Multiple comics on one site? Is it Possible!?!?!?

The Gear is deprecated, use the Help forum or CG Wiki.

Has anyone thought wanting to do something like this?

yep
86%
nope
7%
I'm just being greedy, and should quit asking stupid questions.
7%

Total votes : 14

Multiple comics on one site? Is it Possible!?!?!?

Postby Smac Dogg on Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:04 pm

'yello all. I have a little site called Slackergraphics. The main idea behind the strip is I do it in different styles, mediums, etc., and though some comics repeat, It's my version of a "Variety Show". I want to have several strips on the same site.

Example: One of my regular strips, "Beer Nutz", revolving around the exploits of drunken talking squirrels, done in pencil, updated whenever.

On the same site, "Krazy Clip-Art Theatre", where I horribly abuse the my massive clip art library.

What I would like to do is have an index page as my main page, and each of the regular strips (three or four) having their own page in my site. Now comes the hard part--- is there anyway to still use Autokeen to update the different new strips 1. Without showing them on the other pages 2. More than one strip a day (i.e. a new Beer Nutz and KCATheatre on monday, each one appearing on its own page)

It's not going to break my heart (or surprise me) if I can't. The main reasons I wanted to see if I could was to have the new strips each have their own "frame" page. In other words, different background and graphics, design, etc., while still utilizing the power of Autokeen. I'm sure it would be easier to put them all on the same "new comic page", and then seperate out the archives, but I thought my idea fit nicely into the "Variety Show" theme.

Now the likelyhood of me uploading several strips in one day is low, barring the occasional all night drawing fits I find my self in every once in a while. But I thought, with PHP or PHP3, there might be some way to pull it off.

Any thoughts? Anyone? :-?
Smac Dogg

Postby McDuffies on Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:51 pm

Not as far as I know. What you can do with this system is:
1. Post more comics on one page naming them namea and nameb
2. Post different comics on various days of the week, like Dim Bulb Studios do for instance. But this messes up your archive, cause person reading through them using "next" button, has constantly to switch from one story to another.
3. Have one comic as main, update others manually, placing them into /image/ folder
4. Have more sites.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Joel Fagin on Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:09 pm

I've asked and aparently the answer is "no".

There are ways and means, though, way and means...

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Chibiartstudios on Tue May 11, 2004 11:21 pm

I do it. What you need is a main ks account to host everything. I use it as my "latest work" page. Then I have other accounts for other comics I do. Currently I run one (with no time for more) but I hope to add others eventually. You just have to make sure that each comic updates on a different day. Its complicated and a pain. But it can be done
Help me live my childhood dream of becoming the head of an evil corrupt corporate conglomorate:
Chibiartstudios
Regular Poster

Postby Deathbringer on Sat May 22, 2004 7:18 am

I remember ages ago eight (the maker of Road waffles), had another comic site hosted on http://www.roadwaffles.com, which worked independantly of the main archive, dunno if you can do this with keenspace ones though, cause they are "poverty spec" accounts (well you get what you pay for XD). I just host my various other stories and things on fortunecity, cause they dont get updated regularly (though my old comic Insanity please, was updated daily for nearly a year and that was 100% manual, it wasnt that much of a pain, except if people got to the end of the archive the "next" link was dead, but that was the only real bug XD)
I MAKE MANY COMICS / Some are on paper! / Used to have one on Keenspace too...
"The lettering in children's comics has grown larger and simpler, as have the kids" - Lew Stringer
Deathbringer
Regular Poster

Postby Yiff the Zombie Fox on Sun May 23, 2004 10:18 am

It can be done pretty easily but adds an extra few minutes to how long it takes to put up a new update. Ignore the autokeen next/previous function (remove it from your indextemplate.html and instead upload a .txt for each comic. In this .txt use html to create your own next/previous links and make it so that it only functions for that date. This can be used to keep storylines together as well, for a good example of how it works look at http://www.sexylosers.com/.

This will only really work well if you do different comics on different days, if you want to do all your comics updating daily then it won't work very well.
But then if you can draw several comics a day then you deserve to get two keenspace accounts.

I can write a step by step tutorial on how to work this if you can't figure it out from my description. If you want a tutorial then let me know.
Yiff the Zombie Fox

Return to Gear