now for something completely different.

now for something completely different.

Postby Fluffdrgn on Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:46 am

Morning,

we all dislike it when telemarketers call our house, yes?
and with that alone, I leave you with the following link:

http://howtoprankatelemarketer.ytmnd.com/

enjoy =^_^;=
carpe filum - Seize the thread
"no worries =^_^="
Fluffdrgn

Postby Allan_ecker on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:04 am

Okay THAT. Was just special. 8-)
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

"Death and taxes are unsolved engineering problems."
--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Postby Shurhaian on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:11 am

Has anyone who comes up with things like this actually been in a position where they had no choice but to BE a telemarketer?

I wonder.

Seriously, folks, the majority of people doing that job are not doing it to annoy you. They're not even doing it to sell you something. They're doing it because they need a paycheck, just like anyone else.

<i>Please</i> consider that before being too abusive to these people. It's the company that tells them to make calls that needs to be targeted - not the rep.

EDIT: And taking up tons of their time just gets them in trouble, leaving the company completely undeterred.
Shurhaian
Regular Poster

Postby Allan_ecker on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:25 am

I have sympathy, I really do, but I like to think this incident only amounted to a good laugh with Quality Assurance in the end.
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

"Death and taxes are unsolved engineering problems."
--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Postby Shurhaian on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:37 am

If it were isolated, perhaps... Depends on how long the call is expected to be; take too long on it, and supervisors will start wandering over.

Seriously, if you ask them what firm they work for(the call center, not the client), and then to place you on that firm's do not call list, you'll be bothered by them a fair bit less in the future. :D

Granted, something like this is better than blowing an air horn into the phone. :D
Shurhaian
Regular Poster

Postby Aki_no_kaze on Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:17 am

Shurhaian wrote:Seriously, if you ask them what firm they work for(the call center, not the client), and then to place you on that firm's do not call list, you'll be bothered by them a fair bit less in the future. :D

um ya... no. Im on about a dozen do not call lists, and every time I need to remind them to check that list before they call me again... and every time they appolgise profusely, swear it will never happen again, and I hear from them in about a week and a half trying to get me to change my long distance provider.
Aki_no_kaze
Regular Poster

Postby Shurhaian on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:52 pm

Then you're within your rights to pursue legal action.

Addendum: I used to be getting calls nigh constantly from associates of my credit card company, wanting to offer this or that additional service. Once I told them to take me off of their lists, I haven't received a call since - though the card is still live. So it's not completely ineffective.

Also, in the US, if you place yourself on the national DNC registry, the penalty for violating that can get pretty steep, pretty fast. It takes time to go into effect, but they DO have to comply.
Shurhaian
Regular Poster

Postby Aki_no_kaze on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:16 pm

American companies... Canadian citizen :(
Aki_no_kaze
Regular Poster

Postby Shurhaian on Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:28 pm

Canadian telemarketing firms still have penalties for failing to comply with DNC orders, even though there isn't a national registry.
Shurhaian
Regular Poster

Postby Aki_no_kaze on Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:06 am

no, it's american companies calling a canadian. Because I dont live in the states I cant get on your national DNC list, and companies never check their local lists
Aki_no_kaze
Regular Poster

Postby Shurhaian on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:06 am

I'm Canadian myself. I happen to know that Canada still expects telemarketing firms to comply with DNC requests, although, as I <i>did</i> acknowledge above, thank you very much, we don't have a national registry. Read the posts more thoroughly before attempting rebuttal; the first point of mine was admittedly vague(that I meant "firms telemarketing TO Canada", not from it), but the latter half should've been plain.

Things to bear in mind are twofold: On the downside, it may take some time for the requests to fully propagate(and I don't doubt that failure to remedy this is deliberate; on the upside, if you keep notes on when you're contacted, you might be able to issue a complaint to a relevant authority and have THEM deal with it from there(it's been a while since I had access to industry documents so I'm not sure on the details).
Shurhaian
Regular Poster

Postby Aki_no_kaze on Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:58 am

Shurhaian, I can only speek from personal experiance.... in a year and a half at this number I have been recalled by over a dozen firms after requesting to be put on their DNC. I have been flat out told by every single one of them that I can not be put on the american national DNC because I am not residing in the US.

If it was a month, or two, i could agree that it was just taking time to work thru the system... but two of the fims have had 18 months to "work it through" and I still get called on a fairly regular basis.
Aki_no_kaze
Regular Poster

Postby Shurhaian on Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:59 pm

WHY do you keep bringing up the American DNC?
Shurhaian
Regular Poster

Postby Aki_no_kaze on Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:30 pm

cause it's only american companies who keep calling, the Candian ones stop after the first request. I can only assume that the american companies dont check local lists and just the national DNC
Aki_no_kaze
Regular Poster

Return to Umlaut House