CG updating not working

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

CG updating not working

Postby [geoduck] on Fri May 17, 2019 10:46 am

For my strip at least, both the auto- and manual-update systems aren't working. Any other ghost-town survivors having this problem?
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero

Re: CG updating not working

Postby Xwhy on Sat May 18, 2019 8:01 am

(x, why?) hasn’t updated either. There was no auto update overnight Friday, and the manual didn’t work either.
Xwhy
Regular Poster

Postby AustinWolfclaw on Sat May 18, 2019 8:23 am

It's happened to my webcomic Carnivores as well, and i think it's affected 1 other comic as well, cuz the queue was at 4 before i pushed the manual update button. I think CG_Cecilia crashed before it got its job done or something. @StrRedWolf can you confirm?
AustinWolfclaw

Postby [geoduck] on Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 am

AustinWolfclaw wrote:It's happened to my webcomic Carnivores as well, and i think it's affected 1 other comic as well, cuz the queue was at 4 before i pushed the manual update button. I think CG_Cecilia crashed before it got its job done or something. @StrRedWolf can you confirm?

StrRedWolf has said, on Twitter, that his CG password no longer works. So don't expect any quick resolution.
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero

akpth

Postby Cope on Sat May 18, 2019 11:05 am

I think Kisai disabled php to resolve a security issue, and the updater broke as an unintended consequence. I've tweeted her about it and am awaiting a response.

For the time being, you can put your pages up by editing the index.html file in the /public_html/ folder directly. Just upload your pages to the images folder and embed them from there.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Postby [geoduck] on Sat May 18, 2019 5:19 pm

I gave Cope's work-around a try, and while I can post a new strip, The System no longer recognizes the various "***" codes on that page. So anyone else doing it, you might want to test it all with a disposable page before committing your official index page.
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero

ackpth

Postby Cope on Sun May 19, 2019 10:13 am

[geoduck] wrote:I gave Cope's work-around a try, and while I can post a new strip, The System no longer recognizes the various "***" codes on that page. So anyone else doing it, you might want to test it all with a disposable page before committing your official index page.

Yeah, you'll want to download the index.html file directly from the public_html folder and edit that before re-uploading it (while possibly saving a backup somewhere in case you make a mistake). Comic Genesis tags like ***comic_name*** simply won't function without the updater. Sorry, it's all a bit convoluted. The system was never meant to work like this.

Anyway, I'm manually creating my html files for the daily archive and uploading them directly to the /d/ folder, and that's been working for now.
Image Image
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Re: ackpth

Postby [geoduck] on Mon May 20, 2019 9:39 am

Cope wrote:
[geoduck] wrote:I gave Cope's work-around a try, and while I can post a new strip, The System no longer recognizes the various "***" codes on that page. So anyone else doing it, you might want to test it all with a disposable page before committing your official index page.

Yeah, you'll want to download the index.html file directly from the public_html folder and edit that before re-uploading it (while possibly saving a backup somewhere in case you make a mistake). Comic Genesis tags like ***comic_name*** simply won't function without the updater. Sorry, it's all a bit convoluted. The system was never meant to work like this.

Anyway, I'm manually creating my html files for the daily archive and uploading them directly to the /d/ folder, and that's been working for now.

I appreciate the info, but for a daily strip like mine it's just not worth the hassle, and I have instead set up a re-direct prompt to my backup site over on Comic Fury. Which I created because I expected this day to come eventually.
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero

Make like a rat and flee.

Postby Cope on Mon May 20, 2019 10:04 am

Yeah, we probably should be taking this as a sign to finally jump ship. I'm just being stubborn because I'm right near the end of my storyline.

Throwing this out there for anyone who's interested: Smackjeeves lets you do bulk uploads now. Just go to "Manage Webcomic" click "Add a Comic Page" and then go to "[BETA] -> Try the New Uploader >>". Then just remember to select the "all at once" option from the drop-down menu and be on your way.
Image Image
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Postby Bobadventures on Wed May 22, 2019 8:17 am

Hi. Well, if I need to migrate my comic to another site, so be it, but is the false alert from Norton problem ever going to be fixed? I don't like the idea of my old archive remaining up but being permanently tainted with this ridiculous thing.
Bobadventures
Regular Poster

Dispatches from the ghost town.

Postby Cope on Wed May 22, 2019 12:48 pm

Bobadventures wrote:Hi. Well, if I need to migrate my comic to another site, so be it, but is the false alert from Norton problem ever going to be fixed?

Sorry, that's looking less and less likely. If it's any consolation, Norton/Symantec only accounts for about 5% of the AV market.

Before you leave, you may want go into your public_html folder and edit the "index.html" file in order to leave your readers a link to your new home.
Image Image
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Postby Bobadventures on Wed May 22, 2019 11:06 pm

I intend to. As I said, I've got a three day weekend coming up, so that will be the best time to set up a new home on SmackJeeves and then post a big friendly link to it on ComicGenesis.

Do you suppose contacting Norton would help?

Thank you, Cope. This is all just so sad. And sudden, if not unexpected.
Bobadventures
Regular Poster

Naughty Norton

Postby Cope on Thu May 23, 2019 3:50 pm

Bobadventures wrote:Do you suppose contacting Norton would help?

You can try, but I doubt it. It seems we'd need to prove that we own Comic Genesis just to request a review.
Image Image
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Postby Bobadventures on Fri May 24, 2019 2:01 am

Oy.
Bobadventures
Regular Poster

Postby Packrat on Thu May 30, 2019 5:03 pm

dang.

rumb;les back when chara started to leak.

had the PW stop working, before Lost the site to squabbles. not fun.

+now. almost june, 2019
I'll give it some time yet
packrat, area163 SF, luddite, writer, pat's petri-dish productions, canadian, eh? http://packrat.comicgenesis.com
http://youtube.ca/area163
Packrat
Regular Poster

Re: ackpth

Postby Ebenezer Splooge on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:24 pm

Cope wrote:

This is what I've been doing. I only update weekly so it's not that bad, AND the comic's got so much web authority I don't really want to lose it so here's hoping the hosting doesn't get shut down.
Ebenezer Splooge

Postby STrRedWolf on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:50 pm

Hey folks. I've been... away.

I've gone in, updated a few items, and fixed the issues. It should be running now.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Return to Help Center