[SIGNUP] New Signup Page Problems (6/22/2008) [Solved]

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Re: [SIGNUP] New Signup Problems (6/22/2008)

Post by STrRedWolf »

Sleepymonk11 wrote:Okay, here it goes:

I've signed up, waited the appropriate amount of time, got my Forum (obviously) and FTP account set up and activated and waited the appropriate amount of time again.

Whenever I try to login I'm told that my username/password is wrong. I've tried flat out turning off my firewall and anti-virus and still nothing. I'm at a loss. What do I do?

Is there any other that I can include that might help you understand the problem or is this common?
You're trying to log into Siteadmin using your comic account, or forum account? This isn't a signup problem, and should be in it's own thread.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

From the context of the message, it seems to me that you're trying to log into SiteAdmin.

Make sure that you log into the forum with the exact name of Sleepymonk11. Note that you can log in with sleepymonk11, SleepyMonk11 and SLEEPYMONK11 but if you use different capitalizations then SiteAdmin won't let you in. This is because both use the same database but work in (slightly) different ways.

SiteAdmin wants you to be EXACT, and will deny you access if it is not exact.

The forum will let you in with different letters so that Bob and bob are one user, not two (it would be really confusing if that happened!).

So to sum up: make sure you log into the forums with "Sleepymonk11".

RYXlord

Post by RYXlord »

Hey,

How long does it normally take between submitting the signup application and getting the first email? I submitted on Sunday noonish, and havnt recieved any word despite it now being wendsday 4ish.

If something went wrong, am I stuck waiting the two weeks for the application to expire? or can I just resubmit? Sorry if I’m just being impatient, I'm sorta anxious to get going.

Thanks a ton,

-RYX

STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Post by STrRedWolf »

RYXlord wrote:Hey,

How long does it normally take between submitting the signup application and getting the first email? I submitted on Sunday noonish, and havnt recieved any word despite it now being wendsday 4ish.

If something went wrong, am I stuck waiting the two weeks for the application to expire? or can I just resubmit? Sorry if I’m just being impatient, I'm sorta anxious to get going.

Thanks a ton,

-RYX
It's two weeks max to verify the signup and your email address. It's another week once you verify your signup to application of comics. Have you received the verification email?
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis

RYXlord

Post by RYXlord »

No, thats my worry. Sorry, should have been clearer.

STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Post by STrRedWolf »

RYXlord wrote:No, thats my worry. Sorry, should have been clearer.
PM me, with a reminder of your comic's username and the email address you used to sign up. Make sure you checked your spam traps to boot.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis

Datachasers
Regular Poster

Post by Datachasers »

Sleepymonk11 wrote:Okay, here it goes:

I've signed up, waited the appropriate amount of time, got my Forum (obviously) and FTP account set up and activated and waited the appropriate amount of time again.

Whenever I try to login I'm told that my username/password is wrong. I've tried flat out turning off my firewall and anti-virus and still nothing. I'm at a loss. What do I do?

Is there any other that I can include that might help you understand the problem or is this common?
happens to me a lot .. and its happening again.. ive been useing CG for quite a while and it seems to have this love = hate relationship with me somtimes it wants the password in caps sometimes not.. and sometimes its a mix ... :ick:
Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat.
-- R. Heinlein

Luchito
Regular Poster

Re: [SIGNUP] New Signup Page Problems (6/22/2008)

Post by Luchito »

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /home/space/keenspace/public_html/signup.php on line 86
Luis Gonz

STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Post by STrRedWolf »

Datachasers/Luchito? Are you still having problems with the signup screen?
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis

Warlordofnoodles

Post by Warlordofnoodles »

Hello. I'm brand BRAND new and a bit scketchy on a few things I'm afraid. I've seen some others seem to have the same problem as I but am still unsure.

Firstly, I signed up and got one e-mail with an activation code... I activated it still couldn't get online... Then some days later I got a second e-mail to activate my password and right after that I got another e-mail apparently for the perpose of activating said password. As of yet I cannot still log in.

