Coming up with titles?
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
- RemusShepherd
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2011
- Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
- Contact:
My title comes from a line in the script; something said about one of the main characters, that turns out to have several meanings in the story as a whole. I think that's a good starting point for titles, to look for one recurring theme and use it as a label.
I'm not so happy about my comic's title right now, though, only because it seems that there are too many webcomics whose names take the form of 'Adjective Noun'.
I'd suggest you avoid that template, if possible.
I'm not so happy about my comic's title right now, though, only because it seems that there are too many webcomics whose names take the form of 'Adjective Noun'.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, which have really broadened the range of my search for a title. My feedback thus far on the actual strips has been mixed somehow*, so I will try that much harder with the title. The one I've been bouncing around sounds corny but I'm hopeful something better'll come up if I keep at it.
Also, I thought I read that Schultz originally titled it "Lil' People," which is just as dull as "Peanuts" is nonsensical IMO.
*I know why and that's fine, it's just who that surprised me.
Also, I thought I read that Schultz originally titled it "Lil' People," which is just as dull as "Peanuts" is nonsensical IMO.
*I know why and that's fine, it's just who that surprised me.
-
Perk_daddy
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:58 pm
- Location: Utah
- Contact:
- Fortunesfools
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:55 am
- Location: Canada
- Contact:
Ah, I've been glomp'ed!netpoet wrote: Hey!! I didn't know you were over here on these forums!*glomp*
Yeah, I do check out the forum, but I think I only average a comment every couple of weeks. It isn't often I feel like I can add much to the conversation already in progress--but it is fun to watch people so passionate about these topics and how the discussions evolve between them.
- Garneta
- Holding Out for a Hero
- Posts: 6518
- Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:14 pm
- Location: Fraggle Rock
- Contact:
The title took me longer to come up with than the main storyline and all the characters combined. I wanted to portray that the story had something to do with two times that were completely different...so I went through title after title trying to come up with something. I think I finally settled on "Distant Eras" just because I was sick of thinking about it. I still kinda wish I could've found something better, mainly because when people in real life ask what my comic's called, I don't like telling them because the word "Era" is kinda weird to pronounce, and I'm not quite sure I get it right every time. 
- Legendary
- Cartoon Henceman
- Posts: 1071
- Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:30 pm
- Location: I are serious member. This are serious post.
I had the first ten comics scripted out before I came up with the title.
The title came out of desperation, when I was registering at Comic Genesis. I stood there for ten minutes until I saw my Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition game and thought, "Eh, what the hell? I'll name it Legendary."
I still hate it, and I still can't think of anything better.
The title came out of desperation, when I was registering at Comic Genesis. I stood there for ten minutes until I saw my Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition game and thought, "Eh, what the hell? I'll name it Legendary."
I still hate it, and I still can't think of anything better.
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
- The Mortician
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1705
- Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:59 pm
- Contact:
The Mortician wrote:No idea why my comic's name has "A.D.A.M." as an acronym anymore. I forgot what it means.
- ForumWhen I was done with the final version of Elvenbaath, it didn't have a name, just the old working title, Invocation. The new story had nothing to do with Invocations of any epical kind, so it needed a new name. I noted a lot of the story took place in or around a town, so I needed a name.
It just so happened I was listening to Nightwish - Tales of the Elvenpath. The mp3 I had stolen at the time, considering they didn't SELL nightwish cd's around here yet, was titled "Tales of the Elvenpaath". I flipped the p.
As for Knights of Vesteria....well, the original storys name was "Knights of the Corn"....and I really couldn't put a whole lot of effort into a comic titled that, so net and I tinkered with it, and he came up with that. WIN.
My third project was inspired while dealing with personal troubles. The name...I'll keep that to me, in case some asshole decides to steal it. <3
It just so happened I was listening to Nightwish - Tales of the Elvenpath. The mp3 I had stolen at the time, considering they didn't SELL nightwish cd's around here yet, was titled "Tales of the Elvenpaath". I flipped the p.
