To Cameo or not to Cameo...

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2011
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
Contact:

Post by RemusShepherd »

The Neko wrote:I'm likely in the minority here, but I'm against cameos on the basis that most people can't execute them decently. They often are so full of winks and nudges that it becomes a desperate cry for attention and acceptance than being an allusion or an homage. It gets really bad when they make the gag hinge entirely upon knowledge of the person or their work.
This isn't a gag. :) One of the root concepts in my story is that ideas wage war with one another for control of humanity. I need fictional characters fighting to the death in the background while my main characters fight it out in the foreground. I'd use Mickey Mouse and Freddy Krueger and their ilk if I could. :)

This is a serious part of the story, so even if I could put humor content in this page I'd avoid doing so.

Um...if anyone didn't realize that your characters would be locked in combat with someone else, you're certainly welcome to back out now.

Kat North, your character page is broken -- gives me a 404. Just letting ya know.

Jessica, that deviantart image won't load for me. I tracked down Vyolette on your (well-hidden) cast page, though. :)

Shishio, how do you feel about wearing your Cthulhu rapist disguise?

Some of the rest of you...I dearly want to use everyone, but some people have characters that are just too darn human. :)
Image

User avatar
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
Posts: 3748
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: not-France

Post by Keffria »

The Neko wrote:Well, crowd-scenes can be innocent, but it really can jeopardize the comic universe if you're not careful. If you have a comic that takes place in a realistic world, including cartoon animals is a bad idea and changes the rules of that universe.
Well, yeah, that's a given -- that's why you use stuffed animals or posters or whatever. Destroying continuity like that is so incredibly stupid, it didn't even cross my mind that someone might do it. :P

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

Keffria wrote:
The Neko wrote:Well, crowd-scenes can be innocent, but it really can jeopardize the comic universe if you're not careful. If you have a comic that takes place in a realistic world, including cartoon animals is a bad idea and changes the rules of that universe.
Well, yeah, that's a given -- that's why you use stuffed animals or posters or whatever. Destroying continuity like that is so incredibly stupid, it didn't even cross my mind that someone might do it. :P
Never give people too much credit.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2011
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
Contact:

Post by RemusShepherd »

If I haven't already destroyed continuity with my current chapter, nothing is going to do that for me. :) I think I've established that in this chapter just about anything can happen.

And hey -- maybe my readers are hating it. I'll ask them when it's done.
Image

User avatar
JessicaRaven
CTRL+C CTRL+V Master
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:43 pm
Contact:

Post by JessicaRaven »

RemusShepherd wrote: Jessica, that deviantart image won't load for me. I tracked down Vyolette on your (well-hidden) cast page, though. :)

more like needs serious updating cast page, I'm guessing you found the old one that I had at hostultra (Drunkduck wouldnt let you have extra pages like cast pages or whatever) but yeah that should work :P (and no I dont mind her being in a battle, she's a fighter in my comic as well)
" 'this is something I will not allow to go unpunished'? what is that, anime cliche quote #273?" -Soricha Rain

http://triquetracats.comicgenesis.com

User avatar
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE
Posts: 4844
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Yes, let us check!
Contact:

Post by K-Dawg »

ah cameos, something I know not of.
Image

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey

User avatar
The Mortician
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1705
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:59 pm
Contact:

Post by The Mortician »

Hogan rolls around in his grave upon the mere mention of cameos.

Wait... Hogan isn't dead

User avatar
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Fraggle Rock
Contact:

Post by Garneta »

RemusShepherd wrote: Kat North, your character page is broken -- gives me a 404. Just letting ya know.
Thanks, but the broken link is entirely my fault...I've been trying to get the whole site up and running by strip 100, and that's the only page I haven't gotten to yet.

Oh, and I'd let you use my avatar, but since she's already a copyrighted character from somewhere else, it's probably not my permission you'd need...
Image
Image Image Image

User avatar
Rock_dash
NOTHING
Posts: 2363
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:37 am

Post by Rock_dash »

If you want to throw a catgirl in there, Korina's at your disposal. I had some pretty gnarly non-human characters planned to appear much later, but we never even did character designs for them, unfortunatly.
Image

User avatar
VinnieD
Regular Poster
Posts: 795
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:01 am
Contact:

Post by VinnieD »

Almost none of my characters are human. You're welcome to pick one or more of my bunnies for a cameo.

