FTP OH FTP!
- LORRD_HIKARU
- Newbie
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:45 pm
- Contact:
FTP OH FTP!
I update my comic when i can, However I cant seem to use any ftp to change the site design, most of the tutorials don't seem to be doing the trick, any info will be greatly apriciated
forgive me if this questions been asked a million times before 
True happynes depends on how many times you get to say thank you from the bottom of your heart.
- Spike tailer
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:28 am
- Location: Norway
- Contact:
to change ur site layout, you have to:
1 save your page by klicking File>Save as
2 edit it by opening it from the computer and klick View>Source
3 edit the HTML
4 SAAAAVE as .htm or .html document
5 name it indextemplate.html or dailytemplate.html
6 upload it with ur FTP program
7 go to the <a href="http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com/">site admin</A>page
8 choose "full update"
9 wait for it to finish
10 I belive that was it...
Oh! Remember that the indextemplate.html is only for the
newest comic-page! The dailytemplate.html is the one that
chooses the layout for all the other comic-strips (or pages).
Did u gettit?
For me, it took about 2 weeks to understand this...
1 save your page by klicking File>Save as
2 edit it by opening it from the computer and klick View>Source
3 edit the HTML
4 SAAAAVE as .htm or .html document
5 name it indextemplate.html or dailytemplate.html
6 upload it with ur FTP program
7 go to the <a href="http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com/">site admin</A>page
8 choose "full update"
9 wait for it to finish
10 I belive that was it...
Oh! Remember that the indextemplate.html is only for the
newest comic-page! The dailytemplate.html is the one that
chooses the layout for all the other comic-strips (or pages).
Did u gettit?
For me, it took about 2 weeks to understand this...
We remind you that the message above is 100% NOT ironic
- LORRD_HIKARU
- Newbie
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:45 pm
- Contact:
- Spike tailer
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:28 am
- Location: Norway
- Contact:
- LORRD_HIKARU
- Newbie
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:45 pm
- Contact:
It's been around since 2003, I'm just not sure if comic genesis has a specific way that we were supposed to ftp our files, I did it long long ago but I'm not sure if it changed or not. if so anyone know of any comicgenesis-specific ways/tutorials to ftp your comic site? 
True happynes depends on how many times you get to say thank you from the bottom of your heart.
- LORRD_HIKARU
- Newbie
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:45 pm
- Contact:
Hey guys it's me again, I swear I'm getting close but I still cant seem to get any ftp to let me connect to comicgenesis, I keep getting this:
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
Response: 220-You are user number 3 of 50 allowed.
Response: 220-Local time is now 18:35. Server port: 21.
Response: 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
Response: 220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 3 minutes of inactivity.
Command: USER LORRD_HIKARU
Response: 331 User LORRD_HIKARU OK. Password required
Command: PASS ********
Response: 530 Login authentication failed
this dose'nt make much sence to me seing as how I've never chainged any passwords, and I can upload a comic page using the site admin. Wat am I doing wrong i just wanna connect
sorry to bug you guys again I just reely wanna fix me site
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
Response: 220-You are user number 3 of 50 allowed.
Response: 220-Local time is now 18:35. Server port: 21.
Response: 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
Response: 220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 3 minutes of inactivity.
Command: USER LORRD_HIKARU
Response: 331 User LORRD_HIKARU OK. Password required
Command: PASS ********
Response: 530 Login authentication failed
this dose'nt make much sence to me seing as how I've never chainged any passwords, and I can upload a comic page using the site admin. Wat am I doing wrong i just wanna connect
sorry to bug you guys again I just reely wanna fix me site
True happynes depends on how many times you get to say thank you from the bottom of your heart.
- Dr Neo Lao
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2397
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:21 am
- Location: Australia
2003? You're not trying to connect to Butch, are you?
You should be connecting to ftp.YOURCOMICNAME.comicgenesis.com and using your ftp password (not the forum password).
If you have not used an ftp program to connect to your comic since before the sever migration, you might need to apply for a new password. Unlikely, but still a possibility. How to change passwords.
The next thing to try would be a different ftp program. Newer versions tend to be better and 'proper' ftp programs like Deamweaver tend to be more stable than free-download programs off the net.
Other than that, it might be something like a firewall or anti-virus on your computer. Can you ftp to any other sites? Can you log in from another computer?
You should be connecting to ftp.YOURCOMICNAME.comicgenesis.com and using your ftp password (not the forum password).
If you have not used an ftp program to connect to your comic since before the sever migration, you might need to apply for a new password. Unlikely, but still a possibility. How to change passwords.
The next thing to try would be a different ftp program. Newer versions tend to be better and 'proper' ftp programs like Deamweaver tend to be more stable than free-download programs off the net.
Other than that, it might be something like a firewall or anti-virus on your computer. Can you ftp to any other sites? Can you log in from another computer?
Last edited by Dr Neo Lao on Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
- LORRD_HIKARU
- Newbie
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:45 pm
- Contact:
I did the change password thing"activated & all", and i messed with the fire wall ( i'm using dream weaver 8) but i still can't seem to connect i keep getting the:remote host cannot be found message, "sigh" this is turning my brain in knots
i pretty much know what to do as soon as I get connected, I just don't ever remember it being this hard, I thnak you guys for all your insite
True happynes depends on how many times you get to say thank you from the bottom of your heart.
- Dr Neo Lao
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2397
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:21 am
- Location: Australia
- LORRD_HIKARU
- Newbie
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:45 pm
- Contact:
hmm, this is how i have it filled out:
Access: ftp
FTP host: ftp://kenjiandmokoto.comicgenesis.com
Host Directory: comicgenesis
Login: lorrd_hikaru
Password:********
Use passive ftp.
i'm not to sure if iv'e got something backwards
Access: ftp
FTP host: ftp://kenjiandmokoto.comicgenesis.com
Host Directory: comicgenesis
Login: lorrd_hikaru
Password:********
Use passive ftp.
i'm not to sure if iv'e got something backwards
True happynes depends on how many times you get to say thank you from the bottom of your heart.
- Dr Neo Lao
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2397
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:21 am
- Location: Australia