Trans Day of Remembrance

Trans Day of Remembrance

Postby Aki_no_kaze on Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:27 am

Allan, and everyone elese... thank you :)
Aki_no_kaze
Regular Poster

Postby Aki_no_kaze on Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:20 am

just a quick post before I head off to get ready for work....

if you are looking for a bit more info then the site that was linked to from the main page, you can look here. There is a LOT more information (includes some information on female to male trans people) and it is a little more up to date.

or just ask me :)
Aki_no_kaze
Regular Poster

Postby Allan_ecker on Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:10 am

Heh, I had forgotten about our new rep from the T crowd; I saw the Rememberance Day project on http://pasteldefender.com/ and felt like I had to do something. Sure, it isn't as big a deal when a comic that already has a transsexual character does something like this as, say, a comic that doesn't, but this is ~way~ more up in the foreground than my heretofore oblique references to the fact that Peggy was born with male bits.

Nice link, too by the way.
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

"Death and taxes are unsolved engineering problems."
--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Postby Aki_no_kaze on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:29 am

comics that focus on the transgenderism of their main character can sometimes result in a "preaching to the choir" effect. When stuff like this is posted in non-trans strips it exposes a whole new group of people to information that they may not otherwise know exits.
Aki_no_kaze
Regular Poster

Postby Aki_no_kaze on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:56 am

and I have several other good links at home, but that one is called "The Monster" for good reason. It's big, it's accurate, it's modern, and if a person is only ever going to read one page on trans issues that is the one to read since it has nearly everything in one place.

I find that some trans info pages written by a trans person can get a "woe is us" feel to it, but Conway does a very good job of just puting the facts out there.
Aki_no_kaze
Regular Poster

Postby Candide on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:32 pm

allan_ecker wrote:Heh, I had forgotten about our new rep from the T crowd; I saw the Rememberance Day project on http://pasteldefender.com/ and felt like I had to do something.

Good Boy.

You get a cookie. :)
"The incredibly powerful and the incredibly stupid both have one thing in common: They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They try and alter the facts to fit their views.

Which can be awfully uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." -- Dr. Who
Candide
Regular Poster

Postby Shurhaian on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:05 pm

Well, to be fair to the parents, there is no way they could know, when their child is newborn or not yet born, that transsexuality would enter into it, any more than they could know what the child's aptitudes will be, is there?

That said... accepting that sort of change is, indeed, something all too few people are willing to do. Family or otherwise.

Sigh. Fast as the world changes these days, people still expect things to stay the same...
Shurhaian
Regular Poster

Postby Allan_ecker on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:29 pm

As I said. An honest mistake.

Without some yet unknown marvel of neuroscience they could not hope to know. But Peggy's parents, though I've only even *drawn* her father once, are two of the greatest heroes, really, of the whole damn comic because of how much they contributed to giving Peggy the inner strength that helped her, well, completely reinvent physics.

Plus, given the generation she's from, she's like, from the equivelant of NOW.

Awesome parents, let me tell ya.
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

"Death and taxes are unsolved engineering problems."
--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Return to Umlaut House