Second Great Escape?

For sign-ups for genre-related dropdowns and to discuss and organise crossover events.
Malimar

Post by Malimar »

Hey, I've got a backlog that extends past New Years'. But I only update three times a week, with the other four times per week completely free for secondary things - the schedule being not the ultimate authority.
Thus - and this is kind of weird, but I've done it a couple times, and its a common technique in prose novels, but the segments are usually a little longer - I can alternate, one day for one storyline, the next day for the other. And so forth.

SuperJoe
Cartoon Hero

Post by SuperJoe »

Ha ha! You guys are crazy!
The unSnarkable J-Walkin'!

That guy
Cartoon Hero

Post by That guy »

Any new news on the second Great Escape thing?

It'd be cool to do - - but the discussion seems to have died off.

Carlin
...or Crossfire

Post by Carlin »

If this thing does happen I would like to offer my asisatnce. I dont know if I should actually make some of the comics as I kinda suck right now, but I would be more than willing to help organize and plan. And draw comics if no one would mind.

And I have some characters that would be of use. Picture hoards of sentient eggs. The eggs have mutated after an unknown amount of time in a malfunctioning fridge and now are able move freely. I plan to use them as something like an egg militia, or more like the storm troopers were for Star Wars. And as a plus they can be drawn in mass rather eaisily. They are extrememly flexible and expendable. The possibilities for their use is just about limitless. If anyone wants to use them for anything feel free.

Also I think the idea of hosting all the comics in one central place would a good idea. And perhaps it wouldn't have to fit in the main storyline of most comics. It could just be like an alternate reality thing. Our main characters could look on or join the fight from an alternate universe. This way we can also keep non-fourth wall breaching comics intact. It's just an alternate version breaking the fourth wall. This will also allow for more freedom in story ideas. Nothing will be permanent if you dont want it to. Hell, you could even multiple versions of the same character if you play with the dimensionall travel thing a bit. I have a character that could do just that if anyone would like to use him.

I will let you guys decide but that is just my two cents.
I am The Poster Formerly Known as Crossfire. Or PFKAC. ...has a certain ring to it, no?

DocBrown03
Regular Poster

Post by DocBrown03 »

Im so in.
Albert desperatly wants off the planet hes stranded on, that he would even dream about leavein reality as he knows it. Or perhaps some strang eportal opens up and he falls into it. However it goes. Al wants in.
World domination sounds fun. Heck, Alex did it.

Greenlightgo

Post by Greenlightgo »

i was just reading through all this, and first off, it sounds like an AWESOME idea. i'm totally in it if you're still accepting people to join the bunch

secondly, as far as organization goes, why don't you set a date, say beginning of september-ish, and require that all people serious about joining the 'great escape' sign up on some sort of list, state how many comics they plan to contribute, how much time they are willing to give to help the project, and what date they would be prepared to begin such an endeavor.

i like the idea of organizing it so that it happens kindof in a domino effect, rather than all at once. it would be fun to link from comic site to comic site following the characters through the different realms, but i think having one solid site which holds all the strips, with links to each specific site, is also a great idea. i bet the mods on keenspace would enjoy helping.

you'll need to get one person who is absolutely positively in charge. others can help the 'in charge' person, but it gets really difficult organizing things when no single person (or possibly two people) takes the reins...

as far as the drawing style goes, I, for one, would prefer to create images for the characters who enter my strips in my own wacky format (i use a very hack and slash pixelized format, and wouldnt want to throw in all kinds of snazzy characters to make my own pathetic art look worse). and when my characters would enter the next person's comic, they can re-create my characters however they see fit to work into their graphics scheme.

i love the idea of a counter-cartoonist revolution, and i'd love to join in, help out anyway i can

i hope this goes somewhere, because i would love making comics for it, even if it's just a handful of them.

i'll also offer up my html/coding services for creating the website which coordinates all the strips

:wink:

][amy][

K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

Post by K-Dawg »

Like reinder I also participated in the first great escape. It takes a lot of work, it's not something that can be organized so quickly. This would take some serious planning and careful calculations.

Also if anyone wants I still have my two great escape comics if you want to have an idea of what to do.

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey

Cortland
Cartoon Hero

Crisis!

Post by Cortland »

Hey, I'm all in, but only if we get to call it the Crisis of Infinite Crossovers! :D
Image Image

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

There are several issues that would stop me from joining, if we'd deal with those, I'd be in:

1. Size of buffer. With me, it goes up to 1 month, even more when it comes to storyline so probably it'd have to be planned a month or more in advance. I suggest you make a calender of appearances (and actions) so that everyone can make their comics as much as they want in advance.

2. I'm generally not a fan of crossovers, I don't like the constant leap in styles (unless it is Comic Writer X of course). This probably wouldn't be as much a problem since I would probably be drawing all comics that come out on my site.

