Political Compass

The forum for Ghastly's Ghastly Comic. NSFW
Forum rules
- Consider all threads NSFW
- Inlined legal images allowed
- No links to illegal content (CG-wide rule)
User avatar
Xero
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2175
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:22 pm
Location: BC
Contact:

Post by Xero »

WangyJohn wrote:
Xero wrote:how the fuck am I like the most conservative one here?
The way Finland is the most liberal and least corrupted country in EU.

Or rather, how a mouse is a giant along the ants.
http://www.nationstates.net/sa-rakai

I guess I'm on the conservitive side of liberable police state...
Platinumyo wrote:Can someone unban me?

User avatar
WangyJohn
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2819
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:47 am
Location: Fort Europa
Contact:

Post by WangyJohn »

Xero wrote:
WangyJohn wrote:
Xero wrote:how the fuck am I like the most conservative one here?
The way Finland is the most liberal and least corrupted country in EU.

Or rather, how a mouse is a giant along the ants.
http://www.nationstates.net/sa-rakai

I guess I'm on the conservitive side of liberable police state...
Wait...

Libertarian Police state where private enterprise is illegal and income tax is 100%?
The gospel preacher, the hostile teacher/The face of God with an impostor's features
This is the prophecy - the cult leader/The people's temple, the holy ground, the war compound
Four-pound to rifles, disciples, the holy idles/Supreme truth, the cult leader with the green tooth
The multi-millionaire with a stare that can freeze troops/I program people to kill
The motiviational speaker, my words cause people to feel/It's mind control, let the cult leader guide your soul
Open up your eyes to the lies he told/The general, the chief, I be the political pioneer
The cult leader, you can believe in me, I am here/Bless the children, take you under my wing, shelter
Helter Skelter, this is it, you can't kill me I'll exist forever. Cult Leader!

User avatar
Xero
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2175
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:22 pm
Location: BC
Contact:

Post by Xero »

WangyJohn wrote:
Xero wrote:
WangyJohn wrote: The way Finland is the most liberal and least corrupted country in EU.

Or rather, how a mouse is a giant along the ants.
http://www.nationstates.net/sa-rakai

I guess I'm on the conservitive side of liberable police state...
Wait...

Libertarian Police state where private enterprise is illegal and income tax is 100%?

you work for the betterment of everyone including yourself
what can I say I'm a tyrant, nao to find some spice and sandtrout...
Platinumyo wrote:Can someone unban me?

User avatar
Ce6
Regular Poster
Posts: 662
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:27 pm
Location: two blocks from the ocean
Contact:

Post by Ce6 »

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.41


Once again, I'm doing my part not to deviate in any obvious manner from the group average.
Life is what you make of it. You only get one shot, do with it what you can to make it the best.
Rants, raves, and just about anything else I feel like sharing on no particular topic whatsoever.
"The world...it's...it's full of stupid." -JB
"I'm going to the special hell." - Ghastly

User avatar
Vedius Pollio
Regular Poster
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:54 am
Location: Melboure, Australia

Post by Vedius Pollio »

Authoritarian: +2.00
Economic: -1.38

That's worrying.
"Leopards invade the temple and drink the wine from the chalices; this happens suddenly; in the end it was forseen that this would happen and it is incorporated into the liturgy."
-Kafka-

User avatar
Boring 7
Regular Poster
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:23 am
Location: Texas

Post by Boring 7 »

"Abstract art that doesn't represent anything shouldn't be considered art at all."
Non-pretty art is not art. And when did we change from the "politics" to the "amatuer art critic" test?

"A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system."
Japan can attest this is an objective falsehood.

"In a civilised society, one must always have people above to be obeyed and people below to be commanded."
"Must" or "will anyway"?

"All authority should be questioned."
"...By people who aren't stupid."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.31
---
*whack* "Whee!" *whack* "Whee!"
"What in the world?"
"I sure love beating this dead horse!"

User avatar
WangyJohn
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2819
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:47 am
Location: Fort Europa
Contact:

Post by WangyJohn »

boring 7 wrote:"Abstract art that doesn't represent anything shouldn't be considered art at all."
Non-pretty art is not art. And when did we change from the "politics" to the "amatuer art critic" test?
It's been explained; abstract art is often held at a low regard by conservatice-minded and authoritarian people.

For example, Hitler was a sworn enemy of surrealism (and jews, but that's an other story), and whilst the Russian Revolution welcomed abstract art as a media suring the revolution, after the soviet union was established, Socialist Realism came the only form of art.
The gospel preacher, the hostile teacher/The face of God with an impostor's features
This is the prophecy - the cult leader/The people's temple, the holy ground, the war compound
Four-pound to rifles, disciples, the holy idles/Supreme truth, the cult leader with the green tooth
The multi-millionaire with a stare that can freeze troops/I program people to kill
The motiviational speaker, my words cause people to feel/It's mind control, let the cult leader guide your soul
Open up your eyes to the lies he told/The general, the chief, I be the political pioneer
The cult leader, you can believe in me, I am here/Bless the children, take you under my wing, shelter
Helter Skelter, this is it, you can't kill me I'll exist forever. Cult Leader!

