150 Comics

Is UH2 Better or Worse than Umlaut House?

Much Better
18%
Somewhat Better
64%
About the same
18%
Somewhat Worse
No votes
Much Worse
No votes

Total votes : 11

150 Comics

Postby Allan_ecker on Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:45 pm

So UH2 is now 150 comics deep (or it will be when tomorrow's comic popps up), long enough to really say it's got some history in its own right.

How is it? Got comments on the artwork, writing, framing, composition, etcetera?

YES I KNOW I'VE DONE SOME DRAMAQUEENING OVER PUBLIC OPINION OF THIS COMIC BUT MY THERAPIST SAYS I'M BETTER NOW

:shifty:

But honestly I'm interested in some detailed feedback because I know I've flubbed some introductions, exchanges and dynamics and in a lot of places, I may *not* know what I've done wrong because I'm too close to the subject.

But for the reccord, the big ones I already know about:
**Alex came across as a bit more Hulk-Smash-esque than originally intended.
**Rhonda's relationship with Pierce could have benefitted from a few early moments showing them getting along better rather than basically starting them off with two crises right after one another.
**High School politics are a patchwork of the 1990's and 2040's due to the author's own social context.
**Things are still a little disjointed between "Adventure" sequences and "Slice of Live" sequences.
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

"Death and taxes are unsolved engineering problems."
--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Postby Catsby on Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:53 pm

The new characters certainly "do more" for me, and I'm glad that the list of active characters seems to have gone down somewhat as of late - I often have to go to the forum to identify a character in today's strip already!

I'll give extra points to UH2 for Pierce and Alex's sake too, especially because their relationship is a lot easier to identify with than bodyswitching mad scientists and the like.

Mmm, Piercey!

- Der Catsby

~ ~ ~

Common identification mistakes lately:
Jack Fusselton/Volaire
Pierce/Saundra (YES!)
And http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com/d/20060829.html makes my brain crawl out and scratch my head.
Eek, it's the moocows!
Catsby

Postby GreatLimmick on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:54 am

I don't think it's sufficiently similar to be comparable. I mean, UH was a marginally surrealistic gag-a-day strip, more or less, while UH2 is mostly a sci-fi high school sit-com.
GreatLimmick
Regular Poster

Postby Tetramorpheus on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:18 am

I like both about equally, though for different reasons... they each keep me coming back for more, but with UH the hook was the college surreality (which I oddly find more applicable to my life than the High School setting...) where as UH2 its the comedic HS sitcom, but with the touch of drama. I love all the characters, pretty much without exception. I especially like the multiple storylines in UH2, and am curious how they're going to effect each other...
Tetramorpheus
Regular Poster

Postby Cyril_Dran on Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:49 am

Same as everyone else, except my mind puts a different spin on things. You know, because I'm only half as stark raving mad as the rest of you. Well, sometimes. A little. ... Hell, who the heck am I kidding?

But that's neither here nor there. UH2 is, in and of itself, a totally different beast than UH1, and looking at the two next to each other, and forcing nostalgia aside, UH2 is a higher quality piece of work than UH1. The guesswork in "where is this strip going" is gone, and the plots are planned out somewhat in advance, and it's noticeable. There aren't any irrelevant throw away strips, or at least, significantly fewer, in UH2. UH2's art is also a good deal better, and that's simply experience and the fact that you're a better artist now, Allan. Also, the characters, personality wise, are more distinguishable.. Saundra, Rick, Volair, and Jake all shared the same base personality, namely, you, Allan. You've done a better job dissassociating yourself from some of the characters, so that they behave starkly differently from each other, as opposed to seeming like multiple facets of the same jewel (Since two sides of the same coin doesn't apply here.. oh, the pain of metaphors.)

Either way, they're both good pieces of work. Of course, this isn't an "experimental" comic like U0 was. You're relying on something that you know works, the basic idea and flavor of a strip that you've had success in the past with. And sometimes, that's the best thing to do, focus on what you know, then what you don't. In any event, keep up the good work, and I look forward to what the strip will bring in future times.
All fear the RP character from the completely private RP ^_^.
Current psuedonym/RP character count: 25
-Adding a touch of sanity, or insanity, where needed to balance the flow. .... Nah, I just like playing devil's advocate ^_^
Cyril_Dran
Regular Poster

Postby Aki_no_kaze on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:32 pm

I have to agree with Cyril_Dran, the two are really too different to compair directly.
Aki_no_kaze
Regular Poster

Postby E_voyager on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:26 pm

i can't pick i like them both too much.
the darkness is ever present even in the light.

the perversion doesn't stop just because the sun comes up

if i can make people think and consider their lives even for a moment each day then my life has just that much more meaning

one of the hardest skills i seek to master is the skill of knowing when to shut up
Check out the test to find out who you are!
E_voyager
Regular Poster

Postby Allan_ecker on Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:33 am

Catsby wrote:Common identification mistakes lately:
Jack Fusselton/Volaire
Pierce/Saundra (YES!)
And http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com/d/20060829.html makes my brain crawl out and scratch my head.

Jack and Volair are both team captains, too...
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

"Death and taxes are unsolved engineering problems."
--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Return to Umlaut House