on the intrigue of the writing style itself, but on the story unfolding (in most cases... Sin City is an exception).

Yes, it's possible to make art that is marvelous enough to keep my interest for a very long time (being an artist myself, I find myself examining these comics for tips on helping my own art), but these are few and far between. It definately is possible to make a comic worth keeping up with just for the beautiful art, but I find that whenever I only have time to check on a few webcomics, I check the ones with a story that enthralls me. I get deeper into comics with good writing, or moreso, an interesting story with interesting characters. (if it was just based on how good the dialogue sounded, I would read more Shakespeare, but the story is where it's at. Not that Shakespeare doesn't have interesting stories, just trying to comprehend them enough to be entertained alot of times isn't worth the trouble.)
Image
Awesome avatar done by Nervous Spy

User avatar
TRI
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1589
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 pm
Contact:

Post by TRI »

JTigerclaw wrote:(if it was just based on how good the dialogue sounded, I would read more Shakespeare, but the story is where it's at. Not that Shakespeare doesn't have interesting stories, just trying to comprehend them enough to be entertained alot of times isn't worth the trouble.)
That's cause you're reading his work. Nothing, I feel, sucks the life out of Shakespeare more than trying to read his work instead of watching it.
ImageImageImage
"Yeah, that's the bridge pier (expletive). I thought it was the center. Oh (expletive)." ~ From the transcript of the recording device on board the ship which struck the San Franciso Bay Bridge last year, causing a 50,000 gallon oil spill.

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

I can't even understand half his plays unless I read them outloud to myself.

Also repetition of writing style is why I never read more than two Stephen King books.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

User avatar
Ladycheru
Regular Poster
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: Around
Contact:

Post by Ladycheru »

*whew* That's a toughie. I don't think I could honestly say... If you have artwork, but a bad story, or bad jokes, you're not going to attract any readers. However, if you have a super story, but bad artwork, you're initially going to deter readers. But, when it comes right down to it... I mean, some people'll try anything once, so even if you draw stick figures, and have rockin' jokes or something, you'll probably build up some fanbase. So, I guess the writing. (Probably everyone before me has said something similar.)

As a writer, in my own personal style, I feel that the two really support each other. On the one thing, I'm terrible at describing things, which is key to being a good writer. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I can draw the scene much better than I could describe it. However, I don't always feel like drawing, which is where I come in to enhance my stories. That was probably off topic, but I'm exhausted, and don't really care. 'Sides, if you can't be off topic here, where can you be off topic?
Mercury Hat wrote:I can't even understand half his plays unless I read them outloud to myself.
I took an entire course on Shakespeare and how to read an interpret his plays. We even had scripts that "translated" certain words/phrases into modern day English. To this day, I can barely understand what the heck he wrote most of the time. (Though I am quite partial to Hamlet and Much Ado About Nothing.)
Image

Image

I shall call him Squishy, and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy.

User avatar
Hallonpress
Regular Poster
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:22 am
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Contact:

Post by Hallonpress »

This thread seems very bumped. Not that I'm adding anything new to this either, but...

Wasn't Scott McCloud's point in Understanding Comics that art and writing should not be separated? That makes for a less than perfect comic, regarless of how good the individual parts are (has any of you read Tom Puss or Prince Valiant? :P ).

It's all intertwined. Art is also writing if it tells a story. That's why a wordless comic is still written. In some cases, bad art IS bad writing, if it fails to convey the mood it's meant to.
Image

User avatar
TRI
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1589
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 pm
Contact:

Post by TRI »

Egads! It's . . . A THREAD ZOMBIE!!</Doctor Orpheus>
ImageImageImage
"Yeah, that's the bridge pier (expletive). I thought it was the center. Oh (expletive)." ~ From the transcript of the recording device on board the ship which struck the San Franciso Bay Bridge last year, causing a 50,000 gallon oil spill.

User avatar
Redtech
Regular Poster
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:15 am
Location: 'Terror central' London
Contact:

Post by Redtech »

Well as long as it's no Bodak!

On topic, well I find writing and drawing to be second to 'completely idleness', so it's a learning curve for me.