3. I have a lot of other stuff to do (specially if thing that's cooking up over at Alex & Ilia goes on) so, although I am one of the more reliable artists (meaning, not missing updates etc) I wouldn't participate in organisation.
But I'd draw a comic, nothing easier than that.

4. I suggest you don't repeat Damonk's stunt, not totally, at least. Put as much of new ideas in it as you can. Or you can do something totally different. The great escape routine is not the only possible where lots of artists could participate with their sites - You migh be Damonk's fan, but that doesn't mean that you can't think of comething original too.

Mattgo210
Regular Poster

Post by Mattgo210 »

Be sure to post anything if something is going down because I am interested.
Pineys - Updates every Wednesday!!!

[AOD]
Cartoon Hero

Post by [AOD] »

Alrighty then! We've got some great ideas here.

Okay, if you really think you're serious about joining this event, please post in this topic by September 7th.

In your post, tell us:

1) How many comics you plan to contribute.
2) How long your buffer is.
3) What date would you be able to begin.
4) How much time will you have available for this?

When we know who's in and who isn't, we can make a calendar of appearances when we agree on a starting date.

@~AoD
My Comic Hexagon Death Squad

A Comic I do with my Buddy Raocow: Artificial Time XS

That guy
Cartoon Hero

Post by That guy »

I'm glad you're taking some initiative in setting things up, I totally appreciate it!
As for me:

1) I'm game for a good <i>10 comics</i>... more if needed to wrap things up.
2) A <i>buffer of a couple days</i> just to prep drawing new characters.
3) I'm planning on running the crossover alongside my regular comic, not as my main strip... so I can begin pretty much <i>any</i> time.
4) I tend to post each weekday, so I'd like it to run <i>2, maybe 3 weeks.</i>

~Will

Pimpette
Cartoon Hero

Post by Pimpette »

I can do one for sure... no more, probably, since my buffer's always a bit erratic. It could go up anytime from mid-September on.
I'm thinking mine would be one of those where the characters don't believe the revolutionists (or whatever they end up being called).

"Riiight, this 'author' person is out to get us. Sure."
That kind of thing.

A question, though: Are we posting this on our own sites as the journey moves through each comic, or is there going to be like a separate page on which all of these are going to be put? I think a few people have asked, but I don't think anyone's actually figured that out yet.

Carlin
...or Crossfire

Post by Carlin »

Count me in, if you want me in that is..

I have no buffer to speak of at this time. my updates are rather random at about once a week. Because i am too much of a gamer and spend all my time playing Halo. However I can put my heart in it if given motivation.

I can contribute about 5 comics maybe.. I can do more if needed/wanted, I dont know how this is all gonna go down so lets just say 5 to 10 comics.

Date I am able to begin, right now. I gots lots o' free time so I can get up and draw when you give the word.

And I suppose this also answers the last question of how much time do I have to contrubute.. LOTS. I have no job or school to worry about right now.

Also I am curious as to where these comics are to placed as well. In our sites or one central location?
I am The Poster Formerly Known as Crossfire. Or PFKAC. ...has a certain ring to it, no?

Reinder
Cartoon Hero

Post by Reinder »

I won't be able to make it. I'm wayy too bogged down right now.

[AOD]
Cartoon Hero

Post by [AOD] »

I think we could have it on our sites, either as a part of the main story, or on a separate sub-page on our sites. Then we could collaborate on a central location kinda thing - perhaps we could get a special account just for this - where we'd keep track of whose comics are going, where in the storyline they are, and who'll be in line for the next one. Like we could have several people on one storyline, several people on another, and all of their comics would be placed on separate columns.

Eventually it'd all meet up.

Comments? Ideas?

?@~AoD

Pimpette
Cartoon Hero

Post by Pimpette »

Eee... the separate storylines thing seems like it could get out of hand if you're not careful in controlling it. It may also prove difficult for the reader to figure out how to read it - like, in what order.
Probably a better idea is just to go back and forth between storylines.. a sort of "Meanwhile, these people are doing this.." kind of thing?

I like the idea of a central account... if we put all comics on there, then people moving their sites (which inevitably happens), there's no link-breakage, and the story remains intact months/years down the road.

[AOD]
Cartoon Hero

Post by [AOD] »

Uhmm.. is anyone... still interested at all?

?~AoD

Carlin
...or Crossfire

Post by Carlin »

*is

Also I agree that a central place to store the comics would be desirable. That way link breakage would be eliminated and it would be far less confusing to readers. Also it would keep the fourth wall intact for our individual comics. This is good for those of us who value the storys integrity.

Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

Post by Ti-Phil »

Of course, I still am interested!
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter