Second Great Escape?

For sign-ups for genre-related dropdowns and to discuss and organise crossover events.
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

Post by Ti-Phil »

hmm, perhaps I may give assistance for the matter of how the character decide to kill the other narrators? Well, in my side project wanderer of webcomics, the narrator (yes, the little talking box) can interract with Terra and Kefka, if the "said" character who begins the revolution against the narrator sees there are other like his or her own narrator, then he/she could decide to go after them?
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter

That guy
Cartoon Hero

Post by That guy »

I'm totally game for taking part, too, so long as we leave enough time to wrap up current storylines! I think it would be fun to get people looking at each other's strips.

As for killing the authors, I've made a few cameos as myself (my avatar, essentially) and I'm not opposed to going down for the cause ;).

And as for getting characters into other comics, I've got an inventor in my strip as well as a devil who has already transported my people into the internet a few times - like in this crossover ( http://thatguy.keenspace.com/d/20040224.html ) with http://catlegend.keenspace.com.

I hope this does take off, and that someone else handles the organization... but let me know if there's any ways I can help!

~Will

Malimar

Post by Malimar »

Heh, you know, those are some damn good ideas. Yeah, I can just see The Vampire (yeah, my characters all have names like The Hero and The Heroine and The Vampire and The Eyeball and Paper-Clip Man) deciding to go on a vast trip, getting characters all over the 'Space to rise up against their narratorial oppressors!
Best part is, the last time Vampire was in my comic, she declared she would be "leaving this comic forever". Awesome how these things work out sometimes, maybe she wasn't lying and she WAS leaving the comic, she was going off to get other characters rebelling...
Hrm.
And here's a thought:
Instead of doing a massive, single, everybody-at-once Great Escape, how about... One character starts going around liberating a couple characters, and then those characters start liberating -other- comics' characters, and it expands exponentially - like a meme - and it wouldn't be so centrally organized, just have each artist work with the next in the line - or rather, in the tree, if each character goes on to liberate ones in several other comics - thoughts?

[AOD]
Cartoon Hero

Post by [AOD] »

That sounds like an excellent idea!

Got a great idea to link up all the others: What about instead of having a Great Escape, we have a Cartoonal Revolution - call it a Great Leap Outwards - where the characters start plotting to overthrow the cartoonists, and then go forth and 'liberate' neighbouring comics! It'd be great!

Then we cartoonists should retaliate... Muwahahahah!

!~AoD
My Comic Hexagon Death Squad

A Comic I do with my Buddy Raocow: Artificial Time XS

Malimar

Post by Malimar »

I already retaliate for all the plotting against me by stealing their clothes, you should try it sometime.
Though, come to think of it, I guess that just foments more rage...

Reinder
Cartoon Hero

Post by Reinder »

It's workable unless you want the storyline to be resolved at the end. Then it doesn't look so good.

(I was rather looking forward to having the "liberators" becoming a bit more dangerous, putting on Nazi-style uniforms and hunting for narrators with the purpose of killing them)

Malimar

Post by Malimar »

That's awesome.
And if it branches out into a buhzillion crossover-type storylines... then each of those can be resolved by the couple people responsible.
Unless we want to conglomeratify everything, and eventually make everything into a single comic, that everybody submits their parts to. Keep it going forever and/or until it dies, whichever comes first.

Also, not quite on the exact same subject, maybe for those comics which normally try to have as solid a fourth wall as possible, treat it as... like, a dream, or a bad acid trip, or something along those lines.

BOMC
Cartoon Hero

Post by BOMC »

if you guys start organizing this while I am away, count me in ('ll be back aug 2)
-Grace (BOMC)

Reinder
Cartoon Hero

Post by Reinder »

What I had in mind for the solid-fourth-wall type of comics is that the characters involved wouldn't get it at all.
For instance, say that a narrator-killer would arrive in Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan and meet Krakatoa. The alien character would say something like "Take me to your narrator".
But Kra would hear it like "Take me to your Garblewarble", because the idea would be rejected completely by her brain.
So Kra would say "Pardon?" and the alien character would repeat himself. Staying in character, Kra's reply could be "look, I went to college and I've been around a bit, but I've never heard that word. Could you explain?"
Narrator-killer: "I mean Argle-wargle snoud."
Kra: "No, still not ringing a bell."
Narrator-killer: "*sigh*. Okay, who's the most powerful person in your world?"