User avatar
Lowky
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1346
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Xiangfan, CN

Post by Lowky »

Vedius Pollio wrote:Authoritarian: +2.00
Economic: -1.38

That's worrying.
We got us a right wing wacko here :wink:
nik said @ 6:45pm on 2nd Oct [Score:1 Funny] - moderate/reply
If she's not got an octopus in her cunt, she's not really Japanese.

Hope this helps.

User avatar
Lowky
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1346
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Xiangfan, CN

Post by Lowky »

WangyJohn wrote:
boring 7 wrote:"Abstract art that doesn't represent anything shouldn't be considered art at all."
Non-pretty art is not art. And when did we change from the "politics" to the "amatuer art critic" test?
It's been explained; abstract art is often held at a low regard by conservatice-minded and authoritarian people.

For example, Hitler was a sworn enemy of surrealism (and jews, but that's an other story), and whilst the Russian Revolution welcomed abstract art as a media suring the revolution, after the soviet union was established, Socialist Realism came the only form of art.
That's probably because it was a Jewish art critic who told the world how much Hitler sucked as an artist. :wink:

Hitler's Art

*edited to include a link to show how much Hitler's art sucked, in particular #15*
nik said @ 6:45pm on 2nd Oct [Score:1 Funny] - moderate/reply
If she's not got an octopus in her cunt, she's not really Japanese.

Hope this helps.

User avatar
Toawa
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1069
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:05 pm
Location: Everywhere. Kinda...
Contact:

Post by Toawa »

Xero wrote:how the fuck am I like the most conservative one here?
Don't worry, you're not anymore.

Economy: 6.12
Social: -2

Remarkable close to Friedman's point, as they have it; probably why I like the guy so much.

But I do agree that the questions have biases; some of them are worded in such a way as to trigger a "social desirability" bias. I really wish "Mu" was one of the available answers.

..

That's Milton Friedman; I keep forgetting there are about 4 Friedman's...
Last edited by Toawa on Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toawa, the Rogue Auditor.
(Don't ask how I did it; the others will be ticked if they realize I'm not at their stupid meetings.)
Interdimensional Researcher, Builder, and Trader Extraordinaire

User avatar
Boring 7
Regular Poster
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:23 am
Location: Texas

Post by Boring 7 »

I've seen worse.

More specifically, I've seen worse featured as great art with a "great art" price tag.
---
*whack* "Whee!" *whack* "Whee!"
"What in the world?"
"I sure love beating this dead horse!"

User avatar
Toawa
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1069
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:05 pm
Location: Everywhere. Kinda...
Contact:

Post by Toawa »

WangyJohn wrote:It's been explained; abstract art is often held at a low regard by conservatice-minded and authoritarian people.
As the board's token conservative, let me take this opportunity to say that it's not abstract art that I hold in low regard, it's the funding of abstract art (and for that matter, any art, but particularly "abstract" art because it has the most pretenders) by the State which I hold in low regard. If the artists can sell their art to people willing to buy it, more power to them. (I probably wouldn't, but that's just my taste in art.) If the artist's only means of selling his art is because the government makes people buy it (see Naples, FL), then he should probably find a new line of work, or at least a side job.
Toawa, the Rogue Auditor.
(Don't ask how I did it; the others will be ticked if they realize I'm not at their stupid meetings.)
Interdimensional Researcher, Builder, and Trader Extraordinaire

User avatar
Jrm
Regular Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: i live by the river

Post by Jrm »

Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.79

User avatar
Xero
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2175
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:22 pm
Location: BC
Contact:

Post by Xero »

Toawa wrote:
Xero wrote:how the fuck am I like the most conservative one here?
Don't worry, you're not anymore.

Economy: 6.12
Social: -2

Remarkable close to Friedman's point, as they have it; probably why I like the guy so much.

But I do agree that the questions have biases; some of them are worded in such a way as to trigger a "social desirability" bias. I really wish "Mu" was one of the available answers.

..

That's Milton Friedman; I keep forgetting there are about 4 Friedman's...
you live!
Platinumyo wrote:Can someone unban me?

User avatar
WangyJohn
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2819
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:47 am
Location: Fort Europa
Contact:

Post by WangyJohn »

Lowky wrote:
Vedius Pollio wrote:Authoritarian: +2.00
Economic: -1.38

That's worrying.
We got us a right wing wacko here :wink:
Look closer, he's an authoritarian lefite. IE: A Stalinist!

