Throwing in the Towel (for now)

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.
Post Reply
User avatar
WeirdMeh
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:29 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Throwing in the Towel (for now)

Post by WeirdMeh »

I have been waiting since the end of October to register at keenspace for a site and still have yet to see my comic online. I am now going to look for other temporary sites I could put my comic on. Does anyone else here know a halfway decent web-hosting site that allows CGIs? And then (as I know nothing about computers) explain how I would go about running a CGI program. Thanks for listening to me pathetically wining about my comic not online.
Meh comics. If you hate high school, this is the place for you!
http://www.mehcomics.1afm.com

ZOMBIE USER 12476
Regular Poster
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Post by ZOMBIE USER 12476 »

Hey hey, join the club. I've been waiting since early november... at least that's when my computer says I bookmarked the join form. Rather than look for a new place, I decided to just wait it out and create web content. I don't know any HTML at all, so I can't get a head start on that, but I have redesigned my comic about 5 times, and finally started something I like and made two strips so far! whee.

The whole point of my post: get everything ready for the site, then work on a backlog of strips and stuff, then worry about a site.

ZOMBIE USER 10799
Regular Poster
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Post by ZOMBIE USER 10799 »

well while you're waiting besides creating a backlog of comics (which helps immensly) and redesigning your site, learning HTML is fairly easy, and will really help you out
<a href="http://www.htmlgoodies.com">htmlgoodies</a> is a good site to start learning on and <a href="http://www.w3schools.com">w3schools</a> is a slightly more advanced one. If you take the time to learn basic html you'll be much happier

Room42_Roy
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 12:02 am

Post by Room42_Roy »

I can sympathize with anyone who has been waiting an eternity for their comic to be up. I've been waitin' since sept. and have done 7 strips so far. But, alas! I can do nothing with them. I'm all dressed up and no where to go, so to speak.

Room42_Roy
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 12:02 am

Post by Room42_Roy »

I can sympathize with anyone who has been waiting an eternity for their comic to be up. I've been waitin' since sept. and have done 7 strips so far. But, alas! I can do nothing with them. I'm all dressed up and no where to go, so to speak.

User avatar
Cassaclyzm
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Canada, eh?
Contact:

Post by Cassaclyzm »

I'm in waiting limbo, too... Though not for nearly as long as most of you patient people. Once sign-ups are available again I'll probably hold off for a bit to make sure that everyone who's been waiting has had a chance *laughs*
~Cassaclyzm
"Imagination is the Foundation of Reality"

User avatar
SHO
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: detroit
Contact:

Post by SHO »

Not to scare any of the newbies but when you get your site, there aint no guarntee you will keep it. My dissappeared months ago and havent seen it since, still not sure if I should just join again or just wait it out.

User avatar
Seven3
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Seven3 »

Accounts don't just disappear. I think they had a clean out a while back, but that was only of accounts that been inactive for more than three months. The problems we have at the moment are DNS issues caused by a server move.

Your site address is actually a string of numbers (like 66.118.149.44) When you type in your address (eg gear.keenspace.com), your browser contacts a database and asks for the numbers for that address.
The problem here is that some sites have moved to to a new server (with a new string of numbers), but no-one's told the database. So when you ask for a comic that's moved, the database give you the numerical address for where your comic used to be, and your browser can't find it.

There's some more info on the Gear that may be useful.
<B>Don't Panic.</B> - Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, Isaiah 43.

User avatar
Katrino
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:45 pm
Location: Oviedo, FL
Contact:

Post by Katrino »

regarding the place with CGI and such, Netfirms is a very nice/evil/good/bad/crappy/cool server (with sparatic deletions of the contents of your CGI-BIN, don't worry, only happened twice to me)

It's a nice place to get started, I have a website there...

http://www.nordrassil.netfirms.com (me name is Vidofnir there)

They place a banner ad on the top (which is okay unless you use frames) but offer SSI, CGI, FTP Uploading, and 25 megs of webspace...

And yes, I am waiting for an account here, too... I guess I should werk more on my site...
<i>If everything is okay then it's over, but if everything is not okay then it's not over...</i>

The answer to life, the universe, and everything is <b>42</b>...
The question to the answer is <b>What do you get when you multiply six by nine?</b>...
Thank you for reading this.
<a href="http://www.nordrassil.netfirms.com/join.shtml">Join Nordrassil</a>

User avatar
SHO
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: detroit
Contact:

Post by SHO »

Seven3 wrote:Accounts don't just disappear. I think they had a clean out a while back, but that was only of accounts that been inactive for more than three months. The problems we have at the moment are DNS issues caused by a server move.

Your site address is actually a string of numbers (like 66.118.149.44) When you type in your address (eg gear.keenspace.com), your browser contacts a database and asks for the numbers for that address.
The problem here is that some sites have moved to to a new server (with a new string of numbers), but no-one's told the database. So when you ask for a comic that's moved, the database give you the numerical address for where your comic used to be, and your browser can't find it.

There's some more info on the Gear that may be useful.
Fine, technically my site has not vanished, but for all intents and purposes it has because I cant go to it an neither can anybody else. Call it a site address/database issue or say a little green monster ate it, the end result is no comic.

ZOMBIE USER 10799
Regular Poster
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Post by ZOMBIE USER 10799 »

back to the origional topic, i'm checking out <a href="http://www.brinkster.com">brinkster</a> and it's free and might have CGI access... i'll explore it more later

User avatar
Skeane
Regular Poster
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:53 am
Location: MA
Contact:

netfirms

Post by Skeane »

My keenspace site's been down for months now; I set up an alternate at http://www.netfirms.com

It's really dependable and suits my needs perfectly. You should check them out. (they support movabletype and cgi. Php support is reserved for paying-members only).
Error404 Comics:

Image
skeane74@yahoo.com

User avatar
ArcticLaser
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: In multiple comics
Contact:

Yeah, netfirms seems good but...

Post by ArcticLaser »

Read the TOS. No MP3s, MPEG, Quicktime, RM, WMA, etc. That may be fine if you don't provide occasional audio/video extras, I don't advocate sharing music/videos, etc. However, they also do not allow .exe, .zip, .pdf, etc. I'd be real careful what I put on my site. The free account also doesn't let you link to "questionable content", which some comics may fall under, or link to a page without linking to another netfirms page. By all outward appearances it's great, but be careful.

Mischief C Mayhem
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:08 pm

Post by Mischief C Mayhem »

...I've been waiting since late August...I'm REALLY thinking their is no end in sight.

Post Reply