My question is this. Am I right in thinking that I am waiting upon a fourth e-mail to finalize any more activations of things?

thank you

Octary

Post by Octary »

Hello, I just got my forum and site admin accounts set up, and even logged on via ftp, and attempted through ftp and on the site admin to upload a new comic.

It gives me critical error on the FTP, and informs me that I cannot write onto the folder on the site admin.

Is there an amount of time before I can upload the cover page + 2 comics I have prepared, in addition I need/want to delete the comic I gave to apply for it, since that was an old comic and not what I am doing anymore.

I was hoping to get this all fixed up today, while I do the third comic.

THanks.

[edit]
It functions now!

I was right, I just needed to wait. :)

starfallcomics

Post by starfallcomics »

hello i signed up got the email, and everything after 7 days another email. i got the site address and that, after 4 days now and i still can't seem to be able to logg in on the main site page at all. or get in to edit comic page. may i ask whats going on? why am I not able to sign in and that?

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

Two current problems.

First, new password emails are not being sent out. This means that new users are currently unable to set up their FTP password and gain access to their site. This problem is being looked at and hopefully there will be a fix soon.

Second, your username has a lower case first letter. This used to be corrected automatically, but it looks like a recent upgrade made that bit of code stop working. You will need to re-register on the forums (this does not affect your comic account), this time with a username that has a capital as the first letter. You may also need to use a different email to the one you already used. If you are adamant about keeping your current forum account, you might be able to get an admin to simply change your username, but their attention is currently occupied elsewhere.

Namely fixing the above two problems.

chroniclesofdagons

Post by chroniclesofdagons »

well then i supose thats my problem ..i haven´t got the new password mail

my comic name is Chronicles of Dragons
Sitename: chroniclesofdragons.comicgenesis.com
FTP username: chroniclesofdragons

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

Okay, this issue has long been resolved, so I'm un-sticky-ing it and leaving a link the Stickies thread.

Q_Slash
Regular Poster

Re: [SIGNUP] New Signup Page Problems (6/22/2008) [Solved]

Post by Q_Slash »

Hey,
I'm trying to get a new account for a comic I want to move and I keep getting invalid username errors.
I've tried the usernamed f4e and friends4ever and neither seem to work. I've checked and neither username has been taken so I'm lost.
I'M THE LETTER Q!!!
ImageImageImage

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you are trying to do? Your description is a little vague...

Q_Slash
Regular Poster

Post by Q_Slash »

Ok, first I went http://www.comicgenesis.com/signup.php
and then I filled out the form with all the information needed and hit the tickybox and hit verify.
Then it returned me to the same page and said "Invalid username!" on the top of the page in red text.
I tried again, using the username f4e(.comicgen.com) instead of friends4ever(.comicgen.com) this time.
Same error.
Tried again.
Same error.
Made sure f4e.comicgen.com and friends4ever.comicgen.com don't exist. They don't.
Try again, same error.
Posted problem on forum.
I'M THE LETTER Q!!!
ImageImageImage

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

Okay, I'm with you now.

Hmm.. most odd.
  • The names aren't taken.
  • Start with a letter.
  • No special characters.
  • At least three characters long
As far as I am aware, you can have numbers, so other than the "4" I can't see any reason why you wouldn't have a valid username.

I assume you included a sample?

Edit: Having read it more closely, looks like the form is saying "can not contain any symbols", not cannot contain special symbols. So I guess that means you can't have the number four, you'd either need to spell it or think of a different subdomain to use (note that the subdomain does not have to be the same as the comic name, it is just the most common way to do it).

Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Post by Kisai »

I've sent Kelly a message about this. The signup script is only allowing lowercase letters. It should at least allow numbers after the first character, but I'm not sure what the motivation for this is. The usernames have to be lowercase for DNS and name-conflict resolution, but aside from that there is really no reason to prevent f4e. I could manually change it (it's a lot of work) after the fact, but I'd like to figure out why it's set that way first.