That way you can keep the world of a comic and the character of whoever is confronted with the narrator-killer/liberator/whatever intact.

CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger

Post by CJBurgandy »

I'm not sure if it'd make sence for me to participate in this... my main character is me.... it's an autobiographical fiction story. :-?
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Post by Phact0rri »

would this be part of our comics? Or somthing extra. I'd like to see how this would be planned out. as I'm notoriously slow at drawing.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

That guy
Cartoon Hero

Post by That guy »

As for people like Burgandy, it's easy enough to get a one-comic gag in:

We're here to free you from the artist, join us in bringing down your creator!!!
You: Umm... yeah, you go ahead, I'll be right behind you I swear...

Or some such...

As for disrupting other storylines and organizing comics together - I think part of the difficulty will be that a lot of comics are only updated once or twice while others are every day, or each weekday, like mine.
For those who only go up a couple times a week, the storyline would have to last at least a few weeks to be worthwhile, otherwise it would just be a one-strip gag or cameo of people running through. Not sure how long people want to devote their comic to the plot.

In addition, would each artist do their own interpretations of other people's characters, or would we be sending our characters to each other to paste into the strips?

~Will

[AOD]
Cartoon Hero

Post by [AOD] »

I think artists would do interpretations of the characters, but I bet that if we just send a few samples of our characters, there certainly shouldn't be any problem with cut-pasting, except that the artist drawing the strip wouldn't be able to quite express what they want. So I guess both options are open, but that 'doing your own interpretation' should be reccommended.

How do you all feel about hosting it on Keenevents?

?~AoD

Phact0rri

Post by Phact0rri »

Well if its not until August my comic should be going to twice a week. As I'm planning for it now. So really that shouldn't be a problem. But having a central place like Keenevents would be a better place I think.

As to wrapping up storylines, my current storyline isn't close to being over, so I'll have to pause the action somehow.

as to characters involved. will we be using one character from our comics? As that might just be easier, then having to draw to many characters.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

Post by Ti-Phil »

I can just see it now:

Alien character: I've come to free you from the shackles of your narrator!

Terra : Yes! Finally!

Pete : Uh.. what do they mean by that? What is that Na Rator? A religious deity of this planet?

Mog: Pete, just read the big book I gave you Kupo.

Is there a place to sign in for this?
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter

Reinder
Cartoon Hero

Post by Reinder »

August is too early. Trust me on this. October at the very very earliest. Not just for me, for everyone.

[AOD]
Cartoon Hero

Post by [AOD] »

I think reindeer is right. I can't really finish up my storyline very soon, as I've got a buffer that goes straight on through next month! At the very earliest, September or October. Besides, we need to plan out what we'll do and such. I still haven't gotten feedback from Damonk about how the first one was organised.

Still waiting.

&~AoD

Godoftarot
Regular Poster

Post by Godoftarot »

Now wait...why can't this just be an extra? An "omake", so to speak. Rather than making everyone scramble to close up their storylines and all. Any comic that posts less than daily probably couldn't do it, not without making it a rush job.
http://godoftarot.keenspace.com
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."

Reinder
Cartoon Hero

Post by Reinder »

Even then, I'd recommend giving everyone plenty of time to prepare, not just so they can easily create the work, but so that they can at least start at the same time, coordinate it and hype it up (if they want to). Otherwise the whole thing will probably fizzle.

Me, I wouldn't make it part of an ongoing storyline, but I'd run it as a separate item. In fact, if I take part at all, I'll probably shunt the main storyline to a secondary page, and make the crossover story my main page. After all, people will probably go look at the main storyline anyway, and I'll want to make a Keenspace archive of the crossover whereas the main story would be archived at Modern Tales anyway.

Phact0rri

Post by Phact0rri »

well guess doing character designs would be good...

but we should begin to mention what characters will be where and at least a rough outline of what should happen so we know how to start.