Ans Toawa, you're not a conservative, you're a libertarian. You say you oppose public funding of abstract art, well, isn't it characteristic for a libertarian to oppose of public funding of just about everything (that doesn't shoot stuff).
The gospel preacher, the hostile teacher/The face of God with an impostor's features
This is the prophecy - the cult leader/The people's temple, the holy ground, the war compound
Four-pound to rifles, disciples, the holy idles/Supreme truth, the cult leader with the green tooth
The multi-millionaire with a stare that can freeze troops/I program people to kill
The motiviational speaker, my words cause people to feel/It's mind control, let the cult leader guide your soul
Open up your eyes to the lies he told/The general, the chief, I be the political pioneer
The cult leader, you can believe in me, I am here/Bless the children, take you under my wing, shelter
Helter Skelter, this is it, you can't kill me I'll exist forever. Cult Leader!

User avatar
Error of Logic
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1512
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:48 am

Post by Error of Logic »

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.31

So what does that mean again, apart from my being near the 'Gandhi' point ...? (tired)
Non-pervert. (Title bestowed by ManaUser.)

Deviating from the norm on a forum of the deviant? What does that make me?

Please keep your rhinoceros grey.

webcomic

User avatar
Toawa
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1069
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:05 pm
Location: Everywhere. Kinda...
Contact:

Post by Toawa »

WangyJohn wrote:Ans Toawa, you're not a conservative, you're a libertarian. You say you oppose public funding of abstract art, well, isn't it characteristic for a libertarian to oppose of public funding of just about everything (that doesn't shoot stuff).
Compared to the general population on this board, I am. ;)

But yes, I'm of the school that doesn't support funding because it's not the government's purpose. This is as opposed to the school that doesn't support funding because the funding tends to go to art that they find offensive. It's a subtle but important difference.

And yes, I do support the funding of stuff that shoots other stuff because that's defense, which is the government's purpose. (This actually puts me under a bit of suspicion in the eyes of certain libertarian/anarcho-capitalist wings...) And yes, I do live. I just haven't read the board in the last several days.
Toawa, the Rogue Auditor.
(Don't ask how I did it; the others will be ticked if they realize I'm not at their stupid meetings.)
Interdimensional Researcher, Builder, and Trader Extraordinaire

User avatar
Xero
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2175
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:22 pm
Location: BC
Contact:

Post by Xero »

Toawa wrote: And yes, I do live. I just haven't read the board in the last several days.
I know you missed a good debate
hence my comment
-pat pat-
Platinumyo wrote:Can someone unban me?

User avatar
Fnyunj
Regular Poster
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:44 pm

Post by Fnyunj »

Toawa wrote:...As the board's token conservative, let me take this opportunity to say that it's not abstract art that I hold in low regard, it's the funding of abstract art . . . If the artists can sell their art to people willing to buy it, more power to them. . . ..
Gosh, then I guess you deserve to live in a world where The Market decides what is good and what is not good art.

Despite the NEA's many well-publicized abuses*, overall, more good than harm has been done for our nation by this program. A measurable amount of taxable economic activity was generated from this subsidized industry. Is it the government's job? Ask yourself what ". . . to promote the general welfare. . ." could have possibly meant.
* wrote:(including the ill-advised religious blasphemies; ignore whether or not an artist should have a right to do this (ie. offend people; offend religions; offend very large, old, well-connected, well-funded, politically powerful, paranoid groups), whether or not the government should pay for it - was it a constructive endeavor, overall, considering the political (and actual) damage that it did to NEA? Answer: No. Hypothetical: Had I been the grant sponsor, I would have told Maplethorpe, and the urine crucifix guy, and the elephant-poo guy, to go sit down and take a sabbatical, and do a long, scholarly paper on what such art might mean; prior to actually applying for any govt. funding again. But that's just me.)
My bottom line on the NEA: it was poorly managed, but fundamentally a good idea. They really lost sight of their mission at some point - they got so taken up by the notion that since The Market only allows a certain very narrow range of art to survive (and it is not necessarily in the best interest of our Nation to limit our artists to only Marketable-art) - that the NEA should fund ALL art regardless of other qualities (or lack) of merit. - and they so bought into this idea, that they forgot about political realities, and basic survival of the endowment. Some art has to perish - and the notion that that may be "great art" - strikes fear into the heart of the grant sponsors and review boards, but that fear arises from incompetence, and elitist arrogance. People have been frustrated by religious oppression for centuries. That doesn't make a crucifix in a jar of urine "great art". The only thing that art accomplishes is it gives people like Toaoaowa a single example to use to abolish the funding of tens of thousands of other pieces of actual great art, that enriches all of our lives, and helps prevent our nation from slipping into what seems to be an inevitable future of commercial blandness.

Lulujayne
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2480
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:56 am

Post by Lulujayne »

Seeing as we're all basically falling around the same area of the graph, I conclude that Gandhi and Mother Theresa both secretly dreamed of tentacle rape.
I shall keep myself in oysters for the rest of the week, thank you very much.

Post Reply