Relationships?

Relationships?

Postby Tetramorpheus on Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:51 am

Hello, all... new poster here, longtime reader and forum lurker. I don't know how blaphsemous it is to start out a new topic as a first post, but I've had a question I've been wanting to ask for a while, and I just never got around to it because I fear it will be highly unpopular here...

Does anyone else have concerns over Pierce and Alex's relationship?

While I will admit they are a cute, naughty, etc. couple, I worry about Pierce's pliability in the relationship. Two major storylines have revolved around Alex making demands and Pierce doing whatever it is he desires: both the 'ultimatim' and the 'cheerleading' storylines. And while these have their explanations (best offer he's going to get for coming out, cheerleading in his blood, etc) something about it still feels off to me. They both have sex as their primary motivation (besides it 'being in his blood' the secondary motivation for cheerleading is that there might be reasons to have a cheerleading outfit).

This may be typical of High School relationships (I wouldn't know, I basically turned off all sexuality for those four years). But it still seems worrisome to me. Oddly, it seems to me that while there was more outright sex in Umlaut House One, here in UH2 sexual desire is much stronger in interpersonal relationships... again take that for granted given my own High School experience.

I suppose I'm also drawing on my own experience here... I've seen people like Pierce end up in emotional shambles far too many times in my life. But there are times reading their diologue that I come away slightly disturbed...

My apologies to anyone who wants to rip off my head over this...
Tetramorpheus
Regular Poster

Postby Cyril_Dran on Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:12 pm

Alex and Pierce connect on an intellectual level too. Keep in mind, that Pierce "came out" to Alex because he was swooning, not over Alex's form, but over a school assignment they were working on. While the physical attraction is funnier and easier to write, the intellectual side is there too. As well, Pierce does his share of making demands of Alex, even quoting "Now honey, we've worked on this..." in a recent comic (I'm too lazy to link my examples). So, while at a glance the relationship seems shallow, you have to realize that there are things that happen off panel, and for each cuddle they have ON panely, they might have a stimulation conversation off.
All fear the RP character from the completely private RP ^_^.
Current psuedonym/RP character count: 25
-Adding a touch of sanity, or insanity, where needed to balance the flow. .... Nah, I just like playing devil's advocate ^_^
Cyril_Dran
Regular Poster

Postby Tetramorpheus on Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:43 pm

A fair point, though if that is indeed the case I'd wish to see more of it. Probably just me being picky though. Like I said... it's likely a reaction to personal experience
Tetramorpheus
Regular Poster

Postby Allan_ecker on Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:44 pm

Actually, quatrodreamo, (cute nickname, huh? don't ya just hate it already?) pretty much all your points are really valid.

My emotional issues earlier (see various threads of me dramaqueening out) had primarily to do with people's reaction to Alex, because honestly I was writing a part of myself not everybody liked, and then taking it personally when they started casting pronouncements upon him. Because, you know, he's ME.

Pierce's pliability (evil giggle) is an issue, and he's working on it. I was intentionally expressing his growth in this comic, and we'll get back to that in later comics. In many ways, Pierce represents the unassertive noodle-being I was in high school, although I've yanked him out of the closet four years early and plan to have him get over himself a lot quicker than I did.

A lot more sexual need and a lot less activity. Huh, that sounds exactly like me in high school. XD If you look, you'll see that this is more or less intentional; everything's louder when you're a teenager. At least it was for me.

Basically, all of your analysis is right; there is a lot of potential trouble in the way a lot of my characters are dealing with their situations. This is... extremely intentional. :twisted:
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

"Death and taxes are unsolved engineering problems."
--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Postby Cyril_Dran on Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:57 pm

Aha. I stand thoroughly corrected. @_@.
All fear the RP character from the completely private RP ^_^.
Current psuedonym/RP character count: 25
-Adding a touch of sanity, or insanity, where needed to balance the flow. .... Nah, I just like playing devil's advocate ^_^
Cyril_Dran
Regular Poster

Postby Allan_ecker on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:13 pm

Cyril_Dran wrote:Aha. I stand thoroughly corrected. @_@.

Oh, no, you were right about there being an intellectual connection. It's just that the fact that Pierce is... pliable... isn't mollified much by that.
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tetramorpheus on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:26 pm

Sadly, the fact that ::dramatic pause:: pliable also could mean 'flexible, easy to stretch' brings dirty thoughts to mind, but that's already in relevant discussion on another forum.

I'd also ask if by problems you meant "possibly capable of scewing with (see below, sorry don't know how to hotlink) problems", but there's no way in Hell that question's being answered, at least not completely or honestly.

http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com/d/20060808.html
Tetramorpheus
Regular Poster

Postby Allan_ecker on Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:25 pm

Oh, well.. really...

BWA HA HA HAA AH AAAA HAAHH AHH AHH AHA HAH AHA HA HA HA HA HA HAAA!! HA HA AAHAAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!!

--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tetramorpheus on Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:06 pm

So THAT'S where Rick gets it...
Tetramorpheus
Regular Poster

Postby DetailBear on Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:06 pm

Tetramorpheus wrote:So THAT'S where Rick gets it...

The nut doesn't fall far from the tree. :wink:
HUGS = Huge, Unrestrained, Genial Squeezings.

A man’s accomplishments in life are the cumulative effect of his attention to detail. - John Foster Dulles
DetailBear
Regular Poster

Return to Umlaut House