User avatar
Glarryg
Regular Poster
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:27 pm
Contact:

Post by Glarryg »

Are you going to be crediting the appropriate creators? If so, then go nuts if you can find a non-human enough characters of mine.

Glarryg
http://www.squidninja.com - Dude. Buy a shirt. Seriously.

Reinder
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1691
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Reinder »

Feel free to take your pick from the many non-humans in Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan's extensive cast.

User avatar
Shishio
Regular Poster
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:31 pm
Location: Toronto-ish
Contact:

Post by Shishio »

RemusShepherd wrote:Shishio, how do you feel about wearing your Cthulhu rapist disguise?
You can draw me that way if you really want to, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I mean, you say one of the concepts in your story is that fictional characters battle for control of the universe. Maybe I'm wrong, but I take that to mean that ideas exist as real people in some plane, and behave like real people. Therefore, it would not be a good idea to have anyone doing anything out of character.

I would not wear a Cthulhu costume (I don't even own any costumes.) in mortal combat. To do so would be highly impractical and stupid.

And just to be anal, (Hey, I am an asshole.) unless anyone else that has responded does an autobiographical comic as well, I'm the most human character. Obviously, I don't look the way I'm drawn in my comic in real life, and my real name isn't Shishio, but other than that, it's all me.
Image
One-liners: Come for the laughs, stay for the abuse.

User avatar
Thereforeiam
Regular Poster
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 4:30 pm
Location: Canada, Eh?
Contact:

Post by Thereforeiam »

My favourite comic is so filled with BIG NAME copyright violations on a regular basis, I'm sure you'll be fine! I'd let any character I had copyright to appear in another comic, if only to feel all good about somebody knowing about them! I'm sure the owners of huge copyrighted characters aren't that desperate for love, but it never hurts.
Image

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

You can use ABOL and TESS if you like from Reasoned Cognition - they aren't human, and have cool photon based powers like lasers, and bright sparkly lights. And for some reason ABOL can electrocute things. :)

Yuri the slug can read minds. Q-CPU can.. er... compute.

Go hog wild!
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2011
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
Contact:

Post by RemusShepherd »

Glarryg wrote:Are you going to be crediting the appropriate creators? If so, then go nuts if you can find a non-human enough characters of mine.
Of course! Links for everyone.
Shishio wrote:You can draw me that way if you really want to, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I mean, you say one of the concepts in your story is that fictional characters battle for control of the universe. Maybe I'm wrong, but I take that to mean that ideas exist as real people in some plane, and behave like real people. Therefore, it would not be a good idea to have anyone doing anything out of character.
Control of humanity, and on our plane, but other than that you're right. :)
Image

User avatar
Dracomax
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1145
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: in a defective ficional universe
Contact:

Post by Dracomax »

you could use my giant cockroach if you wanted.

Not like you can hurt him. :-?
Actually, any charactor you want is fine. I don't really claim copyright on Ra, for instance, as he is an ancient egyptian god...
ImageImageImage
You and TRI are the crazy mad ones.~Cope
Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a day; set a man on fire, keep him warm for life.~unknown

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

K-Dawg wrote:ah cameos, something I know not of.
Liar!

User avatar
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3269
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:10 am
Location: I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Contact:

Post by Laemkral »

Sadly, my own comic is just way too grounded in reality to be suitable for this. The closest I have to a non-human character is a comic of me yelling at my alarm clock.
Avatar courtesy of Fading Aura.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.

User avatar
Robin Pierce
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:48 am
Location: Should we check the internet? :S
Contact:

Re: To Cameo or not to Cameo...

Post by Robin Pierce »

Cookie wrote:
RemusShepherd wrote:maybe the Doppies, or their pet
I give you my 50.1%* permission to use the Doppies (or the Thing) if you wanna, now you just need Robin's... sure she'd be cool with it though. :D

*What? I have a bigger ego...
Yep. I'm cool with it.
Image Image Image
Commissions currently at Sale Prices, for details click third link

Post Reply