RH Made Pournelle's Blog!

Post Reply
User avatar
Calbeck
Regular Poster
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: The Land of AZ
Contact:

RH Made Pournelle's Blog!

Post by Calbeck »

Ben's tribute to Peggy Gasperik earned a favorable mention in Jerry Pournelle's online diary:

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/view/view438.html#Peggy

In Memorium, Peggy Gasperik

http://nipandtuck.comicgenesis.com/

A fitting tribute to a friend we all miss.

User avatar
The JAM
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Somewhere in Mexico...
Contact:

Post by The JAM »

Yes, it did.

User avatar
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1433
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:03 pm
Location: Frozen plains of North Dakota...
Contact:

Post by StrangeWulf13 »

Uh, pardon my ignorance, but... who the heck is Jerry Pournelle? I've read the name before, but I'm not sure where, or what he's done... someone mind enlightening me?
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.

User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Post by BrockthePaine »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Pournelle

The Mote in God's Eye, King David's Spaceship, Footfall, CoDominium, Go Tell the Spartans...
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee

Labrusca
Regular Poster
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: Directly over the center of the earth.

Post by Labrusca »

I know who Pournelle is, but who was Peggy Gasperik? I can't find anything definitive in a search.
There's no insanity in my family. *I* have it all!!

User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Post by BrockthePaine »

I believe that she was the wife of Frank Gasperik, an illustrator of Pournelle and Niven's books. At least, that's the closest I can determine.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee

User avatar
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Forney, TX, U.S.A.
Contact:

Post by Wanderwolf »

labrusca wrote:I know who Pournelle is, but who was Peggy Gasperik? I can't find anything definitive in a search.
That's because Peggy herself was not a celebrity. The celeb was her husband, Frank Gasperik, who brought us the H. Beam Piper reprints:

http://www.zarthani.net/gasperik.htm

He's a well-known figure in science-fiction fandom, being a friend (as you can guess) of Niven, Pournelle, Baen, and many others. While not a writer himself, he's a writer's best friend, being one of those unusual people whose mind holds reams of information on every possible subject, handily indexed and available... as well as being an excellent proofreader. He's been credited in at least half of Niven's work to date, mainly for world-building and technology info.

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer

User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Post by BrockthePaine »

How'd I get that he was an illustrator?
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee

User avatar
The JAM
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Somewhere in Mexico...
Contact:

Post by The JAM »

Um, congratulations, then?

RHJunior
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1689
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: WV
Contact:

Post by RHJunior »

Such strange connections we all make, indeed....
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert

User avatar
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Forney, TX, U.S.A.
Contact:

Post by Wanderwolf »

BrockthePaine wrote:How'd I get that he was an illustrator?
Well, you will find his name on the same page as the word "illustrator", especially when it comes to the picture of him, drawn by Frank Kelly Freas.

Yours truly,

The Google-friendly,

Wanderer

User avatar
Calbeck
Regular Poster
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: The Land of AZ
Contact:

Post by Calbeck »

I should also note that Peggy was highly involved in sci-fi fandom, one of those "irreplaceable stalwarts" that so often make up the backbone of the convention circuit and other fannish endeavors. She's one of the people who made being a fan fun.

She will most definitely be missed on that account, even if she was not technically a celebrity in her own right.

Post Reply