I find that it's a lot easier to draw expressive scenes and work on the captions or vice versa. Characterisation is important even in gag strips. Nothing is worse than characters who no one gives a fung about.
Sometimes the failed experiments are the ones that don't try to kill you
Image

User avatar
Dwight L. MacPherson
Regular Poster
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:49 am
Location: DwightLMacPherson.com
Contact:

Post by Dwight L. MacPherson »

hallonpress wrote: Wasn't Scott McCloud's point in Understanding Comics that art and writing should not be separated? That makes for a less than perfect comic, regarless of how good the individual parts are (has any of you read Tom Puss or Prince Valiant? :P ).
He did indeed say that--but we all do it.
Let's face it: comic books are a visual medium, first and foremost. If the art does not suit your taste, you will not delve into the writing aspect of the story. No one sees a comic on the shelf or internet and says "Wow. I bet this has great writing." If the art doesn't hook you, you move on. If the art suits you, then you delve into the story.

See... this is where many small press books fail. The art is superb--so folks pick it up. After reading it, they realize the story is sh*t, so they don't continue to buy the book. The same is true in webcomics. I've found many that are wonderfully illustrated, but the story is a train wreck. So, needless to say, I don't follow those webcomics. [/rant] :lol:

User avatar
Hallonpress
Regular Poster
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:22 am
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Contact:

Post by Hallonpress »

Dwight L. MacPherson wrote:
hallonpress wrote: Wasn't Scott McCloud's point in Understanding Comics that art and writing should not be separated? That makes for a less than perfect comic, regarless of how good the individual parts are (has any of you read Tom Puss or Prince Valiant? :P ).
He did indeed say that--but we all do it.
Let's face it: comic books are a visual medium, first and foremost. If the art does not suit your taste, you will not delve into the writing aspect of the story. No one sees a comic on the shelf or internet and says "Wow. I bet this has great writing." If the art doesn't hook you, you move on. If the art suits you, then you delve into the story.

See... this is where many small press books fail. The art is superb--so folks pick it up. After reading it, they realize the story is sh*t, so they don't continue to buy the book. The same is true in webcomics. I've found many that are wonderfully illustrated, but the story is a train wreck. So, needless to say, I don't follow those webcomics. [/rant] :lol:
Certainly true. I bought The Portent by Peter Bergting because it looked so gorgeous. And it had gotten raving reviews, so it couldn't go wrong, right?

Except I found it was terrible in every regard except the art. The pacing was rushed, and the story just made me confused. Bleh.

By the way, did you mean that we all separate art and writing, or did you mean we all agree with McCloud?

What webcomics do you like? I mean, what are the best examples of art and writing in harmony? It's either one or the other that makes one turn back...
Image

User avatar
Dwight L. MacPherson
Regular Poster
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:49 am
Location: DwightLMacPherson.com
Contact:

Post by Dwight L. MacPherson »

hallonpress wrote: Certainly true. I bought The Portent by Peter Bergting because it looked so gorgeous. And it had gotten raving reviews, so it couldn't go wrong, right?

Except I found it was terrible in every regard except the art. The pacing was rushed, and the story just made me confused. Bleh.
And this proves the reality of many small press publishers simply publishing books for the art. It happens more than you might think, unfortunately.
hallonpress wrote:By the way, did you mean that we all separate art and writing, or did you mean we all agree with McCloud?
Sorry for not clarifying. I meant that we all separate art and writing. To draw an analogy from life... how many people see someone of the opposite sex for the first time and say "Wow. Look at the personality on that one?" Don't you have friends of the opposite sex who look good--and those who have good personalities? I've met some gorgeous women with sh*tty personalities, and vice versa. The truth of the matter is that we are a visually stimulate race. I don't know anyone who can tell a person's personality simply by looking at them. But if you don't like their looks--will you approach them?
Am I... ranting? :lol:
hallonpress wrote:What webcomics do you like? I mean, what are the best examples of art and writing in harmony? It's either one or the other that makes one turn back...
Besides my own? Sorry... had to go there. :lol:
To be honest, I am so busy with writing and editing comic books, writing webcomics, attending college full-time, writing a column for Broken Frontier and raising three kids on my own--that I find very little time to scour the internet for webcomics. There are a few I enjoy, but I am certain that I am seriously missing out on other great webcomics out there. We need to add about 4 hours to each day. :lol:
A few I follow are:

Hero by Night Diaries
Death Piglet
Toy Division

I would add more, but I really need to leave for class now.

Oh--sorry for ranting. :lol:

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Re: Art or writing?

Post by Dr Legostar »

Joel Fagin wrote:Is the art or the writing more important for a webcomic?

yes.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

Post Reply