As for Knights of Vesteria....well, the original storys name was "Knights of the Corn"....and I really couldn't put a whole lot of effort into a comic titled that, so net and I tinkered with it, and he came up with that. WIN.
My third project was inspired while dealing with personal troubles. The name...I'll keep that to me, in case some asshole decides to steal it. <3
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
dreams. And I have had instances where I woke up with an idea, said it outloud, and fell back to sleep.TRI wrote:How do you know you're really the one coming up with them and that no one is sneaking into your bedroom at night and leaving them on the bedside table?Big Mac wrote:I come up with them while I am ... sleeping....
The River of Time: A Chrono Trigger Fanfic by me. Please read[/URL]Caboose: Don;t leave me with the horrible Doctor.
Doctor: Oh shut up Caboose
- LibertyCabbage
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 4667
- Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
- Location: bat country
- Contact:
Alcohol mein friend. That is where I got that nickname.
When It comes to titles, I usually try and have some common theme (well I am sure everyone does) or try to referance it once.
When It comes to titles, I usually try and have some common theme (well I am sure everyone does) or try to referance it once.
The River of Time: A Chrono Trigger Fanfic by me. Please read[/URL]Caboose: Don;t leave me with the horrible Doctor.
Doctor: Oh shut up Caboose
- Dark Spider
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 165
- Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:26 am
- Contact:
My comic's title was originally supposed to be "Nieces Pieces", but it ended up being the title of a fairly popular song by an obscure band (Google is your friend). So to avoid future litigation, I had to come up with something different. My next choice was "Niece Web" but I really wasn't happy with it, so I decided to keep on thinking of one. After awhile I simply gave up and stuck with Niece Web. I still haven't thought of anything better.
I actually got a few complaints about the title of the comic. The most common was that it was simply weird or too awkward. I can relate to the complaints because I initially thought so too. But if you REALLY think about it, the title fits. The main characters of the comic is Dark Spider and his nieces. Spiders are known for their webs. So put two and two together and you have Niece Web.
Titles are a pain...
I actually got a few complaints about the title of the comic. The most common was that it was simply weird or too awkward. I can relate to the complaints because I initially thought so too. But if you REALLY think about it, the title fits. The main characters of the comic is Dark Spider and his nieces. Spiders are known for their webs. So put two and two together and you have Niece Web.
Titles are a pain...
I have things to say and secrets so painful I just want to explode sometimes. Also, some bastard keeps stealing my shit, so if I just keep it to me, it'll never get stolen!!
...wait, that makes no sense.
Okay, let's try this one! "Coming Soon."
...wait, that makes no sense.
Okay, let's try this one! "Coming Soon."
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
- Ti-Phil
- Héro de Dessin Animé
- Posts: 1928
- Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: Ste-Julienne
- Contact:
I...am not sure how I came up with my title. If I remember it was because the original version had many parts, and it french it can mean : "part". So it was "Premier volet" (first part), "second volet" (second part) and so on... with time it came to only be called : Le Volet and I didn't bother to translate Volet in english.
The Volet
What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?
"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter
What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?
"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter
- Doublemint
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 56
- Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:19 pm
- Location: Iowa City, Iowa
- Contact:
I don't quite remember how I came up with my comic's title (The Best and the Brightest), but it was fairly early on when I did. As for why it is what it is, I think it had something to the way an old high school teacher of mine would humor/mock my class before we'd take a test.
In the several months before its launch, I was constantly considering changing the title to something else. "Flyover Country" was the prime candidate. But while I was worried "TBatB" was too long a name I was more concerned that "Flyover Country" would sound dated in a few years. I couldn't think up a better name and by then I had grown rather attached to "TBatB", so I kept it.
In the several months before its launch, I was constantly considering changing the title to something else. "Flyover Country" was the prime candidate. But while I was worried "TBatB" was too long a name I was more concerned that "Flyover Country" would sound dated in a few years. I couldn't think up a better name and by then I had grown rather attached to "TBatB", so I kept it.











